Should I wait till next year to build my comp?

luckyman1707

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I really want to build a new computer, I want this to last me a looonngg time too. With PCI express 3.0 and the new cpu's and direct x 11 coming next year, should I wait?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Depends what you want to do and how much you want to spend. There is always going to be better hardware coming out. What I personally like is to get something upgradeable with a solid foundation, but if I'm only spending a few hundred to begin with, then I can keep upgrading as I go until I'm ready for a new rig.

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
pcie 3.0 is not worth it. current cards do not hit the 2.0 limit yet. if you keep on waiting for the new next best thing, that's all you;ll do. cause there is something new around the corner every six months.

buy the 58xx when it comes out and be done.

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
No reason to wait now. 1156 socket motherboard and processors are all out. There will probably be great deals coming out or out already for back to school, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. It is often good to sit back and check the sites every day and if you see some good deals go for it. It is always possible Intel will lower prices on processors this time of year. Whenever they come out with new processors and chipsets it is a prime time to see lower prices or newer processor coming out.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
and when you do buy 1 month later there will be pci-ex4.0 dirextx 12 6xxx ati cards windows 8 bla bla bla
just wait for the new ati cards this month also windows 7 and a p2 955x4 will do for now this should do for 3-5 years

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
pcie 3.0 is not worth it. current cards do not hit the 2.0 limit yet. if you keep on waiting for the new next best thing, that's all you;ll do. cause there is something new around the corner every six months.

That's completely ridiculous. Yes, there's a new CPU or motherboard every 6 months, but PCI Express updates about every 4 years. Making the wait worthwhile.

And yes, nothing can saturate PCIe 3 today, but in a year or two, as your own post suggests, things will have changed significantly. You can always plug a new graphics card or SSD into your build, but you can't plug a new PCI Express architecture into your motherboard.