Sign in with
Your question

Help! my computers motherboard is confused!

Last response: in Motherboards
February 24, 2010 11:07:26 PM

Hello,
my motherboard is detecting my primary master, hard drive as IDE (it is SATA)and my 3rd master, CDROM as ATAPI (it is IDE), how can I get the motherboard to correctly identify my hardware connections? ( it will not boot or enter bios settings)
a c 78 V Motherboard
February 24, 2010 11:43:19 PM

What is your motherboard make and model?
m
l
February 25, 2010 12:02:03 AM

treefrog07 said:
What is your motherboard make and model?

ECS 945G-NM uATX
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 2:04:30 AM

I just PMed you. It'll take me a little time to track down your motherboard manual. I'm hoping we can get you to reset the BIOS, using a feature called CLR_CMOS (or clear CMOS), so we can reset your BIOS settings - allowing you to POST, and hopefully, boot into windows.
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 2:29:20 AM

Your motherboard was made by ECS Elitegroup. I'm looking for a clear picture of it - this looks like the only one on the web!

On the lower right-hand side there is a chip to the right of the lower black-colored heatsink. That chip is the BIOS. Somewhere nearby is a a set of three pins, with two covered by a jumper and the third exposed. If we are lucky those pins (and jumper) will have some white-lettered print on the board that says CLR_CMOS.

See if you can find the 3 pins with the jumper and reply.
m
l
April 6, 2010 6:00:09 PM

treefrog07 said:
Your motherboard was made by ECS Elitegroup. I'm looking for a clear picture of it - this looks like the only one on the web!

On the lower right-hand side there is a chip to the right of the lower black-colored heatsink. That chip is the BIOS. Somewhere nearby is a a set of three pins, with two covered by a jumper and the third exposed. If we are lucky those pins (and jumper) will have some white-lettered print on the board that says CLR_CMOS.

See if you can find the 3 pins with the jumper and reply.

ok first i apologize for taking so long to get back here and i thank you for your help, yes i have located the pins with the jumper
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
April 6, 2010 6:36:36 PM

You're welcome. Life happens.

First disconnect the power cord from the PSU, then move the jumper from its default setting (covering pins 1 and 2) to cover pins 2 and 3. Wait about a minute, then replace the jumper to its default setting over pins 1 and 2. This procedure should re-set the BIOS to its default settings.

Re-connect the power cord. Power-on the computer and enter the BIOS (usually by presssing the DELETE key), and verify that it sees you hardware. I did not see a BIOS settings manual, so move through the various tabs to find the drives, the boot order, etc. Some settings are easy to figure, some are cryptic; if you aren't sure, come back here or google for clarification.

Your board specifications are here. And there are pics of the various hardware here.

m
l
April 9, 2010 9:17:36 PM

treefrog07 said:
You're welcome. Life happens.

First disconnect the power cord from the PSU, then move the jumper from its default setting (covering pins 1 and 2) to cover pins 2 and 3. Wait about a minute, then replace the jumper to its default setting over pins 1 and 2. This procedure should re-set the BIOS to its default settings.

Re-connect the power cord. Power-on the computer and enter the BIOS (usually by presssing the DELETE key), and verify that it sees you hardware. I did not see a BIOS settings manual, so move through the various tabs to find the drives, the boot order, etc. Some settings are easy to figure, some are cryptic; if you aren't sure, come back here or google for clarification.

Your board specifications are here. And there are pics of the various hardware here.

ok did what you said here but, switched them back and still no change, just freezes at "Gateway" screen.

GATEWAY

INTEL BOOT options F10
BIOS settings F2
it will not go past that screen and pressing either option does nothing, restarting w/ ctrl+alt+del then pressing f2 brought up a new screen, "boot agent"
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
April 10, 2010 1:16:00 AM

From your first post: "....primary master, hard drive as IDE (it is SATA)and my 3rd master, CDROM as ATAPI (it is IDE)......"
Those settings may be OK, many BIOSes have settings that allow the computer to enable SATA as IDE and CDROM as ATAPI. Even today's BIOSes have those settings as options for those using legacy hardware.

I'll assume that "boot agent" didn't let you enter the BIOS either. Try the CLR_CMOS again, but this time remove the motherboard battery after you disconnect the power cord - then press the power button two or three times. Now CLR_CMOS by moving the jumper to pin 2 and 3, and leave it that way for an hour or so. Then move the jumper to pins 1 and 2, insert the battery, connect the power cord and power-on.

If this doesn't work, your BIOS may be corrupted, or there may be another problem. Based on the chipset, I'm estimating that your system is about four years old. It's possible that your power supply (PSU) has degraded or partially failed and that condition freezes your system during POST - that is also about the least expensive component to replace. The next step may be to test the PSU's output, which could involve getting a PSU tester, or taking it to a computer shop.
Have you noticed any odors, especially near the PSU?

Do you hear "beeps" when your power-on the system? Systems with speakers usually "beep" to indicate the POST progress.

m
l
April 11, 2010 12:20:43 AM

no beeps, it may be shop time :( 
m
l
April 11, 2010 12:36:18 AM

If I may dip in for a minute treefrog, I had the same issue with no post stuck on the splash screen. It was a bad hard drive try unplugging the drives to try to get to the bios. And wow TREEFROG you are way better then I at answering questions, I just point and run. Much props!!!
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
April 11, 2010 1:02:22 AM

THEWIR3 said:
If I may dip in for a minute treefrog, I had the same issue with no post stuck on the splash screen. It was a bad hard drive try unplugging the drives to try to get to the bios. And wow TREEFROG you are way better then I at answering questions, I just point and run. Much props!!!

I don't mind :) . Thanks, I try to be clear. And, I figure we are all trying to help each other have a better computing experience.
m
l
!