New Asus P5N-D Overheating & Crash Issuer

w1z8it

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I bought this board today from Komplett, got it home and installed it into the chassi, fitted a Q9550 (which was working perfectly idle around 38c in my old board), I installed all other components, booted the board and nothing, no display, so reading around I found some info so i tried clear the cmos and removed the battery for 10 mins, after which it booted fine, so i went straight into the bios started changing the time and date and it froze and became completely unresponsive and I had to do a hard reboot. I tried changing ram and video card thinking that was the problem, only when I had a quick chance to look in the hardware monitor did I see the cpu is running at 70c in the bios!! to which it crashed again... I'm assuming it's crashing because it's running at a ridiculously high temp idle in the bios? I tried reseating the CPU and fan multiple times but still the same issue it just crashes when it gets to 70c. I used Arctic Silver thermal paste and the CPU fan is fitted properly (all 4 screw clips clicked into place and the fan would not budge a milimetre), do you think the board is faulty? Can a faulty board cause CPU to overheat??

I have not overclocked, everything is running at stock speeds:

Other Specs:
nVidia 260GTX (not SLI waiting for the other card to arrive).
4GB Kingston RAM 800 (4x1GB)

I would start by removing the CPU. Then check to see if any thermal paste got into the pin holes. Next of course is to reseat the CPU, but before reinstalling the HSF, remove, as much as you can, the previously applied thermal paste. When reapplying thermal paste, remember you're not buttering bread here, so be sparse.
Place about a pea size amount in the center, and then spread it out as evenly as possible.

w1z8it

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
None of the thermal paste has gotten into the pin holes or on the underside of the CPU, I've reseated and reapplied the paste, on cold boot I go straight into the bios hardware monitor and already it's at 58c and rising fast, within 30 secs it's over 75c and everything is slow and sluggish when selecting different menus, I sat there and watched it rise to 90c in the bios, eventually it stops responding and crashes, any other ideas? It's not the CPU I retested it in another board.
Also when trying to load Windows cause freeze and then blue screen of death but it instantly reboots and I don't get to see what the error was.

w1z8it

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
So does anyone know if it sounds like the motherboard is faulty? It's not the CPU or the way it's been fitted as I've refitted it 4 times and I still get the same problem, the CPU works fine in another board idling at a stable 39c.

Dumb questions here, but is the heatsink getting ridiculously hot? The reason I ask is because if it isn't then the temp sensor may be faulty, and if it (the sensor) is then yes, you've got a bad board.

w1z8it

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Ummm Obviously it's getting hot else the bios wouldnt be reporting 80+c no? you're right, that is a dumb Q, regardless RMA the board it will be replaced next week, thanks for absolutely no support, took me talking to the supplier to confirm the board was faulty, 3 days and 2 dumb answers that were of no help whatsoever, I know where not to come for help the next time I have any kind of technical issues PC based, not here that's for sure.

Hej då.