P7P55D PRO slow POST

jblang

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I've got a P7P55D PRO with a Core i5-750 and a Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 4GB Kit (2x2GB). This memory isn't specifically on the QVL.

My POST seems to take abnormally long (about 15 seconds) before any video is even displayed. During this time the diagnostic LEDs by various components light up and the memory diagnostic seems to take the longest (around 7 sec).

Everything seems to work fine, but 15 seconds seems excessive. Has anyone else experienced this? I am curious how long POST takes (from the time you hit the power button to the time the video displays) for other P7P55D PRO users?

I've also noticed a high pitched whine during the POST, which thankfully I've never heard during normal operation of the PC... I know this has been reported by other users while using windows, etc.

Blup

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I'm experiencing the same problem.

P7P55D, first Geil RAM, now some fancy Patriot with huge heatsinks on it. Post takes forever ... and I don't know what to do.

TheMediaGuy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Yes, I get the same thing.
After pressing the power button, it's exactly 15 seconds before video turns the monitor on and I see the post screen. P7P55D Pro with Core i5-750 and 8GB of Mushkin RAM.
After that LOOONG wait, it works excellent.
I talked to ASUS tech support, and he had no suggestions except to enable quick boot in BIOS - but it is already enabled. Apparently he didn't know the problem existed.

EDIT: Updated BIOS from 1207 to 1307 and no change.

tomaskir

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Sorry to bring an old threat to life, but i get the EXACTLY same thing with p7p55d pro and 4 Corsair 2gb 1600MHz modules with bios 1408.

Were you guys able to resolve this?

TheMediaGuy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Not yet. I've not been able to fix this.
I built the computer for a customer and told them to be patient. No idea what causes it. I'd sure like to call them & say I have a fix!

If anyone knows... please post! (I'm subscribed to this thread)

tomaskir

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Is there any way we can notify Asus of this. Seems to me like its a bios memory compatibility issue or something, in which case the only fix would be for asus to update the bios to fix this.

That's pretty wierd. I have the same mobo, don't have that issue at all. Once or twice while OCing it didn't show POST and then the first thing on my monitor was windows loading screen, but time wise it didn't take any longer than normal. I'd say it's maybe 15seconds to get to the windows loading screen for me. Using Patriot Viper II Sector 5 4gb RAM and an i5 750. First time boot and OCed it's always been about the same.

I can maybe help about that whine/squeal from the board. I found out changing the C States from AUTO to C3 fixes it... which means it's the C6 state that causes it. This is an idle state... so, it's curious to hear that at start up.

You guys might want to take this issue over to Asus forums.

tomaskir

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
I will add a bit more detailed description of the issue, just reposting from another board i posted it at:

"The MB runs nice and cozy except that it takes about 15 seconds after i press the power button to actually get to post.

Example: I press the power button. PC turns on, all fans are on max. After about 15 sec, the speaker beeps, the screen turns on and the post goes as normal, taking about 5 sec and then the windows starts loading.

In the 15 seconds, i can hear a soft higher pitched humm, and no the MB memory led is constantly on. This is with the newest bios. I think the MemOK feature on the MB is actually running every time it boots, but is there any way to confirm this? There are no bios settings for it.

I tried pulling my sound and tv cards out, no change. I tried leaving only 2gig of mem in, no change.

Express Gate is disable and quickboot is enabled, but those only apply to post anyway, the issue is concerning the time the MB takes to get to post."

Not in my experience... some have but both the MSI P55GD65 and now the ASUS P7P55D PRO have never once beeped in my PC.
EDIT: Actually, I guess it's probably because there's no small speaker to hooked up and no mobo speaker either

Anyway I checked out the manual online and it says for "1 short beep" - "VGA Detected, Quck Boot set to Disabled, No keyboard detected"

tomaskir

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
I have built about 60 pc's in last few years and every single one beeped once on boot. If it doesnt, check that you have the speaker connected, because as you mentioned, you dont.

And again, quickboot has nothing to do with the issue, as quick boot affect stuff like memory chect IN POST, more specifily to skip memory counting and some more stuff.

All of these problem are happening before post.

TheMediaGuy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I've created a post in the ASUS forums:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100601111621609&SLanguage=en-us&board_id=1&model=P7P55D%20PRO

We'll see if anything happens. Unfortunately, the forums may be almost useless when it comes to alerting ASUS of a problem... Here's the warning I get when posting a message:

NOTE:

As this is an open user to user based discussion forum, there is no ASUS engineers online to provide direct support via this forum. If you are looking for direct support from ASUS, please kindly fill a quick technical support form from the link below, and the professionals from our Technical Support Team will answer your query shortly via email:
http://support.ASUS.com/techserv/techserv.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Lisky

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Same problem here too, (only with P7P55D-E PRO) and i contacted ASUS supprot directly. They replied and asked what RAM i am using and is it in supported RAM list. When i said that it is NOT in the list (Kingston HyperX
2x2GB, DDR3 1333MHz, CL9 KHX1333C9D3K2/4G )
they said that i may have to set the set the RAM voltage and latency settings manually, ....please contact the manufacturer or reseller to find out the settings.
I replied that i just tried the MemOK! button and the boot screen said: MemOK! System is read to boot (or something like that) ... and asked "does this mean the memory is OK?"
They didnt reply anymore!

