Need advice on a $1000 Video Editing/Gaming Build *Updated!*

leoblack9

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Hello there everyone! I've been reading allot (perhaps even geeking a lot) on the many different components that I could use. So I've some questions on my mind as well. I'm a college student whose hobby is mostly video editing and does gaming when I've nothing else to do.

Computer Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Editing (Considering HD Movie editing as well), DVD Burning, HD Movie Viewing, Gaming.

Websites: I prefer NewEgg, but I won't buy online so phooey

Resolution: 1280x1024, or 1680x1280

Overclock: NO

SLi/Crossfire: NO

What I don't need: Speakers, computer chair

WHAT I NEED:

Monitor: SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER 943SWX High Glossy Black 18.5" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 15000:1 (DC) w/ HDCP Support - Retail

Graphics card: SAPPHIRE 100277L Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Motherboard
: ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - Retail

Some more background info about what I need:

What type of Video editing? I use mostly Sony Vegas (I like putting effects/compositing a lot), and I'm currently learning Adobe Premier, After Effects, and Visionlab

What games? I wont play crysis so don't worry, no new games either. Ranging from Warcraft to Battle Realms to Red Alert 4, some need for speed games, and GTA VC and SA. Currently waiting for Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and GTA IV for PC.

My Computer is on a corner in my room surrounded by walls. But I'm ready for the scorching heat for the performance.

what's my previous computer? An Acer Aspire L310, 1.80ghz C2D E4300, Intel 946GZ graphics, 4GB 800mhz ram, how's that for muscle? .. Yeah it's crap by now.

You will be hard pressed to fit an i7 in at 1000. Do you live near a microcenter and where do you plan to buy from? Do you have any parts from a previous build you can carry over? A 19" monitor isnt very large, and a 17" is fairly small for a desktop, you wont need more than a 4850 to run a 19" monitor. Definitely get windows 7 x64, XP x64 had some issues and 7 is almost out, since you are in college you may have a friend with access to the MSDNAA who can get ultimate for you.

leoblack9

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
You will be hard pressed to fit an i7 in at 1000.

Yes I get that, a lot. I guess i5 is the way to go?

Do you live near a microcenter and where do you plan to buy from?

I don't live in the US, but I know a mall nearby where there are a lot of computer stores in it.

A 19" monitor isnt very large, and a 17" is fairly small for a desktop

Actually I'm kinda satisfied with my measly 17" Acer stock monitor. But I want an HD quality monitor as well.

And I'm worried about my electric bills too.

Definitely get windows 7 x64, XP x64 had some issues and 7 is almost out, since you are in college you may have a friend with access to the MSDNAA who can get ultimate for you.

Really? Then crap, I got the Windows 7 32-bit, which is what I'm using right now.

You will be fine with the 32 bit version but your video editing will appreciate an upgrade to 64 bit later so it has access to more ram. Where do you live? Proximon has a list of various etailers around the world and one that delivers anywhere, you can generally get a much better deal online than in store except on select items like the i7 at microcenter.

Wait a few days to see how the i5's stack up compared to the AMD quads and how they are priced, its going to be an interesting week.

leoblack9

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
You will be fine with the 32 bit version but your video editing will appreciate an upgrade to 64 bit later so it has access to more ram.

Yeah I guess I'll settle with a 3GB memory for the time being, thanks for that.

Where do you live? Proximon has a list of various etailers around the world and one that delivers anywhere, you can generally get a much better deal online than in store except on select items like the i7 at microcenter.

I live in the Philippines, the stores I know here are probably unheard of there in the US. The only known computer stores here are the retail / oem ones. Namely Sony, Acer, and others.

I'll take your word on the online buying part, especially on the i7. It costs like $300+ here!

Wait a few days to see how the i5's stack up compared to the AMD quads and how they are priced, its going to be an interesting week.

I'm willing to wait until Christmas sales though, oh yeah 32nm cores here I come.