CrossFireX not working on 2x 4870 in Win7

b44ris

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Hi all,
So first my specs:
Mobo: GA-MA790GP-DS4H latest Bios (F5).
CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition - stock freq.
GPU 1: ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5
GPU 1: ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5 (the same).
DDRAM2 6GB Corssair
PSU 700W

Problem: I have purchased second 4870 yesterday and plugged it into my rig. Win7 recognised it and soon CrossFire worked. But when I started testing it in games it turned out that my case(4 year old) was having big problems dissipating the heat the two graphic cards were making so I bought a new case. Moved everything into the new case except the TV adapter I was not using anyway and booted up the PC. At first it didn't worked and after a few tries I decided to reset bios. Done and now the computer was booting into Win7. I must say I was too tired to make a fresh install so it's the same Windows.
The problem only appeared now as the second card is not showing up in device manager or CCC. I have the latest 9.9 drivers and CCC. Tried reinstalling the drivers after I uninstall and clean with driver sweeper but no luck.I put one card into main slot and tested it and then the other and they both work fine. I am at a loss as to what should I do next. So mainly second card is not appearing in windows device manager or CCC/GPU-z.

b44ris

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I have no options about dual gpu. Only one to disable/enable onboard gpu. It worked with the onboard gpu enabled in my old case. Now it's not working with either option.

All cables are checked and functional.

Any other ideas?

b44ris

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Nope, not in CCC or Device manager. However the card is picked up by sisoft sandra.

From the pulldown menu of Advanced CCC the CrossfireX tab is hidden, not showing up at all.

b44ris

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Unfortunately older drivers are not working either. I think it must be related to BIOS since that's about the only thing that changed but I simply cannot imagine what exactly changed in there.

b44ris

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
There is no option in bios to enable second pci-e slot.
The fan spins up on boot but I cannot really tell if its spinning down in windows.
I tried using just the second pci-e slot with just one vga in it but there is no output.
I think this is the problem. Second PCI-E seems dead except for the fact that it has power. Any ideas? Maybe a bios flash or ... I don't know.

b44ris

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Fixed!

The card was not inserted fully into the slot but it was the case who was not permitting it to go any further.

It works now so thanks all for helping!

Latest posts