Multiple Drive Problems [UPDATE]

graffspree

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I'm running a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 (ver 1.0). I installed a new HD as a second drive. Now when I try to boot I get "BOOT DISK ERROR". When I go into CMOS it sees only one of my two optical drives on IDE Channel 4 MASTER (about every other start up it show neither). It never shows the slave drive.

Also.....the lights for my optical drives are on, so I know they are getting power. However, when I try to open the drawers they won't open. The open fine with a paper clip.

I installed a 2nd HD drive, booted up and got to the windows login screen. When I tried to log in it dimmed once and turned off. Nothing would restart it. I assumed bad PSU so went and got a replacement. After it was installed (used old cables, just plugged into new powerbox). I realized I had knocked the little connectors from the front panel off. I decided to go ahead and test with new PSU. It fired up but then there was that kinda burning smell (no smoke). I pulled the plug immediately. Put in old PSU, and it fires up to BIOS fine.

I'm running a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 (ver 1.0). Now when I try to boot I get "BOOT DISK ERROR". I have unpluged the new HD, but still get the error (setup is the same as when it worked fine).

When I go into CMOS it sees only one of my two optical drives on IDE Channel 4 MASTER (about every other start up it show neither). It never shows the slave drive. I don't think it sees my SATA drives either.

Also.....the lights for my optical drives are on, so I know they are getting power. However, when I try to open the drawers they won't open. The open fine with a paper clip.

Primary drive with OS is plugged into SATA0.

I know my BIOS settings are probably off, but I am pretty clueless on those settings. Here is what I have in Advanced Settings:

HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY nothing set, only option is Bootable Add-In Cards
First Boot Device [Hard Disk] no detail
Second Boot Device [Hard Disk] no detail
Third Boot Device [Hard Disk] no detail
Password Check [set up]
HDD SMART Capability [Disabled]
Limit CPUID to 3 [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Priority [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Enabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) [Enabled]
Virtualization Technology [Enabled]
Init Display First [PCI]

Integrated Peripherals Settings:

SATA AHCI Mode [Disabled]
SATA Port 0-1 Native Mode [Diabled]
USB Controller [Enabled]
USB 2.0 Controller [Enabled]
USB Keyboard Support [Disabled]
USB Mouse Support [Disabled]
Legacy USB Storage Detect [Enabled]
Azilia Codec [Enabled]
SMART LAN [Press Enter]
Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]
Onboard SATA/IDE Device [Enabled]
Onboard SATA/IDE Device Ctrl Mode [IDE]
Onboard Serial Port 1 [3F8/IRQ4]
Onboard Parallel Port [378/IRQ7]
Parallel Port Mode [SPP]

These are the fail-Safe Settings. I got the same problems after reset.

I would try to install Windows on the new HD, but I can't because of the CD/DVD ROM issue.

UPDATE:

I found an old CD-ROM drive. I can now get the windows disk to start up. I've tried to run repair on the old HD and Install on the new. Both times I get "no drive found". Am I looking at a bad MB?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For future reference in case your machine refuses to start up, try this simple trick. Unplug the machine from the wall and let it sit idle for about 5 minutes. Then plug it back in and try the front panel button to start.

I am going to assume that both of your hard drives are SATA units and both of your optical drives also are SATA. I suggest you should connect them to the mobo ports this way: your original HDD that you boot from (contains the OS) on SATA_0, the new HDD on SATA_1, the optical drives on SATA_2 and SATA_3. Check that the data cables are securely plugged in on each end, and that all four devices have securely-connected power cables.

Before you can assign Boot Device Priority, the devices must be Enabled and functioning so the BIOS can see them. I can't get the Gigabyte system to download your manual for me, so I'm going to make some guesses here based on what you've shown. In Integrated Peripherals check the settings for all of those four SATA ports. They MUST be Enabled. The simplest option for these usually is called something like IDE or PATA Emulation - it has the BIOS pretend that the SATA devices are older PATA devices that all Windows knows how to use. (I suspect you have that set for some ports, at least, because you are getting indications of some device on "Channel 4 Master". When PATA emulation is used, the BIOS uses terms like "Channel" and "Master".) If you are using the PATA Emulation option, do NOT use AHCI or RAID or native SATA options.

Now, if all 4 devices are Enabled, if you go to the Boot Priority section you should be able to choose any of them for any position in the sequence. My suggestion is that you set the first device to be one of your optical drives, in case you want to boot from that source some time. Then set the second device as your older hard drive that has your OS already on it. Set any later devices options as None, since you have no other boot devices. This way your machine will try to boot from one optical drive and will do so if it has a bootable disk in it. But if it does not, the machine will simply continue on to try booting from the older hard drive, and usually that will succeed.

Assuming this works as planned and you can boot from your older drive, you should be able to see that drive in My Computer as C:, and both optical drives, too. It is quite possible that you will NOT see your new hard drive there, though, unless you have managed to prepare it for Windows' use. That involves Partitioning and Formatting. If you need help with that, let us know and we can guide you.

In the meantime, post back here how you progress with these hints on BIOS settings.