Sign in with
Your question

Reformatted xp home and recovery disks do not work HP pavilion w/ sp2 oem

Last response: in Windows XP
February 13, 2012 3:56:29 PM

Hello,
I had to do a destructive restore on my HP xp home oem machine and it will not reinstall from recovery disks I made when I purchased it. I have tried everything I can find to do on the web. I made the floppy disks from the online download but they dont work either. My bios does not allow accsess to MB , the HD shows but is greyed-out. I borrowed a friends oem disks for her xp home but I get an error!! PC system not supported...help
February 14, 2012 2:15:19 PM

nfitz said:
Hello,
I had to do a destructive restore on my HP xp home oem machine and it will not reinstall from recovery disks I made when I purchased it. I have tried everything I can find to do on the web. I made the floppy disks from the online download but they dont work either. My bios does not allow accsess to MB , the HD shows but is greyed-out. I borrowed a friends oem disks for her xp home but I get an error!! PC system not supported...help

Have another PC to hange the drive as slave to investigate its file system etc?
Tried downloading & booting from a rescue CD ?
m
l
February 14, 2012 3:01:24 PM

Worst case, HP will sell you boot media for a minimal price.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 25, 2012 4:17:25 PM

Will the disk from HP work if I have a bad sector in the HD ? I am certain if I could get to where I can chkdsk I could repair this. I am waiting for the disk to arrive in mail now.
m
l
February 27, 2012 10:38:41 AM

Drives can compensate for so many bad sectors. It will move the data to a spare sector if it can and mark that sector bad so it doesn't get used again. If the drive is out of spare sectors, you start to get data loss.
m
l
!