My power supply:

DC output: 300w
Output: +12V ---/19A MAX
- -----/O.8A MAX

COMBINED POWER ON +12V and +5V RAILS NOT EXCEED 268w MAX
CONTINOUSE TOTAL DC OUTPUT POWER SHALL NOT EXCEED 300w MAX

My question is, will it run this:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0320832

Power Supply Requirements 300 Watt Power Supply (with 18A on the +12V Rail)

Does it actually take 300w to power it?(as in without the processor, etc) The max on the +12v Rail is 268w

I'm sure the quadcore, hd, etc take quite a bit of power, plus the graphics card would exceed the 300w Max wouldn't it?

Solution

It requires only that you have 18A, and your supply is rated at 19A so yes, officially it should work. I've also typically found those estimates to be a little conservative. That said 300W isn't much for a PSU these days, especially if its been running a long time, replacing it probably isn't a bad idea if you can afford it.

*edit* by the way, its not as simple as the quadcore using a lot of power, it depends alot on the manufacturing process...

Those PSU requirements are for the complete system. But depending on the quality of the PSU, it may or may not power the computer. It will be pretty close.

One of three things will happen:
It will work. :bounce:
It will not work. :(
It will fail catastrophically. :pfff:

I would get one of these:
Corsair 400CX:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681713900
I think it is one of the best sub-450 watt PSU's around.

kiren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

It requires only that you have 18A, and your supply is rated at 19A so yes, officially it should work. I've also typically found those estimates to be a little conservative. That said 300W isn't much for a PSU these days, especially if its been running a long time, replacing it probably isn't a bad idea if you can afford it.

*edit* by the way, its not as simple as the quadcore using a lot of power, it depends alot on the manufacturing process and architecture, your quad consumes less than my older dual 6400+ Cheers!

Solution