Hi,
Just checking really, im looking at getting a new system this summer and have been looking at AMD boards this time around.
Can someone please confirm that i have it right that the only differance between an AM2+ and an AM3 Motherboard is the memory support.
Thanks

Mactronix

Its just that im trying to get some sort of buying list together and i need to cross some things off the list.
looking at the cost of Ram these days and given that i have seen benchmarks that show no real differance, im looking at re-using the 4GB kit of DDR2 that i have which means an AM2+ Board.
Im looking at building when the Phenom respin comes out in the summer.
The other issue is Bulldozer, AMD's new Arch that is meant to fit in AM3 sockets. When some specs come out i will know better but if that is going to be DDR3 only then i guesss i will have to bite the bullet and get some DDR3.

The other option i have is to say sod it and keep my 775 Rig and put a 8600 or a Q series chip in it.

Hmm Decisions decisions :pt1cable:

Mactronix

FlorinR

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
i think memory support and higher HT speeds.. can someone chime in? would like to find out myself..

I have an AM2+ board and Cpu-z tells me i have a HT Link of 2000 Mhz. If someone have a AM3 mb and a different ht speed, feel free to tell...

And the CPU is PII 955.

azs

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007

The difference is that an AM2+ board will accept an AM2 or AM3 CPU while AM3 board will only accept AM3 processor. The AM2 processor does not have a DDR3 memory controller and the AM3 boards only have DD3 memory sockets.

So from a practical point of view, make sure you get a motherboard that matches your CPU.

BigDog76_02

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Go with the AM3 as the thuban hexa cores will (should be) released in April and will only work in AM3. There is also rumors that the bulldozer will fit/work in this socket. AMD is supposedly working on 4-12 (physical) core cpus for this year and up to 16 cores for '11. I would assume that these would work in the AM3 socket as well.

Chris

Thuban is actually supposed to work with AM2+ as well

Problem with an AM3 board is that then i have to spend out for DDR3 which with prices as they are would cost me more than a decent CPU. I'm either going to try and get a 555 BE and unlock it £70 or just get a 965 £140. New DDR3 Ram starts at £100.
As it makes no difference to the benchmarks worth talking about as far as gaming is concerned then it would be stupid to buy it when i have a bunch of DDR2 sitting here.

Mactronix

randomkid

Distinguished
This is true. If for totally new build, go for AM3 but if there is already a bunch or DDR2 RAMs unused, most cost effective solution is buy AM2+ motherboard. If will be instant $60-80 less cash out for a 4GB RAM capacity...