Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I need rumors on GT300 please

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 25, 2009 12:59:14 PM

OKKKKKKKK, I feel underwhelmed by the 5870's performance against the 295, so the immediate purchase plan I had to replace this aging 7900GS is now out the window....

So, I would like so information regarding the GT300s please, never mind the performance or other things, I just want to know if they are going to be fully DX11, and if they are going to hit the stores before COD err i mean MW2 or SCII, aka before mid-November or at the latest, before 2010.

More about : rumors gt300

September 25, 2009 2:37:38 PM

underwhelmed indeed,
how about the 5850?
looks pretty awesome for it's price
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2009 4:34:43 PM

^^ If true, then right on schedule.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2009 6:31:42 PM

With the limited rumors we have now, it is really hard to say. I think that link above represents extreme best case for them. That's not even counting TSMC problems, and we see how slow the 5800s are coming out despite being ready for a while. So, while it may be possible (and would be nice) I wouldn't get your hopes up until someone beyond Fudzilla says so.
m
l
September 25, 2009 6:43:27 PM

If they are very lucky maybe u will see those cards at december but else its in 2010. And yes it will fully support dx11 and have 40nm architechture for lower power consumption and lower heat. But the problem is yet we are not seeing any concrete specification or even some leak pictures of GT300. So i guess Nvidia still havent ready the cards and it will take a while for them to ready the cards they we will start seeing rumors specification and pictures. Nvidia is trying hard to get those leaked pictures and specification out in the market as soon as possible to make people hold or wait but its gonna take time. So yes there's a chance u may not see GT300 in this year. The 5x series from Ati is pretty much reasonably priced so u can grab one of those. U wont regret it as the price wont fall that much even after couple of months unless Nvidia do some real magic
m
l
September 25, 2009 7:08:56 PM

theholylancer said:
So, I would like so information regarding the GT300s please, never mind the performance or other things, I just want to know if they are going to be fully DX11, and if they are going to hit the stores before COD err i mean MW2 or SCII, aka before mid-November or at the latest, before 2010.

Rumour has it they are great and will comfortably beat the 5870...

Rumour has it they are crap, and will barely beat a 285, never mind a 5870...

Rumour has it they will be available, in volume, at the end of November...

Rumour has it they will be lucky to arrive in Q1 2010...

There are the rumours, take you pick! :) 

m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2009 7:22:33 PM

rumor has it that it is a re-branded G200b core
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2009 7:34:03 PM

Theres the 5870x2 coming in November as well.
I wouldnt completely give up on the 5870 as yet, as Im inclined to think there may be some decent driver improvements, due to ATIs rush out the door, the new MC,shaders etc. Given time, which ATI has, by the time G300 comes, the 5870 may be 5-10% better, or possibly more in some games
m
l
September 25, 2009 7:53:15 PM

ATI has time on there side
m
l
September 25, 2009 8:23:11 PM

Yeah, ATI/AMD's drivers are always absolutely terrible right off the bat. Even the 4800's were that way. They get better with time, so I'm expecting the 5800s to be pretty darned good.

And seriously, what's with the disappointment about the 5870 not beating the 295 all the time? From what I've read, it's right there with it, or slightly behind. Who cares? It's a single card keeping up with a dual-card solution. Pretty impressive, I think.
m
l
September 26, 2009 5:53:44 AM

Well, the sad thing is that in canada, we had a shipment of around 20 to one store (seems the only store...) and it sold out the day before it was suppose to be "out", and there are around 25 pre-orders today when I called....

long story short, because of its lack of 295 pwnage, and its lack of insta-pickup-upgrade-ness, it's making me think before I buy, which is not good rofl

m
l
September 26, 2009 6:06:08 AM

ATI currently have a big leap over Nvidia at this moment. in addition, Nvidia has yet release any sort of benchmark at all. so they claim that it is going to be "smooth." however in business economic theory. if nvidia has something up their sleeve, they would have show it right when ATI launch the 5870 to cool the market down.

i'm assume that Nvidia is in some dip *** position.
perhaps, it's gonna be delay, shortage, or performance isnt so great comparatively to ATI.

m
l
September 26, 2009 6:13:38 AM

why so disappointed? sheesh, the 5870 will play any game out there. Kinda like being disappointed cause the new Viper will only run 200 mph and not 210.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 6:27:48 AM

NVIDIA sort of have a tick tock cycle as well.

