HDD in raid 0 vs SSD

Daisy Skippers

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
All,

All, are there any benchmarks or experince with 2 HDD in Raid 0 in comparrison to an SSD, which would be faster?

and has any one tried the revo drive?

RAID 0 can improve the transfer rate of hard drives to the point where it's similar to SSDs, but it's not the transfer rate that makes SSDs so fast, it's the access time. SSDs have an access time that's about 100 times faster than a hard drive, and RAID 0 (or any other RAID organization) does not improve the access time.

RAID 0 with hard drives can help if what you want is to shorten the time it takes to copy or read large files. But it won't help much when you need to read a lot of small files, as in booting or starting programs. Only an SSD can really speed up those kinds of operations.

fifidan06

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Would you know the access time of the momentus xt vs the ssd? or many other info that would help me decide on which one to get? yes ssd obviously faster but its either the 500gb xt or 64gb transcend ssd for more or less the same price.

Can the ssd can store +- 5 games, e.g star craft, black opps and windows 7 64 bit with all its updates? more or less how much space do i need + office+ bit defender

SiphonBlaze

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Just to help you a little bit in here... ive been installing SSDs for my clients fo the past month like crazy... differience from HDD to SSD is a whole other thing. Raid 0 VS SSD overall SSD wins... space wise is vs price is the only advantage on HHD Raid 0 (also durability... is said SSDs tend to have a shorter lifespawn than an HDD... is also said in some cases SSD have some stability flaws... i havent experience any tho) but thats not what i wanted to talk about. I want to talk about facts... i have an SSD on my PC - Before selling this product i wanted to experience the differience myself... i did... im not coming back to HDD. Now space wise... i have a 256GB SSD using windows Ultimate + Office + Nero 10 + PowerDVD 11 + Left 4 Dead 2 COD Black Ops and MW3 City of Heroes and The Secret World Beta. I am using a total of 120GB - If you want to run Windows Office + Basic Software and about 5 games i estimate a total of 100GB of usage... id say you should get a 160 - 180 or why not a 256GB? im currently using a Crucial SSD M4 256GB it came with a transfer kit that allows you to plug your SSD via USB and transfer your whole computer system then all you have to do is swap discs. (I suggest fresh install anyways) That hard drive is just 229.99 and it works a beauty... It gave me a 7.9 on my WEI (they after a few months decay in rating but is nothing alarming... maybe a 0.4 point... but hey! 7.5 is still good! a regular HDD barely make it to 6.0) I hope this helps you out!

nnyms

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
I have a SSD internal drive for applications and run my data (User accounts) via MAC OS 10.8.2 software striping (RAID 0) across two 3.5" 7200rpm 64MB SATA6 HDD's (in mb/sec):

INTERNAL SATA: For sustained read/write on SSD drive: 450+ read/ 240+ write

USB 3.0: For sustained read/write on RAID 0 array: 350+ read/ 350+ write.

The SSD is a little snappier when it comes to switching to User folders contained on it, as opposed to switching to User folders on the RAID 0. Emphasis on little. Great performance on both. Real world, I would happily run my applications on the RAID 0 array and save my money, but MAC OS X does not boot to software RAID.

Note that I am using two separate enclosures and software RAID for my RAID set-up as most *inexpensive* dual enclosures (thus hardware RAID enclosures) are substantially slower than 350mb/sec.

gearhead426

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Breaking the 5.9 WEI score with Dual Seagate 7200 RPM 64k 1T's in RAID0 on ICH10R controller. WEI=6.1
Windows Write Cache Enabled=yes
Write Cache Buffer Flushing=on
Windows Indexing=on

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 940 @ 2.93GHz 34 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.00GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EX58-UD5 (Socket 1366) 29 °C
Graphics
W2452 (1920x1200@59Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (PNY) 29 °C
Storage
1863GB Twin 1000 (RAID)
465GB SAMSUNG HD501LJ (SATA) 21 °C
Optical Drives
LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S ATA Device
Audio
Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)