Last response: in Overclocking
November 21, 2011 7:27:40 AM

i have a biostar ta790gxe
amd x4 970 3.5ghz
4x1 gb kinston hyperx ddr2 1066
hyper 212 evo with 2 fans
galaxy gtx580
corsair cx600 600watt
i was overclocking my cpu and got it up to 4.1 ran prime 95 for 20 minutes and no errors at 1.55 vcor and 1.45 ncor so i rebooted and tried 4.2 immediate errors.
so i went back to 4.1 and immediate errors. kept going down and went all the way to stock speeds and stock voltage and still get errors.
i doubt that my temps are to high as core temp says it never goes over 50. The weird thing is sometimes it will error sometimes it wont at different speeds and voltages.
memory is set to recomended 2.2v and timming set to 5-5-5-15
cpu is only 3 months old.
so could it be motherboard going out? cpu damaged? bad power supply? any advice
thanks
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2011 10:11:40 AM

Biostar mobos are not reknowned for being great OC'ers.

It could be that a voltage regulator has blown out on the mobo... How many are there on that board (4 from the looks of things)? If you have less than 6 you are probably not going to hit a high OC.

The first advice to anyone that wants to overclock.... DON'T BUY A CHEAP MOTHERBOARD.

CPU's are pretty tough (so long as you don't let them cook), Motherboards blow capacitors and other bits and pieces. They are the most complex component overall IMHO (one could argue its the CPU itself), as you are integrating hundreds of analogue and digital components and trying to route thousands of traces on a macro scale.

Basically, don't be suprised if it is the MOBO. may not be, but probably is...There is a reason to pay for that more expensive mobo that looks identical to the cheaper one...
Score
November 21, 2011 5:21:40 PM

americanbrian said:
Biostar mobos are not reknowned for being great OC'ers.

It could be that a voltage regulator has blown out on the mobo... How many are there on that board (4 from the looks of things)? If you have less than 6 you are probably not going to hit a high OC.

The first advice to anyone that wants to overclock.... DON'T BUY A CHEAP MOTHERBOARD.

CPU's are pretty tough (so long as you don't let them cook), Motherboards blow capacitors and other bits and pieces. They are the most complex component overall IMHO (one could argue its the CPU itself), as you are integrating hundreds of analogue and digital components and trying to route thousands of traces on a macro scale.

Basically, don't be suprised if it is the MOBO. may not be, but probably is...There is a reason to pay for that more expensive mobo that looks identical to the cheaper one...

its got 4+1 phase might be split phased though from the look of things. any suggestions on how to determine which one it is? other than rma each component one by one?
one day it kept turning on and shutting off and then not starting up but i took the graphics card out and started it up and shut it down then put it back in been working fine ever since just getting errors if that helps.
allso it seems to get errors on prime 95 after i play battlefield 3 and not restarting. if things cool off and i restart i dont get the errors. maybe graphics card causing this? or the heat from the gtx560?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

November 21, 2011 5:38:41 PM

Dude you might wanna see if your ram went bad. run memtest and see if it runs errors
November 21, 2011 5:50:15 PM

dickcruz said:
Dude you might wanna see if your ram went bad. run memtest and see if it runs errors

wow, never thought of that. is inconsistent benchmarks a sign of memory going bad? memory is only a year old been running at 2.25v too high?
will run memtest when i get home today.
Score
November 21, 2011 6:59:06 PM

2.25 is kinda high if you dont have bigger heatsinks. run a memtest or superpi32 and see if you get errors
Score
November 24, 2011 5:04:48 PM

dickcruz said:

so ran memtest and got errors. determined that my memory can only run 800 vs ratted 1066 at cas 5-5-5-17-24 vs ratted 5-5-5-15-15.
does that mean my ram is bad? should i bother with rma? i can now overclock to 4.2 stable at 1.55 vcor and memtest now passes.
from what i have heard ram speed really doesn't make much of a noticeable difference. im planning on building a new rig when ivy bridge comes out anyways so should i even bother if its stable now.
its Kingston hyperx with lifetime warranty so i guess i could rma it after my new build or will i get the same problems from Kingston?
Score
December 3, 2011 7:22:09 PM

Best answer selected by Shazamo1213.
Score
!