NV40 (tock)
G70 (tick)
G80 (tock)
G200 (tick)
G300 (tock?)

One would expect it to be a significant amount faster than G200 and earlier.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 6:55:23 AM

The only real reason to wait right now is to get past the low supply, high price gouging period. For example, if I pre-ordered a 5870 it would have cost me close to 600 AUD. Now it would cost me around 480-550 AUD, but there's no stock anywhere.
m
l
September 26, 2009 7:18:06 AM

AMD/ATI say on their website that the drivers for the ATI radeon HD5870, and HD5850 that driver support is scheduled for release in 2010. So therefore according to that information that GPU definately still has a chance of kicking out the Nvidia GTX295, but probably not until the Nvidia GT300 series are out themselves.

So here it is; if you are busting to upgrade your graphics processor and can't wait until DAAMMIT release their drivers, I say go for ATI's HD5870 or HD 5850, because it will get you playing today's games a lot better than your old 7900GS for now and should get better with new driver releases.

And if your comparing specifications the new Nvidia core design is supposed to have 600 stream processors, and the ATI core design has 1600, so if you believe that roumor, AND believe the more the merrier ATI would be your choice anyway.

Here's DAAMMIT website where they state when the Driver support will be released (down bottom in small print) http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

AND then there is the Intel Larrabee! :sarcastic: 

happy shopping,
Luke
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 8:20:27 AM

You can't compare the number of SPs between ATI and NVIDIA GPUs. Totally different architectures, totally different design approaches.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 8:46:07 AM

I think it comes down to what drivers will come for ATI and what Nvidia brings to the table, as far as performance goes.

In the end Nvidia will still be very costy and ATi very cheap.

I can't believe people are disappointed in the 5870 not beating the GTX295 in every single test. Do you not realize that performance doesn't jump through the roof every single release? You should like you though one of the fast cards ever released (295) was suddenly going to become the low-end card for $50. The fact a single GPU can beat it, or even come close is quiet something.

m
l
September 26, 2009 10:31:39 AM

darkvine said:
I can't believe people are disappointed in the 5870 not beating the GTX295 in every single test.

Indeed.

People are unhappy at nearly a doubling in performance.

Yet many of the same people would cream themselves if a CPU went 1.5x as quick as the previous gen.

Strange.
m
l
September 26, 2009 11:13:21 AM

The HD 5870 is competeting with the gtx285 (the fastest single card). It beats the gtx285 in every single test and even beats the gtx 295 in some tests.
LOWEST PRICE ON NEWEGG:
GTX285:: 320 LOWEST
HD5870:: 380 (but thats pre release so expect prices to fall up to 20 dollars in the first week)
GTX295:: 480 (buts that is while supply lasts on MSI N295, normal price is 520$)

Thats just facts up to now. Drivers are expected to improove a bit in the next few weeks and will probably bring the 5870 even closer to the GTX295 for more than 100 dollars less
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 12:31:48 PM

There is a rumour that a test card made of pure unobtainium has achieved some unbelievable framrates at never to be seen resolutions, honest guv.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 1:37:28 PM

'unobtanium' :D 
m
l
September 26, 2009 1:40:24 PM

Mousemonkey said:
There is a rumour that a test card made of pure unobtainium has achieved some unbelievable framrates at never to be seen resolutions, honest guv.

Actually its Ultrararium that was used
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 2:33:21 PM

100% pure wishalloy imo.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 3:34:32 PM

:sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  Waits for lower prices and job. :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  Dreams about 5850 :sleep:  :sleep:  But also thinks about 5770 :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  Wakes up and looks for job, not much work in town :sweat:  might get job next week. Gets impatient and buys 5870 :D 
m
l
September 26, 2009 3:56:51 PM

Homeboy2 said:
why so disappointed? sheesh, the 5870 will play any game out there. Kinda like being disappointed cause the new Viper will only run 200 mph and not 210.

