Attempt to reset the display driver failed

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
is this a driver issue? someone said it was my card, i fail to believe this as i have read numerous posts on other sites about ati's display drivers being faulty, i have ran furmark and amd overdrive stability, no problems, every now and again when i start up there are dots on the screen, then horizontal lines, then i get the "attempt to reset display driver failed" bsod, but then upon reset this issue goes away and everything is fine. anyone experiencing this?

specs

720be overclocked to 3.4 gig

4890 overclocked to 930 on core and 1200 on memory clock

gigabyte ga-ma790gp-ud4h

4 gig 1066 crucial ballistix

windows vista 32 bit oem edition

antec 550 truepower

slight side track but while i remember, does vista heavily affect 3d mark scores? latest score 16348 :)

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
it happens when i go to 940 on the core clock, if i go back to 930 everything is fine, i ran furmark for 10 hours with no probs and ran amd overdrive stability test for 5-6 hours no problems, as soon as i go to 940 on the core clock, display driver stops responding though, so im guessing its the gpu being undervolted, but im not going to overvolt, cuz i dont need to, the problem lies in ati's new catalyst drivers so i have been told, many people are suffering same problems, i reverted back to old drivers and lowered core clock by 10mhz and all is good, but still, i believe i can get 1000mhz core clock out of my 4890, anyone managed to?

justinheir

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Congratulations on solving your problem, that's a good news man. What kind of cooling system do you use with your PC anyway?

I practice OC but only on my video card.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
i have a foxx1 pci blower beneath my graphics card, 1 120mm fan in the front of the case, 2 80mm at the back, a zalman 9700 heatsink (absolutely brilliant) i also have 2 80mm system fans hidden away at the front, but not properly mounted yet because im a bit lazy and they are completely unseen, my graphics card has stock heatsink and fan, cpu is overclocked at the minute to 3.6ghz, and idle temp is 28 and under full load for 2 hours it hit 42.9 at highest. I think i have finished overclocking now till my system is dated though

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
im not trying to sound like an ass here dude, but have you actually read how many people are having issues with the catylyst 9.9 drivers and also the previous 9.8 driver, also there were issues with 8.9 and 8.7, when the error you get is stated as being related to a driver issue and not a hardware issue, i would assume that the card is not the problem, and if you have read into the 4890 series cards, you can see they have been deliberately designed to be overclocked, i have spoke to several people about this issue, it is a common problem with vista 32 bit systems, i have rolled back the driver and the issue stopped as i stated before, so surely if you read my post properly dude, then you would see i isolated the problem as a driver related issue, and just because people use ati's drivers without issues, does not mean every person will have no issue in using said drivers

justinheir

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009

You have many fans in there ( I guess your PC could sleep like a baby, LOL). Have you considered putting a liquid cooling system? Though I don't trust liquid system on my PC because I heard some guys tripped on them that cause a short.... Though the good news for O.C. enthusiasts is that they would get their system cool faster.

BTW, I got your point on ATI... it really experience problems once in a while.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
hey man, yeah i have considered it before, until i saw my mates liquid cooling system leak and cover his sli gtx280 rig! he wasnt to happy at all! im looking at putting 2 more 120mm fans in aswell, one on the left and one on the right of the case, to suck cold air in and just to keep air flow a little better, as the 120mm at the front only really cools the hard drives, doesnt add any cold air to the system.