Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading video card enough for current lot of PC games?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 25, 2009 6:33:03 AM

Hi. Sorry for this newbie-esque question but...

I have the following configuration in my machine:

AMD Athlon XP2500+ 1.833 Ghz socket A processor
3 GB/RAM
Radeon 9200 SE with 128MB DDR video card

My question is:

If I just upgrade the video card to something with like 512 MB of RAM (just picking that # out thin air, so to speak), will this be enough to play the current batch of first-person shooters out there on my PC?

Or, do I also need to upgrade my processor?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
LouLoomis

September 25, 2009 6:37:47 AM

u need a whole new computer.
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2009 12:37:30 PM

total new pc needed
Related resources
September 25, 2009 7:06:04 PM

Yes, probably a new machine.
However, let's assume that you have neither the cash or the inclination to upgrade.

I'm assuming that this machine contains an AGP slot, rather than PCIe.
In which case you could get better performance by picking up an AGP 4670.
Whether this will 'be enough to play the current batch of first-person shooters out there on my PC' is open to debate.

Some would say no due to the CPU limitation. But you'll be able to play things you had no chance of playing on a 9200, albeit at reduced details and resolutions.
September 25, 2009 10:24:04 PM

Lol, k... Take your computer to the desert, bring your dad's shotgun, saw off the top of it (shotgun) bring a case of full shells, and just throw that sucker (computer) to the floor, and blast it. After your dry (empty on bullets) load her back up, and start blasting her.
a c 147 U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 1:31:13 AM

Your CPU would limit how good a graphics card you could utilize. You can buy any one that fits you just can't use any but the very slowest to their full extent.

I've got an X2-4800+ CPU which is considerably more powerful than yours and the fastest card I can possibly make use of us the HD4770. In fact, I have a couple games that run my CPU at over 90% meaning for those games I can't use much more than my HD3870.

There may be some games you can play with a graphics update but none of the main titles.
September 26, 2009 6:35:41 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it.

Regards,
LouLoomis
September 26, 2009 9:11:28 AM

pluke the 2 said:
Lol, k... Take your computer to the desert, bring your dad's shotgun, saw off the top of it (shotgun) bring a case of full shells, and just throw that sucker (computer) to the floor, and blast it. After your dry (empty on bullets) load her back up, and start blasting her.

oh dudee..!
sarcasm ! [/]
lol..rather than that..he can sell those parts to someone ! :p 
!