Sign in with
Your question

Which Psu? (Need Advice Quick)

Last response: in Components
November 27, 2009 7:02:58 PM

Ok so heres the question im about to finish buying the parts for my new build here are the specs

Intel i7 920 DO ( going to be OC'd to 3.6 ghz)
Asus P6x58D
Intel x25m g2
samsung spin point f3
Antec 1200 case
Ocz platinum ddr3 1600 mhz
Gpu 5870 (crossfireing when I can get 2 and i plan to OC them)

My question is for the psu, which would you guys recomend a corssair hx 850 or hx 1000 I can get them for about the same price right now on sale... soooo my reasons for not imeadately going with the hx1000 is

1. I have heard the 850 has better ripple supression and a more stable rail, will this make a big difference?

2. Will the hx1000 generate alot more heat ( keep in mind it is going in a Antec 1200)?

3. The hx1000 has 2 12v rails... i have heard this can be finicky, will this be any type of nuisance?

4. I have heard the hx 850 is more efficent all around than the 1000, which is kind of why i want to go with it, how much more efficent is it, because I dont want the rents complaing about a huge power spike?

5.My final question is would the hx 850 be able to run this rig with the 5870s OC'd while not pushing within 10% of the power supplies maximum wattage or will i have to go with the hx 1000? I need answers quick due to the quickly selling sale priced hx1000s. Thanx for any help.

Which one would you recomend?

More about : psu advice quick

a c 248 ) Power supply
November 27, 2009 9:13:23 PM

I would not recommend either power supply. Here's why:

It's overkill! Here is a link to a recent technical review which includes power consumption charts:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422...

You'll notice that the total power consumption for the entire system including two 5870's drew a maximum of 561 watts at the wall outlet (mains) during Furmark testing. Furmark is a specially designed stress test which creates a load much greater than any game. There is no game available that could create such a load. During a gaming session the typical system uses about 300 watts. Even with two 5870's in crossfire you wouldn't go over 400 watts. That's for the entire system.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power an overclocked Intel Core i7 system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power an overclocked Intel Core i7 system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5000 series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

Here are the official power requirements for the new ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
November 27, 2009 10:55:02 PM

A Corsair TX750 will run any two single GPU video cards.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2009 11:10:23 PM

^+1 for the 750TX or 750HX if you want modular cables.
m
l
a c 135 ) Power supply
November 27, 2009 11:21:51 PM

For the 1200 case, the Antec 650 provides more than enough juice.....and you can be sure that the 8 pin EPS cable will reach the CPU socket, other brands may require an extension. If you want some cushion, the HX 750 is a great choice but the CP-850 is specifically made for that case, gets extraordinary reviews, is extremely quiet and is huge bargain.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Antec_CP-850

Check out other editor's choice models here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs
m
l
November 28, 2009 2:56:17 AM

Thanx guys I appreciate the advice but as far as efficency goes how good is the cp 850?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2009 2:39:48 PM

The CP 850 is an excellent PSU.

Review here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
Quote:
Performance (40% of the final score) - okay. Let's figure this out here. On second thought, what's to figure out? We have an Antec 850W that performs better than a Signature that appears to cost less than a Signature. We have a unit that was promised to do 80 Plus standard, but ended up doing Bronze. No, the unit didn't quite match the Signature in terms of voltage stability, but it came real close. And to be honest, the differences in voltage readings were so small you could put them down to connector resistance. And since the ripple and noise suppression more than made up for the slightly less stable voltages... 10.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - I'm going to have to spoil a bit of next week's review here, because after all, this unit was designed for certain Antec cases. In installing the unit into my Twelve Hundred review sample, I found that the unit's cable lengths fit with that unit like a hand in a glove. But that's no shock, because the company that designed the case also designed the PSU. What I didn't care for, however, were the redundant hardwired cables. My board takes an EPS12V connector, so I had to go hide the ATX12V cable out of sight. And because I have no video card that needs them, I had to go hide the PCI-E cables, too. That was easier said than done, as you will see next week. But for now, I have to give the CP-850 an 8.

Value (30% of the final score) - this unit is listed for... let's see here... doodly dum da dee... ah, here we go. $117.79 at Provantage. Faint. Wha... what happened? Oh yeah, the price on the CP-850. Just under a hundred twenty for a Signature ripple beater. Faint. 10.

Aesthetics (10% of the final score) - I like matte black, yes I do. And you have to admit, matte black on a unit the size of the CP-850 looks intimidating. This is Andre the Giant's power supply, right here. A point comes off for incomplete sleeving, and a fan bolted to the back rather than inside the case where there does look to be room. 9.

Performance

Functionality

Value

Aesthetics

Total Score

Summary

Antec has made a bold move in releasing their own power supply form factor standard, and it goes without saying that the battle will be an uphill one for them. After all, how many bajillions of ATX cases are out there that can't take a CPX sized unit? I have to be honest though... if I didn't have a Twelve Hundred I'm reviewing for next week, and had just load tested this unit without said case, I'd probably want to go buy one just to have a case to go with it. If the CPX form factor catches on, the CP-850 will be flat out untouchable. It is completely unmatched by any ATX unit on the market I can think of. You'd have to spend twice as much as this thing costs to find the next best thing, performance wise. I'd like to see some better capacitors in there, but you just can't fault the CP-850's performance here.

I don't know how Antec managed something this awesome for such a low price, but they must really want the CPX form factor taking off if this is the performance we're getting.

I'll see you folks next week, when I take on the Twelve Hundred and use it to build a system around the CP-850.

The Good:

* outperformed my SG-850 for ripple suppression
* very quiet, even in the hot box
* exceptionally stable voltage regulation
* did better efficiency than 80 Plus' sample and cleared Bronze
* waaaaaaaaay overbuilt

The Bad:

* proprietary to three Antec cases... all others must be modded (if there's room)

The Mediocre:

* it's huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge and tried to run me over

Jhonny doesn't easily recommend a PSU. And the CP850 got a 9.5/10.

Just a note: The CP 850 uses Antec's proprietary CPX format, so if you MUST have a Antec Twelve Hundred, the P183, or the P193. Any other case will need modding, assuming there's enough space.
m
l
November 29, 2009 4:27:29 PM

Thanks shadow that helps and ya i do have a Antec 1200
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 29, 2009 8:49:28 PM

^Well in that case, good luck! The CP 850 is a great PSU.
m
l
!