Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7 in a Lian-Li Case, need advice

Last response: in Components
November 28, 2009 2:01:59 PM

Greetings,
I need some advice. I have a older Lian-Li PC-7 case. I want to do a rebuild and put in an i7 1156 motherboard with (probably) a HD 5770 video card.

All of the recommended heatsinks (such as the Ultra-120, Hyper 212, Mugen 2, Megahalems) are about 160mm tall, and I'm concerned that with any of those, I won't be able to get the side back on the case.

I'm not going to be overclocking the system. I've always gone with a higher-performance heatsink for insurance, since the Intel stock heatsinks have usually been regarded as "mediocre".

Can anybody give me some advice on this? Does anybody have a similar Lian-Li case & can confirm whether or not I can get a tall heatsink to fit? Or can somebody recommend an alternative heatsink that isn't a skyscraper? Or is the stock heatsink good enough and I can run with that? I really don't want to mess with water cooling either. Or maybe I just have to bite the bullet and get a new case.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

More about : lian case advice

a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2009 5:50:46 PM

If you're not going to overclock then you don't need such a high-end cooler as those you listed.

I'm not up-to-speed on 1156 coolers though, so look at what's out there for that socket and go with something that will fit - they'll all be better than a stock Intel.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 28, 2009 7:53:33 PM

I was thinking of getting the newer Lian Li PC-9B for a new project. The case is wide enough to take one of those 160mm tower style heatsinks. I keep recycling my original Thermalright Ultra 120.

The width of your PC-7 is 8.27 inches and there is no fan on the side panel so you will not have any problems installing a 160mm tall heatsink.

You also will not have any problems installing an ATI radeon HD 5770 video card.
m
l
Related resources
November 28, 2009 8:41:34 PM

Hey, thanks for the replies. I believe I made a mistake- I'm thinking my cases are the PC-5, not the PC-7. When I measure the case width, I get 207mm. From the mounting plane to the side cover is 177mm, standoffs are about 7mm, leaving about 167mm from the mobo surface to the side panel. That doesn't give me the warm-fuzzies.

m
l

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
November 28, 2009 9:43:50 PM

PC-5? Gee that's old. That's so old Lian Li doesn't even have it in their historical chassis archive.

Your measurement of 207mm is probably 210mm which is fairly standard. That's what it is for the PC-7, PC-8, and the PC-9. That works out to a case width of about 8.26 inches which is sufficient for a 160mm tall heatsink. In fact, anything over 8 inches will accomodate a tower style heatsink.

If the side panel had a 25mm thick case fan, then the fan would have to removed.

November 29, 2009 1:47:37 PM

Hey JohnnyLucky, yeah, the cases were purchased back in the Athlon XP days... say, 2002-3-ish. I tried Google-ing some info, but looking at pics, it's tough to find something decisive. The PC-7 pics look closest to what I have, though there appear to be many variations in the front panel styles of the PC-7. Because I bought two cases within 6 mos. then a third about a year later, mine all look slightly different. But I could swear they were PC-5.

Anyway, I'll take a leap on a 160mm cooler then. I just gotta decide which now. I saw the Maximum PC review of the Hyper 212. Wouldn't ya know, Newegg is sold out...

m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 29, 2009 1:53:35 PM

Here is a link to an excellent web site with a lot of useful information about cpu heatsinks:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

You can use the embedded search engine to find more information about socket specific heatsinks.
m
l
December 13, 2009 11:32:41 AM

Hey JohnnyLucky, I've got the i7 guts installed in my Lian-Li case. You were correct, sir. There is about 8mm clearance from between the side panel and the top of the Megahalems, the heat pipe tips, that is.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 12:03:30 PM

Great! :bounce: 

I just ordered a Lian Li / Lancool Dragon Lord case. I plan on recycling my old Thermalright Ultra 120 if I can get a LGA 1156 bracket for it.

Good Luck!
m
l
December 13, 2009 12:43:35 PM

There is one problem with my Lian-Li case and the mobo I have in it (ASUS P7P55D Deluxe) ... the mobo's SATA connectors and the hard drive cage proximity. I can't slide the cage in all the way without putting pressure on the upper SATA connectors & flexing the mobo. I figure I can either try left-angle SATA cables or mod the drive cage slightly by beveling something like a 3" x 3/4" notch out of it. That shouldn't affect the integrity of the cage. I just hate to hack up that nice case. :) 
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 2:59:10 PM

I am looking a a close up photo of your motherboard as I write this. Your motherboard has the SATA ports that some users do not like because of the exact same problem you have. The usual solution is to use SATA cables with those 90 degree angles. Hopefully that will help and you won't have to modify your drive cage.

Here are samples of what I mean:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4307/cab-87/Black_SAT...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9165/sat-88/Black_SAT...
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 3:15:06 PM

Yes, that should do it.

Good Luck!
m
l
December 23, 2009 5:27:59 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Yes, that should do it.

Good Luck!

Hey JohnnyLucky, I got the left-angle SATA cables. They were very quick on the shipping. Worked great, didn't need to mod the drive cage. I bought a handful of both the 8" and 20" cables, used the 8's to reduce the cable spaghetti. Nice. Now I'm tempted to try some overclocking using the ASUS apps. Overclocking for noobs :) 
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 23, 2009 5:37:23 PM

Terrific!

Happy Holidays!
m
l
!