Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ATI vs NVIDIA Qaulity vs Speed question and observation

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 25, 2009 1:32:02 AM

first a little history from my experience.

Hello i am wondering what would the best graphical quality card be. my fiance has a 2650 HD AGP and i have atm a 9800GTX. and i noticed her card had much purer graphics then my 9800GTX

i found this very odd for 2 reasons. number one my card was alot more expinsive and faster. number 2 she has a basic monitor flat screen but vga. and i have a nice wide screen HDMI input monitor.

any ideas on why this is? settings where max for both of us.

also was wondering is ATI radeon known for better quality graphics over Nvidia?

because if there is a huge difference like this in graphics in future cards then heck id have to say quality first then speed.

the video game we where palying the only one we both play was city of heroes. coh
September 25, 2009 1:38:18 AM

"and i noticed her card had much purer graphics then my 9800GTX "

err.... what?

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2009 1:39:35 AM

WINTERLORD said:

Hello i am wondering what would the best graphical quality card be. my fiance has a 2650 HD AGP and i have atm a 9800GTX. and i noticed her card had much purer graphics then my 9800GTX..

..any ideas on why this is? settings where max for both of us.

Probably the default settings, you need to tweak the monitor and card to get the most out of it, most people seem to prefer the ATi preset, but when calibrated of those two card, the GF9800 would have the better technical specs, you just need to make the most of them an disable any optimizations.

Quote:
also was wondering is ATI radeon known for better quality graphics over Nvidia?

Prior to the GF8800 series yes, after that they were almost even, with ATi having better AA quality options and nV have better AF quality options.

Now the HD5xxx series has improved the ATi AF beyond nV's options, and further advanced the ATi AA advantage for Image Quality (IQ).

However in your case if you setup the GF9800 properly you should have a superior visual experience on the GF9800 over the HD2650 especially since the HD2650 doesn't really have the ability to use much of the AA options available.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2009 2:01:42 AM

I think the poster is probably talking about something as simple as options like contrast or digital vibrance, and pretty much not a lot to do with the graphics card.
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2009 2:09:07 AM

Well as Digital Vibrance is an nV only thing, I doubt that's what he's talking about, since he's saying his looks worse, and most DV users rave about it, unless they know better and don't like it in the way they don't like ViViD on a Sony.

Like I said, calibrate it, then check the differences again, as I said, technically the GF9 should be better, but because of the default settings, is not appearing as such.
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2009 2:13:12 AM

Hmm. I'm pretty sure you can change the 'vibrance' in CCC as well, at least in avivo?
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2009 2:14:41 AM

Also...

It's possible that the OP is using his screen at the non-default resolution. You'd be amazed at how many people do that btw.
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2009 2:19:46 AM

Yeah interpolation could be the cause, if the image is blurry, but we need more info really.

DV is different from the AVIVO colour Vibrance feature, which is for video payback, not general LCD monitor compensation like DV.
September 26, 2009 12:12:12 AM

actualy im not sure what it has to do with. but i doubt the monitor plays any7 role. my moniter is only 1year old her monitoer is like the original flat screen and is 6years old or more. very basic low resolution.

im thinken the card just has alswome quality. like the one guy said maybe it's some sort of presets.

Quote:
Probably the default settings, you need to tweak the monitor and card to get the most out of it, most people seem to prefer the ATi preset, but when calibrated of those two card, the GF9800 would have the better technical specs, you just need to make the most of them an disable any optimizations.

i am wondering where would i start on the presets for this? nvidia control panel? cuase my card is nvidia 9800gtx. and i would definatly try and check this out iv seen presets in nvidia panel iv changed them slightly before but not alot of tinkering cause i did'nt figure they would do much.

also the reason i am wondering about this is because i got a new game i like playing and will play alot champions online-- and am thinking about saving up for a new graphics card cause i get slow speeds on it even with a core i7 920@3.7ghz

and i have always used nvidia but ati looks very tempting after seeing how pure 9better shaders or somethin) and they way it makes graphics look as opposed to nvidia. however looking at the charts it seems wsith AA maxed and AF maxed nvidia usaly fairs better.

so sinc ei have time before i upgrade lol i am tryin to figure out what i should be looking for/at and wondering if ATI just has better quality of graphic looks to them.

but back to what the Greatgrap said maybe i need to tune somthing somewhere. on my 9800gtx to see

as for the resolution mine is set at max 1680-1250 and hers is 1200-800 and my contrast is way way higher with quick select setting son the monitor. i use high contrast for gaming wich lights the room at night more then most of lights in the house 3000:1
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 1:28:41 AM

WINTERLORD said:
actualy im not sure what it has to do with. but i doubt the monitor plays any7 role. my moniter is only 1year old her monitoer is like the original flat screen and is 6years old or more. very basic low resolution.

