Sign in with
Your question

Trying to find good 1066 DDR3 for i7

Last response: in Memory
February 25, 2010 2:12:15 AM

I will build an i7 system on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 socket 1366 board in a few weeks. It has been impossible to see a few comparable kits of the slower (but approved) 1066 DDR RAM. I plan on 6GB to start and see how that works with Photoshop and Lightroom. I'd rather seek out the conservative timings and have less hassle. I probably won't overclock the system, either. Forum member bilbat and others suggest that the 1066 timings are the only truly approved RAM configuration.

ECC or no ECC?

But that aside, who sells a 6GB kit of low-latency memory? Searches turn up a very small sample. Corsair users report problems with that board and their units.

Any thoughts appreciated.

jonathan7007

More about : find good 1066 ddr3

March 7, 2010 9:49:56 AM

jonathan7007 said:
I will build an i7 system on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 socket 1366 board in a few weeks. It has been impossible to see a few comparable kits of the slower (but approved) 1066 DDR RAM. I plan on 6GB to start and see how that works with Photoshop and Lightroom. I'd rather seek out the conservative timings and have less hassle. I probably won't overclock the system, either. Forum member bilbat and others suggest that the 1066 timings are the only truly approved RAM configuration.

ECC or no ECC?

But that aside, who sells a 6GB kit of low-latency memory? Searches turn up a very small sample. Corsair users report problems with that board and their units.

Any thoughts appreciated.

jonathan7007

Ram will only stay in the same ratio as your CPU is. so you can buy any ram...as long as it is 1.65v MAX

1333mhz Ram is more common than 1066.

ECC Does not work on I7 Tho.

Take a look at the memory support list.

The best normal timings for DDR3 is 7-7-7-21

m
l
March 14, 2010 11:43:34 PM

I went with 6Gig from Crucial at 1066 as I have ordered a lot of memory from them before and they offer very reasonable shipping to Hawaii. Thanks for the info. I did find out about the Non-ECC requirement. I have finished putting the machine together, got the OS loaded with minor mishap (power went off in the middle of the install) and now am updating Kaspersky: long wait... but I am thrilled to be getting this new machine launched.

jonathan7007
m
l
!