twaize

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Hello

After many considerations, I'm finally ready to build my first computer, and I wanted to check in here, and hear what people have to say, ideas, alterations etc.

CAS: Antec Three Hundred
GFX: Radeon HD 4770
CPU: Phenom II X3 720
MOB: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
MEM: Corsair XMS3 DHX 2 x 2 GB
PSU: Corsair VX550W or TX650W, need some help here, do I really need the 650, not just now, but down the line?
DVD: LG GH22NP20 Super Multi
HD1: Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD502HJ 500 GB
HD2: Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD502HJ 500 GB
(RAID 1)

Any thoughts?
Thank you
P.S. I'm Danish and sitting in Denmark, so a price level would be pointless, it doesn't compare to US prices, sorry. But if you must know, this runs at just under 5000 DKK or roughly 950 USD.

^ Thats is a good setup...
But I can make out some costly parts from that list, for which you an easily find cheaper alternatives...
1. RAM - DHX is pretty overpriced...You can get good RAM sets from GSkillz, OCZ for less...
2. 4770 is a very good card for resolutions upto 1440X900 or even 1680X1050...
Even check out the HD 4850...It will perform little better at stock...Get which ever is cheaper...
3. PSU - You wont even require 550W for that setup...Even a Corsair 400CX can do the job...But I wouldnt actually suggest that though...So stick with 550VX as it can handle even more powerful cards if you plan to add one...But another good alternative, that would be cheaper than the 550VX - Antec EA500...Even this PSU is very good...So if you get this cheaper, then get this one...

Rest are good...And you might want to add a after market CPU cooler if you are planning to overclock(Which you should for that X3) to get a good performance...

And you might want to hold your purchase till September 9th as intel and maybe even AMD might launch newer CPUs, that might push the prices down...And intel generally would launch CPU world-wide...

twaize

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

Thank you for your reply.
1. When I search for 4 GB of DDR3 ram, the DHX RAM is some of the cheapest which isn't noname on the Danish price aggregate site I use (which really does go everywhere). But I'll look into it when I get back from uni.
2. I have read that the HD4850 is more powerful, but it's also more expensive, not a lot, but I want to try and it hit under the 5000 limit, if I can keep it there, looking into the ANTEC EA500, I can have a look :).
3. I'll surely take a look, thank you.

twaize

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
4770 is cheaper in Denmark, don't know about the limited supply, but it's in stock and cheaper here.
I'm sorry that I forgot to reply about some of the points you made before. I want to get into overclocking, and I will be buying an aftermarket cooler eventually, but the coolers that support AM3 are not plentiful yet, not by a long shot. I guess though, just starting out in OC, I don't need anything all that special. One of the ideas of the pc, is that I will add on it over time.

And September 9th? Brilliant idea, cheers.

EDIT: However looking at available PSU's, the VX550W is the cheapest PSU I would entrust my system with. The Antec Earthwatts is about 2 dollars cheaper; and with the reviews I've just read, it's the VX550W for me.

AM2, AM2+, and AM3 all use the same retention for the cooler. Any AM2 cooler will work with AM3.