I didn't mean the quality of the monitor, I meant tweaking the settings, like the default factory setting on most monitors, even $1,000+ pro monitors have sucky factory default settings, just read a few reviews and you'll find it's quite common tha the default settings are washed out, or too dark, bright, over-contrasted, etc. That's why pros always calibrate monitors because they need to be setup for best use. You can get online monitor tweaking templates to help you, just google monitor calibration tools and find a free one (don't download anything it should be easily possible from just pictures like this http://www.displaycalibration.com/).
And it may be low res and even old, but being a flat screen (I'm assuming you mean CRT) doesn't make it bad, I'm certain my IBM P260 big old CRT at work has far better image quality than your new 1 year old mointor.

Quote:
i am wondering where would i start on the presets for this? nvidia control panel? cuase my card is nvidia 9800gtx. and i would definatly try and check this out iv seen presets in nvidia panel iv changed them slightly before but not alot of tinkering cause i did'nt figure they would do much.

Wherever you prefer, best is if you can achieve quality without changing nV control panel settings, it's easier to tweak if you can do it through the monitor, and should stay the same easier, and also let you go further with card effects.

Quote:
and i have always used nvidia but ati looks very tempting after seeing how pure 9better shaders or somethin) and they way it makes graphics look as opposed to nvidia. however looking at the charts it seems wsith AA maxed and AF maxed nvidia usaly fairs better.

Not anymore, the new ATi chips both has better image quality and better performance than the nVidia ones.

Quote:
so sinc ei have time before i upgrade lol i am tryin to figure out what i should be looking for/at and wondering if ATI just has better quality of graphic looks to them.

Just take it slow, and read reviews, trust the volume of reviews more than just any one review or person's opinion, including mine. With more info it should be easy to make your own choice and edjucate yourself.

Quote:
as for the resolution mine is set at max 1680-1250 and hers is 1200-800

If those are the resolutions then there's something wrong with both, those aren't native resolutions for anything, at best it should be 1680x1050 and 1280x800 (not a usual resolution for a CRT which are usually 4:3 except for the very rare Widescreen CRTs, which are usually much higher resolution than that).
September 26, 2009 7:48:17 PM

ok thanks for the help. i will take a look at how my monitor is calabrated. and the resloutions you mentioned are exactly right. i just dont always rember them very well but mine is 1650-1050. it is a wide screen acer p221w but it was bought before they had the bloom of 1900-1200res monitors. prolly is about 2 years oldmaybe slightly more. but will definalty keep this is mind. i think i have a program for calibrating monitors just never figured out how it works or if it was helpfull. somethin from pass mark monitor test. but will definatly do that first.

another question not sure if anyone hs personal expericne on this with gaming but under 3d settings in Nvidia Panel where it says manage 3D settings. is any of that stuff benificial to enable or disable for quality. like one thing i noticed is that tripple buffer is turned off. but if a game can make use of this can it over-ride that setting or is this stuff under that menue hardly usefull?

also when i tinker with those settings i get game crashes o9n champions online not sure if it is related to playing with those settings or nt. becase champions still is a bit new MMO. also i use outpost firewall on windows x64 and outpost firewall itself cause alot of bsod's. (it's a headache gonna un-install it when i find somthin new cause i have to run half of it disabled for it not to BSOD when game launches)

but i was just wondering if bsods for changing stuff in the controll panale for new games is common.
September 29, 2009 6:05:34 AM

hmm okay. i went to your link. it said file not found or somthin like that. am looking to see if there are any free calibrators out there
September 29, 2009 6:13:36 AM

ok i downoaded and used passmark monitoer test free trail. i could not realy figure it out it looked perfect to me. im wondering since the monitor is digital and it don't use vga it uses that strange digital cable HDMI i think, and has somthin called acer coler management does this mean it automaticly confiures itself pretty good.
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2009 7:36:29 AM

Weird it was working when I posted it. WTF !?!

You might want to google free display calibrators, but that's strange. And being digital doesn't matter, only if it has a built in colourimeter would it be able to self-adjust correctly, and even then they sometimes need tweaks.

Triple buffering is a good thing, it's somewhat similar to V-sync in what it results in (smoother frames), but for a detailed explanation there was a good recent review from Anand;
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3591

For other settings you can google the term it should have info to help you figure each one out, or if you look at the ATi Control Centre on your girlfriend's card, they have little pictures of what the effect is supposed to do to an image.

As for the BSODs I'm not sure what's with that.

!