Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Specs:

Mobo: Asus P7P55D
CPU: i5 750
4 GB Ram

Main HDD is a 1TB SATA drive
have an IDE CD/DVD Drive. As far as I can tell it's the:
LG GSA H55N Super-Multi - Disk drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - 20x/20x/12x - IDE - internal - 5.25"

So my problem is, that long ago I installed 32-bit Windows 7 on my machine, which is actually a 64-bit machine. I did it out of convenience at the time since I got the trial disc that was 32-bit before Windows 7 officially launched. So now that I actually want to completely reformat, I'm moving up to 64-bit windows. When I go into the BIOS and set the boot priority to the CD/DVD drive first (Even if I make it the only boot device) and throw in the DVD, nothing happens. This isn't just with the 64-bit disc either. I tried using the 32-bit disc with windows started up, and it works fine, but if I try booting from it, nothing happens. I don't even receive any message such as unable to boot from this media, it just acts as if it's not even there. When I make the CD/DVD drive the only boot device, it asks me to insert a boot media and press any key, and no matter if I press a key, or remove and re-insert the disc, it still doesn't recognize it. I even tried an old Windows XP disc. To specify, and hopefully this isn't the problem, but I'm using the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade version. However I had the Windows 7 trial before getting the upgrade version, and was able to move over to full Windows 7 32-bit when Windows 7 officially dropped. Shouldn't I be able to upgrade to 64-bit through these discs?

I've already tried to find help on CNET to no avail, so hopefully someone can supply me with a solution. I thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Any information that I didn't supply that you need, just ask and I will tell you what I can. Thank-you!

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
If you are using a win 7 OEM upgrade disc you will have to have a previous version of Vista or XP installed first and do a clean install and not the upgrade. I would reformat the HDD and install Vista or XP and then install win 7.

fredsnicker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011

That's what I figured. However how will I be able to reformat and install XP (I've got a copy of XP) if it won't recognize ANY CD or DVD I try to boot from? How can I reformat without booting from an OS disc and how can I install XP then?

fredsnicker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011

I just tried another drive and got the same result. I'm going to try some other things, but as a note, when I try to go into XP setup inside of windows, the setup window has the "Install Windows XP" option locked.

xp.jpg

What is there that I can possibly do?

shadow1942

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
i have a similar issue trying to get an xp machine to upgrade to win 7 64bit, it won't recognise the disc at all even if I open it in explorer it just won't show any files on the disc.

I'm currently waiting on a guy to get back to me about it as he said as long as I have 2 PC's he can get it done. If you'd like I can advise if this process works as it may help you. I won't be doing it for a week or so though.

I'll check back in this thread and if you want the info just reply with a yes and I'll get back to you if it works.

I tried everything, changed bios as you did, did a slow burn of windows disc (supposedly some OEM discs are corrupted) bought another DVD drive, copied files onto usb then copied to xp machine but setup won't run. so I'm hoping this guy can help.