Solved

Fan speed help

I am overclocking my 6970, and when the GPU get's to a certain temp - it doesn't happen on all games - the game freezes. I generally cannot OC past 920/1440.

Now, I notice that the fan speed (which is set to auto in overdrive) never really goes above 35%, allowing my GPU to get too hot and shut down.

I tried to use rivatuner, but my drivers - which are new - are not compatible. Precision doesn't work, either.

So, my question is, what would be a good manual fan speed that would keep my GPU cool, while still being a safe speed?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about speed help
  1. 40%, 50% whatever isnt too loud for you, and ive found with cpu overclocking that if your voltage isnt high enough (im sure this sounds stupid :P) when it reaches a certain temp it will freeze
  2. nna2 said:
    40%, 50% whatever isnt too loud for you, and ive found with cpu overclocking that if your voltage isnt high enough (im sure this sounds stupid :P) when it reaches a certain temp it will freeze

No, it doesn't sound stupid. And I have a pair of headphones so I don't really care about the noise.

Also, you said cpu - did you mean gpu?

Thanks.
  3. Best answer
    Reduce the OC a little. And keep the fans at 40%. Try using MSI Afterburner and see if you can regulate the fans then.
  4. alyoshka said:
    Reduce the OC a little. And keep the fans at 40%. Try using MSI Afterburner and see if you can regulate the fans then.

Thanks, I will try that.
  5. Best answer selected by PcGamer81.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Fan Speed Overclocking