Dell Inspiron Package: Suitable for a Casual Gamer?

jackthelion

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm interested in purchasing a new pc, and I found this Dell Inspiron package:

http://bfads.net/Dell-Inspiron-537s-w-Pentium-E5300-4GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-and-Windows-7-Home-at-Dell-Home-Online

Also, this is not mentioned, but has a Radeon HD 4350 as its gpu.

I'm a very casual gamer, but I'm interested in playing some of the latest games coming out these days. Will this computer merely be able to run them well? I don't care about maxed out settings or anything like that. I just want to be able to play.

So, for the money, is this a good deal, or should I be looking somewhere else for my gaming machine?

4350 is a very low end GPU that can't play anything.

That deal isn't too bad. If it's a standard case (non-slimline) buy it and then swap out the graphics card for a 5750 (low power usage and a good gaming GPU that equals the 4850).

Or you can build your own PC, or go to websites such as digitalstorm, ibuypower, cyberpower, etc

jackthelion

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

Thanks so much BSD. It actually turns out that this deal IS for a slimline. Does that make it more difficult to upgrade the graphics card?

Yep...it is nearly impossible to find good GPUs for slimeline computers.

Are you willing to build a computer yourself? My first time doing that wasn't too difficult...and there are plenty of guides online and video guides on youtube.

Or go to customPC builders such as digitalstorm, ibuypower, cyberpower, etc

jackthelion

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

It's something I was leaning against, but the more I look, the more appealing it looks. I may just buy a less "package dealed" inspiron, and get about similar specs but with less RAM, and then put in a better graphics card, or I may build from scratch. But either way, you've been worlds of help. :)

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Totally build it yourself.

You'll save money, learn a whole lot about your computer, have all quality parts (if you pick right) from the mobo to the PSU, and that feeling of accomplishment. :) And most likely a better future upgrade path.

Like BSoD said, its very easy. Just read your motherboard manual and youtube has some good videos that show you what to do. If you can use a screw driver and know how to follow instructions then you can build a computer.

Latest posts