Will HP Proliant 4GB DDR3 ECC Memory work in another ECC suported MOBO

sasquatch101

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I'm looking at an ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer MOBO and want to use a stockpile of HP Proliant Server 4GB ECC DDR3 memory modules to populate all available 6 slots (24GB). The board supports ECC memory, but I was told that the memory is very specific to the HP servers and most likely would not work in any other computer. Of course, another person of questionable authority, stated otherwise. Before I invest in this MOBO, I wanted to get some degree of confidence from those in this forum what actually is the FACT. Will it or Will it not?

Thank you for the help.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
It should work fine. The memory is just stamped with HP's part sticker rather than the normal manuf. sticker, it is made to the same specifications as other memory. I don't even buy the HP memory most of the time, its cheaper to track down what type it is and just buy that memory type from someone else.

sasquatch101

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Ok. Hoping it will. I know some of the memory is very specific to the server it is running on and wasn't sure if it would operate outside of a proliant. thank you for the feedback. :ange: