Fan noise? ? ?

I have an HP Pavilion ze5300 laptop with a very noisy fan.

There is a BIOs download which fixes this problem to a small degree, but
it's still noisy. It's almost shrill.

I can further mute this by using a small piece of foam -- like the kind used
with telephone microphones.

Is this dangerous?
1 answer Last reply
More about noise

    Ray Jenkins wrote:
    > I have an HP Pavilion ze5300 laptop with a very noisy fan.
    >
    > There is a BIOs download which fixes this problem to a small degree,
    > but it's still noisy. It's almost shrill.
    >
    > I can further mute this by using a small piece of foam -- like the
    > kind used with telephone microphones.
    >
    > Is this dangerous?

    If the foam is in the path of the intake or exhaust air, then there is a
    risk of pushing the CPU thermal protection into auto shutdown and any
    consequent thermal damage. If the fan is running constantly at high
    speed, you should open Task Manager and determine what, if anything, is
    running in the background that is creating a CPU load, then disabling
    that application or service (if it makes sense) in msconfig (run
    command, type: msconfig, select startup tab). The system idle process
    is the rest state of the CPU and should normally be greater than 95%
    unless you have started a application that loads the CPU.

Laptops Fan HP Pavilion