Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fan speed help

Last response: in Overclocking
November 20, 2011 2:39:01 AM

I am overclocking my 6970, and when the GPU get's to a certain temp - it doesn't happen on all games - the game freezes. I generally cannot OC past 920/1440.

Now, I notice that the fan speed (which is set to auto in overdrive) never really goes above 35%, allowing my GPU to get too hot and shut down.

I tried to use rivatuner, but my drivers - which are new - are not compatible. Precision doesn't work, either.

So, my question is, what would be a good manual fan speed that would keep my GPU cool, while still being a safe speed?

More about : fan speed

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2011 4:45:53 AM

40%, 50% whatever isnt too loud for you, and ive found with cpu overclocking that if your voltage isnt high enough (im sure this sounds stupid :p ) when it reaches a certain temp it will freeze
m
l
November 21, 2011 7:42:45 AM

nna2 said:
40%, 50% whatever isnt too loud for you, and ive found with cpu overclocking that if your voltage isnt high enough (im sure this sounds stupid :p ) when it reaches a certain temp it will freeze

No, it doesn't sound stupid. And I have a pair of headphones so I don't really care about the noise.

Also, you said cpu - did you mean gpu?

Thanks.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2011 8:43:50 AM

Reduce the OC a little. And keep the fans at 40%. Try using MSI Afterburner and see if you can regulate the fans then.
November 21, 2011 1:32:17 PM

alyoshka said:
Reduce the OC a little. And keep the fans at 40%. Try using MSI Afterburner and see if you can regulate the fans then.

Thanks, I will try that.
m
l
November 22, 2011 3:44:54 PM

Best answer selected by PcGamer81.
m
l
!