HELP! Laptop doesn't see HDDs after BSOD

Hi, guys.

I have a Dell Vostro V13 with Kingston SSD (V 100 G2 64 Gb). Today at work I was doing some programming when my laptop froze and I got a BSOD. After that my attempts to start it result in the following error:

For Realtek RTL8110S/8169S Gigabit Ethernet Controller v1.01 (030820)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.

I have messed around with BIOS configs, took the laptop apart, did a shaman dance in front of it :bounce:, but nothing helped. I have managed to figure out the following:

1) The error is doe to the laptop trying to connect to network, since all other boot options (HDD, USB, CD) are not working (it is when nothing is connected).

2) I swapped HDDs and none of them worked in the laptop, but all worked on the other PC, so it is the error with the laptop.

3) I have never dropped it or anything, so I am pretty sure it is a software error.

4) When I try to reinstall Windows 7, it sees no drives and suggests to install HDD drivers. I don't know what driver that should be. I tried AHCI driver from Dell's page, but Windows 7 ignores it. Most likely this is the solution. But I need you advice regarding the drivers and how to install them.

I have also tried flashing BIOS with newer version (A5 instead of A2), by starting a special .exe file from under DOS or RIP Linux booted from flash drive, but have failed, since I have absolutely no clue about either of them and they were not as intuitive as I expected.

I have to work on Monday again, therefore really hope you could help me out with my laptop. Sending it to Dell's support is not really an option, since I bought it the other country.
1 answer Last reply
More about help laptop doesn hdds bsod
  1. did you try to reset the bios to default settings? You could try removing the ethernet controller and see if it will boot up.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Blue Screen Storage