opteron

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Im looking for a new PSU to power some heavilly overclocked hardware (specs below). Im getting massive vdrop from my current Hiper-X 530W PSU accross all 3 lines (12,5,3.3).

IS the corsair 950W going to be any good at keeping stable? Ive read some glowing reports over the net, but if you look hard enough, you'll find a good review for everything.

I trust the peeps here at THG, so would you go for it? I have £120 (strictly) or under to spend.

opteron

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Edit: Forgot the specs.

Asus P5KC mobo
4GB DDR1066 OCZ GOLD
E8400 Wolfdale E0 @ 4.4GHz (With a stable psu)
Asus EAH3850X2 Gfx (May add another)
Xigmatek Dark Knight Cooler
Zalman ZM-MFC3 Fan Controller
3 * Yate Loon 120mm Fans
LG Blu Ray / HD DVD Combi Drive
4 Internal HDD's
Samsung 1TB External Drive
2 * Philips Ambx Starter Kits
2 * UV Cold Cathode Kits (12 inch)

So thats what it needs to put up with.

opteron

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006

I just figure that the vdrop will be much less likely if its barely breaking a sweat. Plus its good to have power in reserve for when twin 5970's becomes affordable.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Yeah, your system could probably run on a 450w or 550w corsair. BUT if you are looking to throw in 2 5970s hehe, then yeah I'd probably go for the 950w, and yes, it is a mighty good PSU.

opteron

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006

I have an Asus 3850 X2 card in there. I will be upgrading to an ATi 5970 when they come down to a sensible price. Maybe 2 of them.

Here are the official ATI recommendations for the ATI Radeon HD 5970 video card:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

650 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin and one 150 watt, 8-pin, PCI Express® power connectors

850 Watt power supply with two 75 watt 6-pin and two 150 watt, 8-pin, PCI Express connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Well I LOVE my TX-850, altho some say i should never tri-SLI with this PSU.... I can quad SLI GTX295 or CrossfireX HD 5970..? haha wat gives.. lol Anyways as you already know, the TX-950 is bigger, and bigger is better.. All I can say is get it! You wont regret it!

velfaires

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Do not buy a TX950 if you are running Windows 7x64 on a new motherboard. This PSU is not compatible with the new P6T's coming out and Corsair refuses to acknowledge the problem ! My TX950 would crash Windows 7 at installation & startup, I purchased a Silverstone St1000 instead and it runs like a dream !

The PSU might have been bad, but it was a one time problem (not a compatibility issue). The TX950 is a great PSU, and will power basically any system on the market.

velfaires

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009

Wrong and you shouldn't expect anyone who posts to be unaware of what they're saying.

I first learned of this problem while troubleshooting my system and swapping various parts, see the links below that helped me figure this problem. Swapping out the TX950 from my P6TD i7 / Windows 7 Ultimate solved the issue. The TX950 did however work perfect with an A8N32 X2 4200 running Windows XP. It just doesn't work with the latest hardware.

Here are my specs :

i7 920
P6TD 02
6GB DDR3 Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D
XFX 5870
X-FI Titanium Pro (overkill but from my old system)
Pioneer 22+ DVDr/rw
74GB Raptor + WD 1TB
Silverstone ST1000-P (was a TX950)
HAF 932
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

This PSU does not work with a P6 running windows 7 x64 ultimate.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/2064-63-windows-install-hangs-starting-windows-screen
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817139013 (see the cons posted by reviewers on Win7 lockups)
Hell, there are multiple posts at Corsair's Forum about this :
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=431791
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84067

There's a post there from Ram that states that they are looking into the issue, how's that "refusing to acknowledge " the problem ?

It's not the first time in history that compatibility issue's between power supplies and other components has happened.
It's upsetting , but s_it happens , even to the best of them.

velfaires - Finally some links. I just got around to this thread. I saw your comments about the Corsair TX950 in other threads but without the links. I clicked on each link you posted and read everything. Based on the links it you provided it appears as if the issue is restricted to the new Asus P6 motherboards for the Intel Core i7 processors and the Corsair TX950 power supply.

Statistically there is a 75% probabilty that the psu is the problem and a 25% probability the motherboard is the problem.

I got curious when I discovered in one of the links you posted that Corsair and Asus are working together on the problem and have not been able to recreate the problem. Taking it at face value it appears there is a real mystery.

