I need rumors on GT300 please

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
OKKKKKKKK, I feel underwhelmed by the 5870's performance against the 295, so the immediate purchase plan I had to replace this aging 7900GS is now out the window....

So, I would like so information regarding the GT300s please, never mind the performance or other things, I just want to know if they are going to be fully DX11, and if they are going to hit the stores before COD err i mean MW2 or SCII, aka before mid-November or at the latest, before 2010.

Solution

Like you plan when the GF8800 came out, then the GTX280?

Dude if you haven't upgraded now, then you're not the type of person to buy a new card anyways, especially since you have a weak 7900GS to begin with.

Seriously talk about overstating your case. :sarcastic:

It's like someone saying, "I saw the new GTR and was planning on upgrading to it from my 2004 Toyota Yaris, but I don't like the Grill on it and they didn't have any at my local dealer on launch day, so I'm waiting for next year's EVO and see if I like it".

I bet that scenario plays out alot with...
With the limited rumors we have now, it is really hard to say. I think that link above represents extreme best case for them. That's not even counting TSMC problems, and we see how slow the 5800s are coming out despite being ready for a while. So, while it may be possible (and would be nice) I wouldn't get your hopes up until someone beyond Fudzilla says so.

redwine01

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
If they are very lucky maybe u will see those cards at december but else its in 2010. And yes it will fully support dx11 and have 40nm architechture for lower power consumption and lower heat. But the problem is yet we are not seeing any concrete specification or even some leak pictures of GT300. So i guess Nvidia still havent ready the cards and it will take a while for them to ready the cards they we will start seeing rumors specification and pictures. Nvidia is trying hard to get those leaked pictures and specification out in the market as soon as possible to make people hold or wait but its gonna take time. So yes there's a chance u may not see GT300 in this year. The 5x series from Ati is pretty much reasonably priced so u can grab one of those. U wont regret it as the price wont fall that much even after couple of months unless Nvidia do some real magic

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Rumour has it they are great and will comfortably beat the 5870...

Rumour has it they are crap, and will barely beat a 285, never mind a 5870...

Rumour has it they will be available, in volume, at the end of November...

Rumour has it they will be lucky to arrive in Q1 2010...

There are the rumours, take you pick! :)

Theres the 5870x2 coming in November as well.
I wouldnt completely give up on the 5870 as yet, as Im inclined to think there may be some decent driver improvements, due to ATIs rush out the door, the new MC,shaders etc. Given time, which ATI has, by the time G300 comes, the 5870 may be 5-10% better, or possibly more in some games

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Yeah, ATI/AMD's drivers are always absolutely terrible right off the bat. Even the 4800's were that way. They get better with time, so I'm expecting the 5800s to be pretty darned good.

And seriously, what's with the disappointment about the 5870 not beating the 295 all the time? From what I've read, it's right there with it, or slightly behind. Who cares? It's a single card keeping up with a dual-card solution. Pretty impressive, I think.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Well, the sad thing is that in canada, we had a shipment of around 20 to one store (seems the only store...) and it sold out the day before it was suppose to be "out", and there are around 25 pre-orders today when I called....

long story short, because of its lack of 295 pwnage, and its lack of insta-pickup-upgrade-ness, it's making me think before I buy, which is not good rofl

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
ATI currently have a big leap over Nvidia at this moment. in addition, Nvidia has yet release any sort of benchmark at all. so they claim that it is going to be "smooth." however in business economic theory. if nvidia has something up their sleeve, they would have show it right when ATI launch the 5870 to cool the market down.

i'm assume that Nvidia is in some dip *** position.
perhaps, it's gonna be delay, shortage, or performance isnt so great comparatively to ATI.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
AMD/ATI say on their website that the drivers for the ATI radeon HD5870, and HD5850 that driver support is scheduled for release in 2010. So therefore according to that information that GPU definately still has a chance of kicking out the Nvidia GTX295, but probably not until the Nvidia GT300 series are out themselves.

So here it is; if you are busting to upgrade your graphics processor and can't wait until DAAMMIT release their drivers, I say go for ATI's HD5870 or HD 5850, because it will get you playing today's games a lot better than your old 7900GS for now and should get better with new driver releases.

And if your comparing specifications the new Nvidia core design is supposed to have 600 stream processors, and the ATI core design has 1600, so if you believe that roumor, AND believe the more the merrier ATI would be your choice anyway.

Here's DAAMMIT website where they state when the Driver support will be released (down bottom in small print) http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5870/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5870-specifications.aspx

AND then there is the Intel Larrabee! :sarcastic:

happy shopping,
Luke

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I think it comes down to what drivers will come for ATI and what Nvidia brings to the table, as far as performance goes.

In the end Nvidia will still be very costy and ATi very cheap.

I can't believe people are disappointed in the 5870 not beating the GTX295 in every single test. Do you not realize that performance doesn't jump through the roof every single release? You should like you though one of the fast cards ever released (295) was suddenly going to become the low-end card for $50. The fact a single GPU can beat it, or even come close is quiet something.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Indeed.

People are unhappy at nearly a doubling in performance.

Yet many of the same people would cream themselves if a CPU went 1.5x as quick as the previous gen.

Strange.

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
The HD 5870 is competeting with the gtx285 (the fastest single card). It beats the gtx285 in every single test and even beats the gtx 295 in some tests.
LOWEST PRICE ON NEWEGG:
GTX285:: 320 LOWEST
HD5870:: 380 (but thats pre release so expect prices to fall up to 20 dollars in the first week)
GTX295:: 480 (buts that is while supply lasts on MSI N295, normal price is 520$)

Thats just facts up to now. Drivers are expected to improove a bit in the next few weeks and will probably bring the 5870 even closer to the GTX295 for more than 100 dollars less

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

Actually its Ultrararium that was used