Sign in with
Your question

$1000 or so gaming rig. Thoughts?

Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2009 8:21:38 AM

Hey everyone. Kinda new here. Been doing research the past few days about building a pretty good gaming rig. Just wanted to post my idea and get some constructive criticism. Also, plan on getting everything from newegg.

Purchase date within 2wks time.
Range: As posted, $1000 give or take.
Usage: Gaming, media, internet.
Preference: AMD please. No intel.
OC: Yes -- Xfire: Yes

Case: NZXT Tempest ($110 -- $90 M&R)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Corsair 750TX ($120 -- $100 M&R)

CPU
: Phenom II x4 955 BE (With Mobo Combo $374)
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

GPU: HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890($200 -- $190 M&R)

HDD: WD Cav Black 620GB($75)

Memory: ??

Total: $829 after M&R.

Oh, and a couple questions. One, is the difference btwn the Corsair 750TX and 750HX worth that much? Two, I was thinking about going with OCZ RAM but I've heard they've been known to be defective. And lastly, three, would I need a cooler of some sort given all the fans in the Tempest?(Sorry. still doing my research on coolers and heatsinks.)

Other than that, what do ya'll think? Btw, I can give or take $200 from the $1000 mark.
September 6, 2009 8:55:05 AM

Quote:
xXr3d3mpt1onXx Wrote:
----------------------------------------
Oh, and a couple questions. One, is the difference btwn the Corsair 750TX and 750HX worth that much?

The difference between the HX750 and TX750 is that the HX version is modular allowing you to keep the case clean achieving higher airflow (not necessarily) and replacing current connections with future ones you may need so it doesn't worth it EXCEPT if we were talking about the HX850 as it's higher Wattage and "ampere", has higher efficiency (80+ Silver) and single +12V Rail.

Quote:
xXr3d3mpt1onXx Wrote:
-----------------------------------------
Two, I was thinking about going with OCZ RAM but I've heard they've been known to be defective.

I don't know about that hope someone else does.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you said you're planing to CrossFireX the HD4890 so my suggestion won't work but you may consider 2x HD4770 CF for about $20 more and it beats HD4890 and GTX275 with stock speeds and it overclocks very good.

Regards.
September 6, 2009 4:12:12 PM

OCZ are really good rams, always considered to be one of the best. Take 1333mhz, higher is pointless. I agree to everything psycho said, however I wouldnt take 4890, I'd wait for dx11 card, they will be released really soon and should provide much more performance and if you would still want 4890, it will be much cheaper by then.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
September 6, 2009 4:41:28 PM

As a systems builder on the side what i've been doing is spec out and build 720BE/955BE (according to client budget) and hit a chipset with IGP like 785G/790GX (again budget) and voila: functional 24/7 rig whilst awaiting them juicy HD5k cards hehe They cool if gaming needs not immediate though ^^ 790FX is overpriced IMO
September 6, 2009 5:03:28 PM

szymek said:
I agree to everything psycho said, however I wouldnt take 4890, I'd wait for dx11 card, they will be released really soon and should provide much more performance and if you would still want 4890, it will be much cheaper by then.

Agree about the HD4890 and HD5870 thing! But that's only if you CAN wait till they're released or will pick a different mobo (785GX and 790X), assemble, use (LIGHT!) and add a HD5850/70 when it comes out.

Regards.
September 6, 2009 5:48:19 PM

Thanks for all the help! :D  Yeah, I think I'll wait for the 5870 to come out. A little more than two weeks, here we come. Also, when I eventually Xfire these, you think I'd need something like the 850HX as a power source? The question about the fan remains as well.
September 6, 2009 6:00:27 PM

xXr3d3mpt1onXx said:
Thanks for all the help! :D  Yeah, I think I'll wait for the 5870 to come out. A little more than two weeks, here we come. Also, when I eventually Xfire these, you think I'd need something like the 850HX as a power source? The question about the fan remains as well.

Good decision about the HD58xx.
About the HSF i would recommend one of these:

- Scythe MUGEN-2,
OR: - XIGMATEK Dark Knight.

I Don't know about the case and if you do need an after market cooler but the 2 listed are very good (based on other "Tom's Hardware" members' personal experiences).

EDIT: A 750W TX is enough for 2 HD4890 CF so for 2 energy efficient, die-shrunk HD5870 it'd be more than enough, and with such a horse-power you should be able to max out Crysis with AAx4 at 1920x1080 (That would be AWESOME! :love:  ).

Hope helped you out some, Good luck :sol:  .

Regards.
September 6, 2009 6:07:00 PM

psycho sykes said:
Good decision about the HD58xx.
About the HSF i would recommend one of these:

Scythe MUGEN-2,
OR: XIGMATEK Dark Knight.

I Don't know about the case and if you do need an after market cooler but the 2 listed are very good (based on other "Tom's Hardware" members' personal experiences).

Hope helped you out some, Good luck :sol:  .

Regards.

Tyvm. :hello: 
September 6, 2009 6:19:58 PM

xXr3d3mpt1onXx said:
Tyvm. :hello: 

What's "Tyvm" ?!.
September 6, 2009 6:46:09 PM

"thank you very much"
September 6, 2009 7:27:21 PM

waynec121 said:
"thank you very much"

Yea, still learning :D  .
Oh by the way TYVM!

Regards.
September 7, 2009 3:08:49 AM

That scythe is not reviewed on frostytech. Scythe is known for quiet fans more than maximum cooling. If you want a quiet scythe maybe a more well known cooler like the mugen 2?

If you look at the base on the kabuto, the heat pipes get the heat from a base that sits on the CPU. The newer coolers all use "core contact" with the pipes directly touching the CPU (like the black knight and core contact freezer).

If you want the quiet and the cooling you could get a CCF or Dark Knight and then get a scythe fan to put on it.
!