What's the longest time you ever left your pc turned on without reboot

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I know, this thread is somewhat pointless, but i'm wondering how many have had overcame my own record, 1 month and two weeks on a pentium III 800mhz till windows xp started to show bugs :pt1cable:

State your computer and windows!

critical updates that need a reboot are usually the reason I would restart .

But I once ran an installation of Windows Me for 27 days just to prove that it wasnt as bad as some people were telling me . I only had to reboot that after a power cut

My HTPC/video editing rig runs 24/7. I only restart it when required by an update. I guess the longest time between restarts was about 5 months.

E6420 overclocked to 3.2GHz
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
4GB DDR2 800 G.Skill PI Black
5 Western Digital HD's of various capacities
Hauppauge HVR-1600 & HVR-2250 TV tuners
Corsair HX520 PSU

64-bit Vista/64-bit Windows 7 dual boot (been running strictly on the Windows 7 partition since the RC came out.

For my main rig? ~2 weeks - updates are the reason for rebooting most of the time.

I've had my eee with ubuntu up for >4 months before though (with occasional periods of sleep in there).

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I have a back office box running FreeBSD that does all kinds of neat things like file & web sharing services, firewall, RSYNC backups and a couple of PostgreSQL databases (for the web services). It was running for over 37 months before last weekend, when I patched it and rebooted.

The Mac Pro I keep under the desk went nearly 3 months without a reboot until Apple decided it was time to start patching on a regular basis again. Outside of patch rebotts, though, I can say that I haven't had to reboot the machine otherwise since it was delivered to me 23 months ago.

The frankenbox that sits next to the Mac Pro gets shut down every night. It's running Vista Premium right now (with the free upgrade to Windows 7 whenever it comes out). Since this machine is primarily a gaming and experimentation rig, the only time it doesn't get rebooted on a nightly basis is when I am burning in new hardware or testing new OC settings.

I will have to go look at the Mythbox I have out in the living room, but I know it gets rebooted quite often, at least whenever the power strip gets turned off whenever my wife or I decide to vacuum.

G

doubt ive run for more than a week, missus gets cross when I leave the pc's on lol

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Running a Windows based system for more than a week w/o at least a soft boot is just silly. Windows begins to incur issues after only a couple days. The biggest issue is the system will begin to run slowly. But it can get worse and can lead to software corruption in both software and OS. Ever get that silly message, "Your virtual memory is low, windows is adjusting your virtual memory." Well, that's a problem when you have been running some programs and haven't rebooted for a while. It's a memory leak issue, and a simple reboot fixes it. A word from the wise reboot your system at least once a week if you value your computing performance.

I think you're stuck in the Windows 98 days. My Windows Vista and Windows 7 rigs run for months at a time without a reboot.