Sign in with
Your question

Mid tower case ~$100

Last response: in Components
November 27, 2009 6:02:20 PM

i wanna mid-tower case about $100 or less that can fit a hd 5870 with bottom mounted PSU, preferably black interior

i do not plan on water cooling, so good amount of air cooling is good... must also be able to fit a xigmatek dark knight

any ideas?

More about : mid tower case 100

November 27, 2009 6:18:59 PM

hmm... no black interior... any other choices? that one looks pretty damn good so far, i might just buy it before the day ends
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2009 6:21:11 PM

much cheaper on newegg
m
l
November 27, 2009 6:41:55 PM

omg the k62 is BEAUTIFUL... but $25 shipping? really?
m
l
November 27, 2009 7:31:07 PM

well I have really been thinking about the lancool case for these reasons.
I really like the black interior. In fact, the only reason I didn't go right off the bat and buy a Cooler Master HAF 922 was because it lacked the black interior.
The totally tool-less design is brilliant, especially on the PSU and the expandion slots. (Having eight expansion slots is another great add-on)
I like how many blue LED fans actually came with the case, and they seem to really light it up.

Now here are the reasons I most certainly will not be ordering it.

The features may be great, but the quality is nothing like what you would expect to find in any case at all.
Firstly, the side panel is made of metal, which is not as flexible as plastic. A number of reviewers said theirs came cracked.
I have heard instances where someones HDD came into contact with a steel part of the case, causing his $2000 rig to catch on fire!
I have also heard numerous stories of the PSU strap snapping into two pieces.
There is no external 3.5 drive bay

It is all in this review. And be sure to read the page after the last, where it shows the comments.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Lancool/Dragonlord_K...
m
l
November 27, 2009 8:36:23 PM

i have the lancool dragonlord k62 myself. its beautiful and extremely well ventilated.

im going to my first lan since getting this case today, so im looking forward to some feedback from fellow gamers. :D 

but yes, its a great case and i highly recomend it.
m
l
November 27, 2009 8:37:50 PM

gotta add, i think those things you mentioned are fairly rare occurances. mine came in perfect condition, nothing broke and nothing caught on fire.

its probably the best case ive ever seen. and BY FAR ther best case ive ever insalled a system into.
m
l
November 27, 2009 9:37:28 PM

but what about this thing having to do with the 3.5" drive bay missing?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2009 10:26:08 PM

@OP:
Why not just grab a good case like a HAF 932/922 and a can of black spray paint and paint the inside? It's only about 40-45 minutes work.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 28, 2009 2:23:20 AM

ckaz - I read the comments with mild amusement.

1. The side panels are definitely made of metal. Absolutely, positively, 100% correct. The vast majority of case panels are made of metal. The actual comment was about the plastic window on the side panel being cracked. I believe there was a problem with the mounting screw being screwed in too tight. That is definitely a quality control issue. The case should have been inspected and the window should have been replaced before the case ever left the factory.

2. The comment about the fried hard disk drive is just plain speculation. Just about all pc components and peripherals are in some way connected to the case frame which is connected to the power supply that acts as a ground. I've been using screws to install hard drives since 1985 and never had a hard drive go up in smoke.

3. Yes, the user broke the strap used to secure the power supply. There is no mention of that in the tehnical reviews I read. The reviews indicate it was very easy to secure the power supply. I went back and looked at the video clips and it seemed okay.

4. There definitely is no 3.5 inch external drive bay. My Coolermaster HAF 932 has no 3.5 inch external drive bay. Many popular cases have no 3.5 inch external drive bay. That's pretty standard now. Perhaps what was meant there was no 3.5 inch drive bay cover or perhaps a 5.25 inch to 3.5 inch bay adapter. The 3.5 inch external drive bays have pretty much disappeared just like the external firewire port on the front, the power reset button, and the internal case speaker. They've all been replaced with new and improved parts.

BTW - This is getting off subject but one our regulars here always laments the disappearance of the internal case speakers. I guess he knows every beep and error code by heart. At first the speaker was replaced with a couple of small led's in different colors. Last weekend I was at Fry's Electronics. I saw two motherboards that had a genuine digital display that was capable of actually displaying the error messages. No more trying to figure out the beeps. Very Cool!

EDIT - I almost forgot. Lian Li offers an all aluminum version of the Lancool Dragon Lord but it is sold as a Lian Li case with a different model name. It costs a heck of a lot more too.

