Sign in with
Your question

XP Won't Boot w/Optical Drives Connected

Last response: in Windows XP
February 13, 2012 4:54:40 AM

I have a desktop (Dell Dimension E510) which will not get past the Windows XP splash screen when either or both of the DVD drives are connected (E-IDE). There's one primary IDE controller on the motherboard. The PC is running Windows XP MCE w/SP 3 w/current updates. The E510 is a Pentium D (2.80 GHz) w/1 Gig of RAM (2 sticks), 2 optical drives (1 DVDR and 1 DVD+RW) and two HD's (SATA).

This is a friends pc and they said they found the computer frozen and after rebooting, this is what was going on (not getting past the XP splash screen. It freezes while that blue line is loading at the bottom).

When I got it, I disconnected the DVD drives and it would boot into Windows. However, whenever I reconnect either or both drives, it freezes at the Windows XP splash screen.

I just installed a new power supply today, thinking this was the problem. Obviously, it is not.

I've double-checked all connections to make sure they are secure.

When putting either DVD drive on a different position on the IDE cable, either master or slave, singly or together, in BIOS it will show me the name of the drive(s) that are connected. Changing jumper settings works right too.

It will boot into Safe Mode (but not Safe Mode w/Networking. It will freeze at mup.sys when I try this) when the DVD drives are connnected. When I go into the System properties (of the Control Panel) and look at the Device Manager, it says there are two Primary IDE controllers (channels) and one secondary (there is no secondary). The only reason I can think of why it would state it had a secondary is if it's pointing to the Floppy controller, maybe? The Properties of one of the Primary IDE controllers has a greyed out Device Usage box, but the Device Instance ID is there.
The other Primary IDE controller properties looks normal. I cannot find any other errors in the Device Manager.
I've tried uninstalling the "blank" Primary IDE channel, but it comes back.

At this time, I tried a disc in both drives and it worked normally. This is telling me that it's not the IDE ribbon or the IDE controller.

The last time I booted into Windows (not Safe Mode, but normally) with the DVD drives disconnected, I went into Device Manager and there is no extra Primary IDE channel. It looks normal, no problems in Device Manager with anything.

After rebooting again with DVDs disconnected, I receive the error message that Drives 3 and 4 (the two DVD drives) were missing (which is normal for this situation). I usually receive a couple of beeps to let me know this ...but this time, there was a continuous beeping, like something was stuck and it sounded as if something in there was scraping metal. I couldn't tell if it was the speaker due to the almost continuous beeping or something else. It was pretty loud, but couldn't get my face to the computer to try to find out what it was before it stopped and XP booted up. It's done this a few times now when I've rebooted it, but not every time. Today, it's been running all evening and not a peep, even after rebooting several times while getting all of the updates for Windows. Both hard drives are functioning normally and I don't hear any clicking noises or weird noises coming from them.

I am wondering if this is a hardware problem or a Windows problem, what do you think? It almost sounds like both.

Thanks for the help. I come to this board often and lurk to learn. You guys are a great help to solving problems. :wahoo: 

February 13, 2012 6:24:17 AM

theblondieone said:
I have a desktop (Dell Dimension E510) which will not get past the Windows XP splash screen when either or both of the DVD drives are connected (E-IDE). There's one primary IDE controller on the motherboard. The PC is running Windows XP MCE w/SP 3 w/current updates. The E510 is a Pentium D (2.80 GHz) w/1 Gig of RAM (2 sticks), 2 optical drives (1 DVDR and 1 DVD+RW) and two HD's (SATA).

This is a friends pc and they said they found the computer frozen and after rebooting, this is what was going on (not getting past the XP splash screen. It freezes while that blue line is loading at the bottom).

When I got it, I disconnected the DVD drives and it would boot into Windows. However, whenever I reconnect either or both drives, it freezes at the Windows XP splash screen.

I just installed a new power supply today, thinking this was the problem. Obviously, it is not.

I've double-checked all connections to make sure they are secure.

When putting either DVD drive on a different position on the IDE cable, either master or slave, singly or together, in BIOS it will show me the name of the drive(s) that are connected. Changing jumper settings works right too.

It will boot into Safe Mode (but not Safe Mode w/Networking. It will freeze at mup.sys when I try this) when the DVD drives are connnected. When I go into the System properties (of the Control Panel) and look at the Device Manager, it says there are two Primary IDE controllers (channels) and one secondary (there is no secondary). The only reason I can think of why it would state it had a secondary is if it's pointing to the Floppy controller, maybe? The Properties of one of the Primary IDE controllers has a greyed out Device Usage box, but the Device Instance ID is there.
The other Primary IDE controller properties looks normal. I cannot find any other errors in the Device Manager.
I've tried uninstalling the "blank" Primary IDE channel, but it comes back.

At this time, I tried a disc in both drives and it worked normally. This is telling me that it's not the IDE ribbon or the IDE controller.

The last time I booted into Windows (not Safe Mode, but normally) with the DVD drives disconnected, I went into Device Manager and there is no extra Primary IDE channel. It looks normal, no problems in Device Manager with anything.

After rebooting again with DVDs disconnected, I receive the error message that Drives 3 and 4 (the two DVD drives) were missing (which is normal for this situation). I usually receive a couple of beeps to let me know this ...but this time, there was a continuous beeping, like something was stuck and it sounded as if something in there was scraping metal. I couldn't tell if it was the speaker due to the almost continuous beeping or something else. It was pretty loud, but couldn't get my face to the computer to try to find out what it was before it stopped and XP booted up. It's done this a few times now when I've rebooted it, but not every time. Today, it's been running all evening and not a peep, even after rebooting several times while getting all of the updates for Windows. Both hard drives are functioning normally and I don't hear any clicking noises or weird noises coming from them.

I am wondering if this is a hardware problem or a Windows problem, what do you think? It almost sounds like both.

Thanks for the help. I come to this board often and lurk to learn. You guys are a great help to solving problems. :wahoo: 

http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html
m
l
February 13, 2012 6:35:19 PM

Thank you for that link, I'm researching that information right now.

I did find out what was causing the beeping/scraping noise. After BIOS Posts, the error screen comes up (when optical drives are disconnected) which informs me that those drives are missing. If I move the mouse, the computer beeps until I stop on this screen. There are no PS2 ports on this computer, so the only way you can connect a keyboard and/or mouse, it has to be USB. The scraping noise is coming from the internal speaker which is becoming distorted with the constant beeping.

I'll post again when I have more info. regarding the optical drive problem.
m
l
February 16, 2012 9:16:13 PM

After getting nowhere after trying all of the suggestions from that link, I formatted and reinstalled Windows XP. Optical drives work normally.

Now, after installing Windows updates and SP3, I'm experiencing BSOD's (2 of them after my most recent reboot).

I'll open a new thread on that issue.
Thanks for the help.
m
l
Related resources
!