This made me feel that they dont KNOW what the problem is and they were jsut guessing its the memory. :sarcastic:

I think the problem is the POST leds. Even though you disable them in BIOS, the process still goes through, but the leds just dont blink. You know what i mean.
We should find a way to disable the hardward detection/testing what ever the motherboard does BEFORE it posts.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
My M/B Asus P7P55D also takes 15 seconds and a beep before it shows the post screen. I think this is normal.

I have a PC case with the side cover perforated so I can see inside the PC . There are LEDs on the M/B. The LEDs shine in this sequence: CPU(1 second), RAM(1 second), CPU (1 second), RAM(10 seconds), VGA(2 seconds). Then I hear a beep and BIOS POST screen appears.

So I assume M/B is doing its job in 15 seconds time span, checking the integrity of components and compatibility of RAM modules. One may get rid of at least the 10-second portion of this time span by manually entering all RAM parameters in BIOS, though I am not sure and I have not tested this myself.

Saerain

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
If it is normal, then I don't know what Asus is thinking. I haven't had a boot time like this since the early 1990s. Just before moving to this board, my boot time was four seconds, or seven seconds if counting Windows 7's loading screen. Now it's 20-30 seconds.

Besides, it seems to me that nothing is happening during this delay, as when the monitor finally does switch on, POST is just beginning.

It also doesn't appear to matter whether I have all four sticks of 2GB RAM slotted or one, nor whether I manually configure the RAM or not: same delay.

It's exactly what this person experienced with an Asus Gene III: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-608yd2KU0I

I doubt this is intended by design. Has anyone tried to RMA? I'm sending mine out in the morning (due to many more issues than just this). I'll be sure to declare success or lack thereof.

TheMediaGuy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Well, my issue still hasn't been resolved.
All I can say is ASUS has crossed the line by not fixing this problem over half a year later... Plus other boards are doing it too!
I used to buy only ABIT or ASUS, now Abit is no more and ASUS SUCKS.
I will be buying other motherboards for the first time in my life. If will be a long time before I buy or recommend an ASUS MB to my customers.

ofaskian

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hello People i want to ask if the problem has been fixed i have this mobo 1 year and have the same problem as you have 15 sec boot delay and its driving me nuts :(((

Latest Bios On.

Using Mobo
P7p55d-e pro
i5-750
MSI GTX 465
Geil 8GB 4*2 GB etc...

Best Regards

Ody

Savvy

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I have just submitted a request with ASUS tech support to look into this in detail.. I had been chasing this for over a month with them.. Just received a form to fill in the details of my MB and PC specs, so hopefully they will escalate it to higher tech support.

If i hear anything i will inform ya all.. Hopefully soon..

I think the problem is that it goes through checking cpu, gpu, and ram every time at startup. I find especially now that I have 8gb (4x2gb) it takes longer than it used to with just 4 gigs. I wish there was an option to skip "memok" and all those other things, it's not like I'm changing my hardware every day.

LaCooper

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
i had this mobo for about a year and it would take about 15sec like mentioned about. i noticed that it was reserving half of my ram.. after extensive troubleshooting i was able to determine i had a bad stick of ram, so naturally i went out and got some new ram.
once i installed the new ram it continued to take about 15sec. to boot.. however after a few weeks of that, it started getting stuck at the ram occasionally. using memtest countless times i have determined that my ram is all perfectly fine, and that my mobo was still reserving half of my ram for 'hardware'. i have done all known fixes for the reserved ram issues with no results. and after giving up on that and just accepting that my ram wasnt gonna get fixed at this point. my computer then started to get stuck at the ram every boot. now my mobo ram led lights up and stays lit... after looking through many fixes, i have still been left stuck with a brick for a computer.
im pretty sure it's the mobo and not the ram, however doing all the usual tests ( switching ram slots/sticks, one stick at a time / removing all other hardware, removing ram itself, etc ) has shown me that the mobo detects the ram is in place as it beeps pretty furiously when the ram is vacant. and that none of my other hardware is causing it. :heink:

Rainey

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

My MB has done this a few time where it gets in this mode and wont boot gets stuck at the mem test at post. I found after a number of reboots i could get it to boot up. Or if i used the memok button that some times fixed it.

My guess is that the power supply and the motherboard get into a race condition and the boot gets stuck because of bad voltage levels. It is protecting your hardware. Try a different Power supply if you have one.