Computer is very warm

celticdarren

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Okay, so I wanted to overclock but my computer is just too warm right now so I want to fix this problem.

I have a Zalman 7500 currently for my heatsink of my Q6600 processor. It was running at like 50-60 idle! Maybe just under 40 on rare occasion. So I took off the heatsink and gave it a good clean (it was horrid!) and reapplied the thermal paste. Now I have it all back together and as I type this I have a temp of 82!!!! So Im going to finish this then stop. I guess my thermal isnt enough or something?

ross_mitchell

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Make sure that your case fans are in a good configuration, they should be venting air from the front to the back. Also make sure that none of the fans are facing each other.

Also ensure that:
- Your cpu is not overvolted before overclocking
- You have applied the thermal compound like the instructions say to.
- Your case fans (assuming you have any) are powerful enough.
- You cleaned the heatsink and processor properly (with isopropyl alcohol) before using the thermal paste
- You are using a good thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
When you clean off the old thermal paste use isopropyl alcohol to get all the old gunk off. Get a quality thermal paste (such as arctic silver) and godillocks it (not too little, not too much). You should never get higher temps after a cleaning & re application of thermal compound. But if your temps are too high anyway you may need to get a new cooler.