Better Option Than RAID 1? Would This Even Work?

raykinstl

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008
Hey guys,

I recently built my own computer, with and SSD drive and gave my old computer to my parents. It had a 160 GB raptor drive that ws connected by a SATA cable. In their old computer, they had a regular 160 GB IDE drive. I moved that drive over to my old machine, so they now have the 160 GB raptor drive (running the OD and applications) and a currently blank secondary drive that is connected by the IDE cable. Can I set these two drives up in a RAID 1 config so that their data is backed up on the secondary drive? Would there be a better solution? They have pictures and stuff they don't want to lose, and a redundant back up would be nice, but I am looking to do it for the cost of $0. If this can't be done, is there a software solution (preferably free) that will continuously back up folders you tell it to, to a secondary drive? Any help is greatly appreciated.

The motherboard (in case you need to know this) is the generic one that came with the computer. The computer was a Dell XPS 630i, which was a higher end machine, but I think the motherboard was still unspectacular. Thanks guys.

Ray

Solution
Why not use the second hard disk as a backup drive? RAID 1 is nice, but it doesn't protect against viruses or an accidental file deletion. What OS is installed?

raykinstl

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008
Windows 7. I had never played with Windows Automatic Back Up before. I have it set up to back up the folders I want backed up on a weekly basis. This should work well. Thanks!

A word of advice. Never presume that your backup is 100% perfect. To test it, I usually restore a couple files or a folder to a different location (then I delete the restored data) or I browse the backup to make sure that it's readable.