centrifugalblunderbuss

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hi all,

I'm planning on getting the ASROCK Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard, and I saw that it has 3 fan controllers onboard. The case I'm going to use is a COOLER MASTER HAF 912, and I'm planning on using 2x 200mm and 2x 120mm fans on the case. In light of this, should I get a 5.25" fan controller to power all of these fans or will I be okay? ALso, I plan on OCing my i5-2500k to around 4.0 Ghz, so I'm just going to use the stock heatsink, unless that's pushing it?

Thanks in advance

Solution
I would just go with the stock fan set-up for now.
I dont think the CM fans you've indicated are going to be bothersome noise wise.
I have a couple of CM cases with stock fans and have added extras from CM as well.
Cooling and noise performance are just fine and i have no urge whatsoever to spend money on a fan contoller.
I just run my fans full tilt right off my psu molex.
You're stock cooler will be just fine at the speed.
However that is an area i always spend on = stock coolers usually end up being louder then i like.
Go for a CM 212+ or EVO = cheap,better temps,and quieter...
I would just go with the stock fan set-up for now.
I dont think the CM fans you've indicated are going to be bothersome noise wise.
I have a couple of CM cases with stock fans and have added extras from CM as well.
Cooling and noise performance are just fine and i have no urge whatsoever to spend money on a fan contoller.
I just run my fans full tilt right off my psu molex.
You're stock cooler will be just fine at the speed.
However that is an area i always spend on = stock coolers usually end up being louder then i like.
Go for a CM 212+ or EVO = cheap,better temps,and quieter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&CompareItemList=574%7C35-103-065%5E35-103-065-TS%2C35-103-099%5E35-103-099-TS

Solution

centrifugalblunderbuss

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Word, thanks for saving me some money lol. I'm planning on doing Crossfire mid next year once I've saved enough $/prices come down on some key components (*cough* SSD *cough*) so I'll prob spring for the 212+ then. Thanks for the advice!