I decided to check for TX950 issues with other motherboard manufacturers. I was thinking if the TX950 was defective the problem might also appear with other motherboard brands. So far I have not found any issues with other motherboards. In fact, I found one thread where the individual replaced his Asus P6 motherboard with a MSI P6N Platinum motherboard and his problem with the TX950 disappeared.

I'll dig around a little more as time permits.

velfaires

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009

Support was stringing me around for 3 weeks saying there weren't issues before finally offering to replace my PSU with a HX 850...(after I filed a complaint) It cost me 54$ to send them this piece of junk TX950 from Japan to their HQ in Taiwan. By the time I receive the HX850, it will have been 4 weeks and seeing as how this issue first began appearing on forums online in October of 2009, you would expect Corsair to publish some information about this online. Nothing, they refuse to acknowledge a flaw in this PSU, the only thing of value I was told was that Corsair does NOT MANUFACTURE ANY OF THEIR PSU's, they are simply extending their brand name to suppliers. They were trying to say it's not an issue with the TX but with the P6T... hmm... well my P6TD worked great with an Acbel 550, and runs super with my Silverstone, go figure !

Reading online about Corsair PSU's made me realize that it's not just any suppliers that build these PSU's, but junk suppliers. That's why I purchased the Silverstone before receiving the HX (which I'll use for a ghetto build in the future).

Again, stay away from the TX unless you want to have issues !

You seriously think Corsair PSUs are junk? You're clueless.

They are among the best built, most stable PSUs on the market, all of which are capable of well above their rated output. The HX850 is among the best, with stunningly low ripple and incredible efficiency.

velfaires

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Why do you keep referring to these products as Corsair PSU's ? ?? They do not manufacture any products from their PSU line, never have. They alternate between suppliers and it's hit or miss when purchasing their products. You haven't done your research, I have, that would make you clueless -_-. Just scroll through the thousands of comments on newegg, you'll see a stream of positive comments and then a wave of RMA batches lol... Whatever, buy what you like but the facts remain : The TX950 is not compatible with P6T boards running win 7 ~ And what's up with that anyways? Since when did a PSU not be compatible with a motherboard??? Junk I tell you...

I refer to them as Corsair PSUs because that is how they are labeled. I am aware that they are made by a variety of manufacturers (the TX950 is made by Channel Well for example), and I am also aware that they all meet quite strict quality requirements, and those requirements are set by Corsair. As such, Corsair is responsible for the amazing quality of the units.

Oh, and newegg reviews are not research. Research would be looking at the actual reviews of the unit, specifically those that test it at full load and look at the ripple and efficiency, preferably at elevated temperatures. All of these reviews show that Corsair makes excellent PSUs.

See here for example:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=170
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=153

velfaires

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Again, reread the links I posted: Dozens of users with a variety of new p6 boards running Windows 7 & reporting crashes/lockups at Windows 7 startup with a TX950. The factual opinions of those buyers matter more than the opinion of a reviewer that was given a handcrafted-golden-version of a PSU that is eventually mass-manufactured by the cheapest suppliers. I originally purchased a TX950 after reading one of those golden reviews before experiencing the TX950's faults personally, learning of Corsair's crappy manufacturers & inclusion of cheap/garbage parts in their PSU's in comparison to competitors.

The TX950 is a hit or miss product and is not compatible with the latest Asus boards running windows 7 !

AMW1011

Distinguished
velfaires, ok don't buy a TX-950 if you have a P6 and Win 7. We get it. That doesn't make the PSU bad, since 99%+ of consumers who buy the damn thing wont have a P6 and Win 7 and the P6 isn't exactly an amazing motherboard that you can't live without anyway. The amazing deal and quality of the TX-950, well that is a different story.

Also, if you can, send that damn Silverstone back and get something of similar quality to the TX-950, like the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910w (manuf. by SeaSonic not Channel Well so it is totally different). silverstone is a brand of PSU maker that has a lot of experience with angry customers.

velfaires

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
The TX950 doesn't just have issues on Windows 7 with the latest i7 boards, it's having it with other Asus boards as well, read into the links I posted ! The OP asked about this PSU, I own 1 and cannot say for other boards but on my P6TD this thing does not work !

And the silverstone st1000-p smokes the TX950 and has better efficiency than a HX1000 !

The ST1000-P does not smoke a TX950. It is worse in every measure I can find, and is made from lower quality components. I'm glad you're happy with it, but you'd honestly be better off with the HX850 (or the TX950, and I am unconvinced about your compatibility proclamations - you should be happy with the exchange you got though. The HX850 is superior to the TX950 in basically every way).