Can you add a fan pin to a motherboard?

megahertz6970

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Soooo the "repair shop" hooked my chassis fan to the direct power of the computer, now it never goes off. The original motherboard had 2 fan spots, this new one that they installed does not. On the new Asus motherboard, right next to the cpu fan pin there is a spot that says "cha_fan" but no pin is there. Can one be added, and if so, how do I add it? The chassis fan is a 3-pin and the spot has 3 "metal squares" so it looks like it might be possible. I don't know what the little white piece is called with the 3 pins. Will it snap into place or would I need to solder it on? The cpu fan is also a 3-pin, but the new motherboard has a 4-pin spot for it. Consequently, both fans are constantly running now like they are plugged straight into a wall socket. I downloaded a free program, and the cpu fan is running at 4400 rpm. Will it burn up if it runs at this speed constantly? How do I get the right fan so that I can utilize the new Q-fan control that this motherboard says is available? Tried going into bios to set the Q-fan up, but it has no effect.

dylanwebb

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Don't need to worry about the fans burning out, and I would really discourage any soldering on your motherboard (haha tried that once when I was 12 and my dad was PISSED) because it will definetly void your warranty. If your "repair shop" didn't do a good job bring it back to them and tell them your issues, most compotent shops will take the few minutes to correct the problem for you.

Unless "repair shop" meant your friend in which case buy him a six-pack and tell him do his job :p

megahertz6970

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

It would take more than "a few minutes" to fix this problem. They installed an incompatible motherboard, bottom line. This one would have to come out and the "right" one installed in its place. They insist they did a wonderful job. I feel like I need ear protection to work at my computer... They claim the "right" one costs $250, I found it on Skyline for $129. They also claim it would take weeks to be ordered, Skyline said ships immediately. Even Best Buy fixed the other computer right... and these guys say they're a specialty shop??? I don't know what to do... I could bring it back, but he will try to tell me it will cost another $300 on top of the $300 I've already paid, and act like it's my fault... I am a woman, and I'm treated the same way at auto repair shops, looks like they're not the only ones who assume we're all dumb.

I've ordered a 4-pin fan from a different shop. It won't be in for a week, so I won't know if it works or not until then. I thank you for responding, but I still feel very ripped off and very angry at being lied to. I've disconnected the case fan, I can only take so much....