Power supply replacement

mbradley

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Has anyone tried using a standard ATX sized supply in an HP a1747c case? I am looking to add an ULTRA LSP550 to replace a failing stock power supply and am not sure If I would have to modify the case?

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.

mbradley

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009

Thanks for your response, I am hoping the install is fairly straight forward as the case dimensions and mounting holes are definitely not quite standard ATX.

mbradley

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Forget the Ultra, they are junk.

Great deal right now. 82% eff, modular, 135mm fan, quiet, 3yr warranty, dual 25a rails.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

Thank you for the advice, I have little doubt that the supplies you guys suggested are all better than the Ultra, I had already ordered before each of you had responded, at least the Ultra has a Lifetime replacement warranty if I register it. I am kind of stoked though because the stock supply was only 300 watts and now I can add a really decent graphics card, the PCIe slot is a 1x16, not the newer 2, see any real limitations there?

Michael

mbradley

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009

All of the answers were helpful, but knowing that a standard ATX supply would fit in this HP case helped the most. If I were building a PC I would definitely look at the makes that you guys suggested. I would also be looking at a different build altogether.