Budget Gaming PC OCed (Maybe)

atsao1

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month

BUDGET RANGE: $400-$600 (Cheaper the better, obv)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, surfing net, happy stuff

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Compaq W17q (1440x900) monitor, Speakers, Sennheiser PC130 headset, DVD R/RW, Maxtor 360 GB Sata hard drive*, Antec Earthwatts 500D PSU*, Case*

(* These are not required, but I can/will change them if needed/better parts avail)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.newegg.com, www.tigerdirect.com, www.frys.com, Frys Retail Stores

PARTS PREFERENCES:

CPU/Graphics: I prefer AMD and Radeons mostly because of pricing. I am open to Intel and Nvidia though.
Mobo: Gigabyte is my preferred vendor. I have used Asus before and would again.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe. This would highly depend on the general consensus of the board. I have never OCed before, so I won't be pushing my parts to the max if I do.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 on 17" WS

As I stated earlier, I have never OCed before, but I've been told by a couple friends that it's insanely easy and I should go ahead and try it. If it's pretty easy (install aftermarket heatsink, use BIOS to tweak CPU slightly, etc), then I'll go ahead and try it. I won't be doing something like getting a $70 CPU to perform like a $200 one unless it's disgustingly easy.

The PC will mostly be used for gaming. To give you an idea of the performance I'm looking for, it'd be to run CoD4:MW at 30 FPS on High. This isn't to say that's what I want; rather, if I can get better performance on High for a bit more, or a rig that does meh on High but 60+ on Medium, I will. Right now, I get 60 FPS on super low settings (everything off; details low).

So far, the parts I've been looking at are as follows:

CPU: Phenom II X3 710

Phenom II X2 550 BE

Currently running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ on an AM2 socket. I chose these two because it looks like the X3 710 is pretty good for the money, and the X2 550 BE is excellent for OC. I haven't followed Intel for a long time, so I'm not entirely sure on their most cost-efficient processor.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX

That's the only mobo I've liked so far in my budget range.

Graphics: XFX Radeon 4850 512 mb

I'm open to other video card vendors and suggestions. I've been ATI most of my life, and I'm currently running an ATI x1600.

RAM: 4-6 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz. I don't have a preference for vendors, and I'll probably go with whichever is the best deal (Frys Retail Store had Corsair 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz for $80 after $20 rebate).

Case: Currently using a CoolerMaster Elite 340 ATX. It works pretty well, but I'm open to getting a new case if it'd be better for OC.

Hard drive: Don't remember the model, but it's a Maxtor 300/360/320/smth GB Sata. I might replace it since I'd probably try running dual OS (Windows 7 + Ubuntu), and I've always preferred having a new boot HD for a new rig.

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500w

Not the exact model (I have EA-500D), but roughly the same. If I need a bigger PSU, I'll get one.

Thanks.

atsao1

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Ah, yes. I have one 120 Antec Blue LED fan in the front and a Silenx 120 Fan in the back, which I might be replacing with another 120 Antec, since it takes about 10 seconds for the Silenx to start.

I also have an Antec Cyclone fancard below my video card.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
If you're trying to get a long life out of this system, I'd say go for the 720 x3. It does perform better, OCs well, and the extra core will allow it to perform better once games start using more than 2 cores.

That Gigabyte board is a good one.

4850 is a great card for that monitor. You'll be running on high for a while. But if you can spare another $11, this comes with a game and will last longer. Well worth the cost for extra life.

If you need a new HDD, this is a great price for a high performance drive. $50 500gb spinpoint F3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

For gaming, you won't need more than 4 gigs of ram. To get better OC on the CPU, get the lowest CAS and tightest timings you can. Its more important that speed. As long as youre at 1333, there won't be any performance difference. Lower voltage will also mean lower temps. Shoot for CAS 7 under 1.7v. 1.5 would be even better.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220333

The EA500 will serve you well. You've got a great build.

If you shop at zipzoomfly.com, you can get the 720 for $110 when you buy another item that qualifies for the combo discount. There's a keyboard or speakers that are $20 or less with rebates that make them free. If you don't mind the rebates, its a good way to save $10.

atsao1

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Thanks for the feedback, skora, but I do have a question about this:

What's important about CAS and tight timing, and how can I tell it's a good value? Is it easy to explain, or should I google it?

Nevermind. I wiki'd it.

atsao1

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009

Er, I think you missed the link with this one.