I knew there was a reason I read technical reviews but not user comments.
m
l
November 28, 2009 5:10:10 AM

haha a very logical response. I commend you on keeping your head when surrounded by so many doubts :p 

I am truly having the most troubles deciding between the k62 and the HAF 922. Right now, I am leaning alot towards the K62, with the possibe intention of replacing the side panel.
Does Lancool make a compatible replacement side panel? I don't really like the looks of the stock one.
m
l
November 28, 2009 5:52:12 AM

The hell with buy a case and spray paint, LOL. Just get the Cooler Master Storm Scout, add a quality psu like Corsair and have a kick ass system.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 28, 2009 8:38:40 AM

The Lancool Dragon Lord comes in seven variations, with and without a side panel window:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/deepsearch_v3.asp?scriteria=...

Currently mwave.com has the lowest price in the USA.

Here are the two Lian Li all aluminum cases that were the basis for the Dragon Lord:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=B...

You'll notice the major difference is the top to bottom, all in one drive cage cage in the original Lian Li version.

Finally, here is a Lian Li all aluminum case that I'm considering getting that would be good for a case mod project:

Silverstone is another brand that offers premium aluminum cases. Here's their unique FT01 Fortress case:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?p...

janxta - Last year I did a Coolermaster HAF 932 case mod. Among other things I painted the entire interior black. Not that hard to do.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2009 2:36:56 PM

Quote:
Among other things I painted the entire interior black. Not that hard to do.

Exactly what I was saying.
m
l
November 28, 2009 3:27:49 PM

the lian li P50r made me drool, but the price is just to much.

Now I know that I want the Lancool K62, but the problem is this.
Newegg.ca has the HAF 922 for $80 plus free shipping.
The Lancool is $120 while paying the price for regular shipping.
In fact, the only reason I am buying a new case is too take advantage of the black friday sales.
The things that are holding me back from the HAF 922 are these:
No side panel, which I can live with but instead they replace it with fan slots, that will attract huge amounts of dust.
It doesn't come with the same amount of fans, or LED fans as the Lancool
No black interior.

I have heard it isn't to hard to paint it, but I would be a but worried when doing it. Could someone please recommend me a guide of some sort?

m
l
November 28, 2009 6:06:19 PM

janxta said:
The hell with buy a case and spray paint, LOL. Just get the Cooler Master Storm Scout, add a quality psu like Corsair and have a kick ass system.

i totally giggled when i read this comment...
...dude, my current case IS A COOLER MASTER SCOUT, and my current psu is a CORSAIR HX750.

don't get me wrong, the case is amazing, but it can't fit a hd 5870. i want a mid tower that CAN do that

in fact, if you go on newegg and read the highest rated review for the HX750... it was written by yours truly \m/(-_-)\m/
[the velvet bag one]

ALSO i would love to paint my own interior, holy cow I wanted to do that with my cooler master stacker 830, it was a beautiful case, but nasty aluminum inside... but as a college student with very little time AND money, i would rather just buy something with an interior black... if i get the time, i'll paint it one day... again, interior black is NOT A MUST, but it sure is a positive
m
l
November 28, 2009 6:43:34 PM

then I would def say go with the lancool k62
m
l
November 28, 2009 6:56:38 PM

problem with that is it's $125, not $100 or less.. i might just wait until a free shipping sale pops up

anyone with any experience with the thermaltake element g? it looks kinda cheesy, but it is cheaper
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 28, 2009 7:40:18 PM

GEEZ! Canadian Dollars! US Dollars! What the heck! It's only money! :lol: 
m
l
November 28, 2009 11:00:07 PM

lol, maybe the dragonlord k58 or k56 would be better for you?

no side window and a lower cost?

http://www.*****/news/cases-power-cooling/lancool-lianli-shows-dragonlord-series-cases/

took my k62 to a LAN last night. it got some atention ;) 

everyone seemed to love it. one drawback ive found though id the 'easy to remove vent and front panel' are a little too easy to remove. carrying it in and the top vent popped off, guy sat next to me thought my system has exploded. lol

good case though. :D 
m
l
November 28, 2009 11:01:25 PM

omg, toms blocks other hardware review sites? that unbelievable. jeez.

the site is hardwarecanucks btw, so just replace the stars
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 29, 2009 12:18:09 AM

