Hard drive and SSD

samz2010

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I bought a new computer recently, however I had some problems with my components so I took my PC to a technician to get it tested out and I had to replace the motherboard as they were faulty. The technician installed Windows 7 for me and I am not sure if he put it on my HDD or SSD, and what i should do to get the best performance can anyone give me some insight?

thanks, here are my specs;

componentso.jpg

samz2010

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
He ran some diagnostics or something, so how do I go about putting Windows on my SSD, maybe he already did that; how do i check?

bigbang

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
:O
press on start menu and type in disk management, then run "create and format hard disk partitions"
on the next screen look for a square that inside says :
("letter":)
"size" MB NTFS
Healthy (System, blah blah blah blah)
thats where ur windows is. to the left u can see the disc size, the SSD is probably the smaller one.
if its not there u can use norton ghost or drive copying programs to copy it over.
btw i just tested ur cpu and its broken. can i have 50 bucks to fix it?

samz2010

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
i'm in disk management i do not see create and format hard disk partitions =[

i do see my HDD it says capacity 931GB etc, then under there is another harddrive its called "System reserved" with a capacity of 100MB this can't be the ssd can it?

bigbang

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
ok a disk is not the same as a drive
below the list, the left bar shows ur discs, look for something that says the stuff i wrote above, on the right hand side within the blue/green boxes. the disk to the left of the box that has the "system" label is the disk that ur windows is installed at.

bigbang

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
good lord, im not that hard to understand am i? i just said look for the bit that says system...
ur ssd is currently unallocated, not being used at all

bigbang

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
right click on the bit that says unallocated and format, NTFS. u need norton ghost if u want to copy ur windows drive over.no guarantees though, nothing worked for me so i reinstalled.