Exactly how I feel, the 5870 is great and some people are DISAPPOINTED!? Besides it WILL pwn the GTX 295 in the coming months and that is not to mention DX11 performance. It is a double in performance, that is the most you can hope from any card. So if the G300 will be a double in performance we are only looking at a little over the 5870. Oh well.
m
l
September 26, 2009 4:05:20 PM

Also, the 5870 is a SINGLE card vs the 295... while they are similar in performance, I can tell by personal experience that the Quad SLI scaling will not keep up with 5870's in crossfire....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 4:25:54 PM

It doesn't we've already seen those benches and crossfire 5870 beats sli'd 295's in all of them.
m
l
September 26, 2009 4:30:56 PM

jennyh said:
It doesn't we've already seen those benches and crossfire 5870 beats sli'd 295's in all of them.

Yeah, like I said... personal experience :D !
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 5:11:26 PM

theholylancer said:
OKKKKKKKK, I feel underwhelmed by the 5870's performance against the 295, so the immediate purchase plan I had to replace this aging 7900GS is now out the window....

Like you plan when the GF8800 came out, then the GTX280?

Dude if you haven't upgraded now, then you're not the type of person to buy a new card anyways, especially since you have a weak 7900GS to begin with.

Seriously talk about overstating your case. :sarcastic: 

It's like someone saying, "I saw the new GTR and was planning on upgrading to it from my 2004 Toyota Yaris, but I don't like the Grill on it and they didn't have any at my local dealer on launch day, so I'm waiting for next year's EVO and see if I like it".

I bet that scenario plays out alot with you. :pt1cable: 

And if you don't like having little stock on launch date, you're gonna hate any G300 they launch this year, you won't see one in Canada if they can't get any to the US. :pfff: 
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 6:22:22 PM

cokenbeer said:
Also, the 5870 is a SINGLE card vs the 295... while they are similar in performance, I can tell by personal experience that the Quad SLI scaling will not keep up with 5870's in crossfire....

I am hoping the Lucid HYDRA puts a end to scaling crap with crossfire/SLI. If it works like they claim, hell if it works half as good then we should see a end to that.
m
l
September 26, 2009 6:26:34 PM

darkvine said:
I am hoping the Lucid HYDRA puts a end to scaling crap with crossfire/SLI. If it works like they claim, hell if it works half as good then we should see a end to that.

True....

IF it works...

I'm a great believer in the old adage - if its too good to be true... it probably isn't.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 7:07:03 PM

Amiga500 said:
True....

IF it works...

I'm a great believer in the old adage - if its too good to be true... it probably isn't.

Well a few places have gotten working boards in the past few months, and they do work with mixing Nvidia and ATI and different series cards, but we will have to wait and see on the performance side of things.

Hopefully it works at least as well as SLI/CF as far as scaling and performance because then it will change the upgrading game quiet a bit.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2009 11:15:44 PM

The problem with Lucid, is it's only in limited closed-door tests and in a handful of applications that are controlled demos.

In theory it should work on anything and easily, if it still only demos on a small handful of games (for the 100 series UT3, Crysis-DX9; 200 series Bioshock & Fear2) then it's far from ready for prime-time. They say 100 games out of the box with initial artifacting that they fied, but I'll believe it when I see the product ship in the 30 days mentioned and that there are no issues in those games, let alone any others.

It's great in theory but we need to see more. The PPU was great in theory, but fell a little short. And with lucid @ a premium to board vendors of $1.50 a pcie lane, it's pretty expensive with $72 being the add-on for a typical current chipset (let alone higher if they add a 60+ lane later), so it better deliver in the lifespan of the mobo.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2009 1:01:05 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
The problem with Lucid, is it's only in limited closed-door tests and in a handful of applications that are controlled demos.

In theory it should work on anything and easily, if it still only demos on a small handful of games (for the 100 series UT3, Crysis-DX9; 200 series Bioshock & Fear2) then it's far from ready for prime-time. They say 100 games out of the box with initial artifacting that they fied, but I'll believe it when I see the product ship in the 30 days mentioned and that there are no issues in those games, let alone any others.

It's great in theory but we need to see more. The PPU was great in theory, but fell a little short. And with lucid @ a premium to board vendors of $1.50 a pcie lane, it's pretty expensive with $72 being the add-on for a typical current chipset (let alone higher if they add a 60+ lane later), so it better deliver in the lifespan of the mobo.