OK! Let's see what happens

http://www.*****/news/cases-power-cooling/lancool-lianli-shows-dragonlord-series-cases/

Well Phooey! I wonder what happened. Never had any problems linking to them in the past. I don't think Tom's blocked them. Must be some sort of glitch.
m
l
November 29, 2009 2:22:13 AM

i would try to replace it, except the entire link is jumbled up, so i can't expand it
m
l
November 29, 2009 4:23:48 AM

Apparently no one knows how to do a little research, guy gives a review on newegg and says he has a 5870 installed. Go to newegg and read the review of the Storm Scout 'Great Buy for the Price'. Says he has a 5870 installed, whassup with that LOL!
m
l
November 29, 2009 5:48:05 AM

@eklips, just click the link. it should take you to a broken link page but with the full adress in the toolbar. then reaplce the stars with hardwarecanucks.
m
l
November 29, 2009 5:49:12 AM

so go to hardwarecanucks[DOT]comnews/cases-power-cooling/lancool-lianli-shows-dragonlord-series-cases

that should be right....
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 29, 2009 11:23:07 AM

janxta - Fitting a 5870 in any of the cases mentioned in this thread is not an issue. All of them are larger cases that can accomodate a 5870.
m
l
November 29, 2009 2:00:06 PM

Your positively right, just referring to original thread. Wanna case, all black with a bottom mount psu etc. Already has a case that will work but wants to giggle and get hard with it. NUFF SAID.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 29, 2009 2:22:44 PM

janxta - Yeah! Case selection can be a royal PITA sometimes.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 29, 2009 3:42:21 PM

Thanks for the tip.
m
l
November 29, 2009 4:29:26 PM

I recommend Cooler Master Gladiator 600 that im using myself. It looks so darmn cool and hase 2 built in fans (one can glow blue and it looks awesome), and a place for 2 more fans. The power supply (whitch you must buy separately) stands in the bottom of the case. I have radeon hd 4890, phenom II x3 720, 650W, and even in 100% usage of the comp (ex. when playing Chrysis Warhead on max settings) it remains completely silent (it was so silent i thought the fans didnt worked).
m
l
November 29, 2009 4:31:46 PM

janxta said:
Apparently no one knows how to do a little research, guy gives a review on newegg and says he has a 5870 installed. Go to newegg and read the review of the Storm Scout 'Great Buy for the Price'. Says he has a 5870 installed, whassup with that LOL!

dude, i checked newegg for storm scout w/ 5870reviews, and i didn't find any...and there's very little clearance, i don't wanna squeeze anything in... i'll check for myself

nonetheless, i still need a new case. the k62 is looking the sexiest to me right now, i might just wait for it to go on sale or something

"Wont fit cards like 5870's."
straight from newegg

i'll get the k60w if it drops in price first... i want the window
m
l
November 29, 2009 5:27:21 PM

did you mean the k62 wouldn't fit cards like 5870's? which case were you referring to, because i was 30 secnds away from ordering the k62 when I read that. Fitting the bigger sides graphics cards are a must for me.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 29, 2009 7:13:05 PM

The ATI Radeon HD 5870 video card will definitely fit in the Lian Li/Lancool Dragon Lord cases. That's one of the features that is stressed at the Lancool web site.
m
l
November 29, 2009 7:52:26 PM

K. I am ordering the lancool k62 today, but I just can't decide who to order it from.

Canadacomputers has it cheapest for $120, but I haven't heard much about them, and since this case often comes ith a cracked side window, I need to make sure there is good customer service, so that if mine comes cracked I can send it back without any skin off my nose. Newegg has it for $130, and I am tempted to go with them because i know I can trust them..
Has anybody had any experience with canadacomputers, cause due to their competitive pricing ($6.99 shipping), I would prefer to go with them
m
l
November 29, 2009 10:14:13 PM

chiefvalue has the k62 for $110 free shipping for me here in NY

OK guys, i have three choices now

thermaltake element S
thermaltake element G
and the Lian-Li K62, which is the cheapest of the 3.... which one should I go with?

I'm crossing my fingers for a deal on cyber monday XD
m
l
November 29, 2009 11:30:10 PM

well i can also confirm that the lancool k62 can fit a 58xx GPU. since the video card can extend into one of the drive bays if nescasarry, clearence is not an issue.

i love the casem but of course its a real matter of opinion.

m
l
!