It is expensive, but I think if it works vendors will not care, they can see the market this is aimed at. This works great for those on a budget, who want a new build (maybe core i5) and don't want to drop a ton of money on a new GPU or don't want to be tied to 1 company or the other for Crossfire/SLI in the future.

And for the high end I can see a ton of very happy people to think they can run our and get a 5879 and still run it with their 4870x2 in Hydra mode.

I guess, as with all things, only time will time but if it works, even half ass well (in the way a software update might fix later on) I myself might pick it up for a 2nd computer build later on.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 27, 2009 1:15:00 AM

I am my self am of interest of the 200 series.
m
l
September 27, 2009 2:56:20 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Like you plan when the GF8800 came out, then the GTX280?

Dude if you haven't upgraded now, then you're not the type of person to buy a new card anyways, especially since you have a weak 7900GS to begin with.

Seriously talk about overstating your case. :sarcastic: 

It's like someone saying, "I saw the new GTR and was planning on upgrading to it from my 2004 Toyota Yaris, but I don't like the Grill on it and they didn't have any at my local dealer on launch day, so I'm waiting for next year's EVO and see if I like it".

I bet that scenario plays out alot with you. :pt1cable: 

And if you don't like having little stock on launch date, you're gonna hate any G300 they launch this year, you won't see one in Canada if they can't get any to the US. :pfff: 

My replacement cycle is 5 years. and i had a 6800GT that died and was replaced for free by evga with the 7900GS, I allocate around 500-600 CAD for gfx each purchase
m
l
September 27, 2009 3:06:06 AM

You should upgrade twice as often with half the $$. It works better.
m
l
September 27, 2009 3:18:38 AM

way too lazy for that lol
m
l
September 27, 2009 4:03:49 AM

theholylancer said:
way too lazy for that lol

yeh, yanking the vid card and putting another one in really wears me out too. :sol: 
m
l
September 28, 2009 8:11:24 PM

Driver cleaning / Reinstall windows every time.....

DCing is easy, but if it needs a reinstall then its FUBAR

BTW I have no brand loyality, so I go from nvid to ati all the time and vice versa

EDIT had to add in the vice versa part b4 some rtard misunderstands it

m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2009 8:26:16 PM

Poor lancer, just buy a 5870 and forget about it heheh.
Just remember, nVidias been able to keep up with its x2 cards, and thats about all, so unless something changes here, it wont be that much better than the 5870, if at all, since the 5870 will catch the 295 with better drivers
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2009 10:23:24 PM

Ah, let him do the rational thing (wait). There isn't any huge rush as, in my opinion, there aren't really that many good games that require new supercards YET. Hopefully that will change in 6 months, but by then 380's will be out and 5870's will be cheaper. And who knows, maybe NVidia has an ace up their sleeve (or not, doesn't really matter to me. I'm eying a 5850 for about January).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2009 12:34:00 AM

Nice. Those were awfully polite posts :lol:  Sounds reasonable though, as the prevailing rumor was beginning of 2010.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2009 12:41:22 AM

It's true, there is no huge rush.

But also true is waiting on nvidia releasing the g300 doesnt make sense. Doing that would be the same as back in May, instead of buying a gtx275 wait for a 5870 instead. That was a while ago, if you bought a gtx275 you were probably quite happy about it, until the 5870 was released now you feel like you have a card that just doesn't measure up.

You can keep the same arguments about dx9 too. The point is, waiting on a mythological card being released before you splash out makes no sense.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2009 12:43:30 AM

I dont see how anybody can actually believe the g300 will be out before new years.

Computex 2009 was 4 months ago, that is when we first saw the 5890 in demos. Before then we had tons of rumour, and continuing rumours too.

The silence around g300 is deafening.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2009 12:50:32 AM

Yep, i agree that if you always wait for the next great tech, you will end up buying nothing. So, if one needs a new card (currently running into problems, too slow, etc.) then I think the 5870 is a fine choice and reasonable price too. However, if one already has a 4800 or 260/280, then reallythat person is set for current games and might as well wait for future games to materialize. That said, I certainly do dive for new tech on release day, though I admit to myself beforehand it is probably irrational. The only time I'd say it wasn't was the 4850 on release day. There were plenty on release, so they weren't overpriced, and they took a while for the prices to fall significantly.
m
l
!