Sign in with
Your question

!!HELP!! New Buget System Build

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2009 4:41:00 AM

Hi i am trying to scrape up some parts to build a new system. So far i have purchased a few parts and had some parts left over from my last build.

Current Parts:

CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (I got a killer deal $65! :p )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG630-2 630W

Hard Drive: Normal ATA 80gb Western Digital
To old to find the specs on newegg.

I already have Razer USB keyboard, Razer USB mouse, Speaker set, DVD Burner, and 26in ASUSLCD (res: 1920 x 1200)

Parts Needed:

A good quality Mobo that has Overclocking potential.. ive been looking at the ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

A fast intel Quad Core Processor (hopefully under $200)

A fast GPU hopefully a new nVidia 200 series card (under $200)

and some fast compatible memory that goes with the Mobo

I am trying to use Newegg to purchase all my parts because i am very pleased with their customer support.

If you guys have any suggestions or comments i would be happy to hear them :) 

Thanks so much

More about : buget system build

September 8, 2009 6:04:29 AM

Try the new i5.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=I5-750BOX Combo Price: $314.99 $15 off with P55 combo purchase w/ code OMGi5COMBO $299.99 Free Shipping
Part#:MB-P55M-D2 | GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 Socket 1156/ Intel P55/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ MATX Motherboard
Part#:I5-750BOX | Intel Core i5 Processor i5-750 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1156 CPU, Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $79.99 Free Shipping*
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail
Dual Channel Intel Core i5 & Core i7 CPU for P55 motherboard

September 8, 2009 4:49:50 PM

Well either the i5 or the i7 seems to be a little bit out of my price range and i want to stick with the 775 socket type, but thanks for the suggestion.
Related resources
September 8, 2009 5:02:18 PM

Why in the world would you want to "stick with" a dead end product with no upgrade path? You said you were willing to spend up to $200 on your CPU. The i5 750 is priced in that price range and the motherboards are also reasonably priced. The i5 is an excellent choice now. I would read some of the reviews before making a bad decision.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/17545

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=363...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410....

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-87...
September 8, 2009 5:11:36 PM

The i5 is down in the Phenom IIx4 price range now. I dont know what AMD is going to be able to sell with the i5 giving better performance at that price point.

Look for a GTX260 or ATI 4870 or 4890 GPU to add to the i5 cpu/motherboard/RAM that why_me suggested and you will have a great gaming system.
September 8, 2009 5:18:47 PM

Knowing what your exact budget is would help.
September 8, 2009 5:49:48 PM

Well im looking at around
$200 for the proc
$100-150 for the Mobo
$100-150 for the Vid Card
September 8, 2009 6:00:49 PM

IMO the mobo/cpu combo why_me listed and a 4870 GPU would be the best price/performance and is at the top of your price range.

In 2 days both ati and nvidia have press conferences regarding their new DX11 graphics cards so GPU prices may drop later this week. (ATI is supposed to ship theirs within a week).
September 8, 2009 6:04:04 PM

Hey you do have a good point. I read over all those links that u posted and like the idea, BUT i dont want to dish out $100+ on some fast DDR3 Memory yet.
September 8, 2009 6:05:51 PM

DNDHATCHER, thanks for that little bit of info i will wait a week or two and see if there is a drop in prices. Hopefully there will be :) 

September 8, 2009 6:33:56 PM

I'm not sure why you're under the impression that DDR3 RAM is so expensive. The RAM Why_Me linked above is $80. DDR2 prices are on the rise since they will be phased out. DDR3 is the new standard and gives a better upgrade path. Core 2 and DDR2 had a good run, but technology has moved on.
September 8, 2009 6:36:53 PM

psyco_kitty said:
Hey you do have a good point. I read over all those links that u posted and like the idea, BUT i dont want to dish out $100+ on some fast DDR3 Memory yet.

psyco_kitty said:
Well im looking at around
$200 for the proc
$100-150 for the Mobo
$100-150 for the Vid Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$15.00 Combo Price: $219.98 Free Shipping*
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail
Dual Channel Intel Core i5 & Core i7 CPU for P55 motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100279-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=I5-750BOX Combo Price: $314.99 $15 off with P55 combo purchase w/ code OMGi5COMBO $299.99 Free Shipping
Part#:MB-P55M-D2 | GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 Socket 1156/ Intel P55/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ MATX Motherboard
Part#:I5-750BOX | Intel Core i5 Processor i5-750 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1156 CPU, Retail
September 8, 2009 6:38:30 PM

Hmm.. yeah i guess so now i looked at some performance charts and i think now I'm set on buying the new i5... but im not sure on what mobo to purchase. I wanted to buy an ASUS board but i haven't fount a single one with the right socket type.
September 8, 2009 7:00:53 PM

Thanks.. do you know of a good i5 compatible board that has good overclocking potential?

Nope i just like ASUS because i already have a few products by them and i haven't had a single problem yet.
September 8, 2009 7:12:59 PM

I can partially understand your thinking. Asus makes great motherboards, but so does Gigabyte. Limiting yourself to a single manufacturer just limits your possibilities for no good reason.

I would pick one of these motherboards for overclocking. The cheaper models don't have extra cooling on the mosfets.

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $139.99

ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 Intel Motherboard - Retail $149.99

You can get a good combo with the i5 CPU and Gigabyte board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
September 8, 2009 7:43:02 PM

Oh i like that combo!... and do you think that the i5 750 has decent overclocking potential?
September 8, 2009 8:12:10 PM

Wow! that is pretty phenomenal to squeeze that much performance out of a $200 processor, but there was one question... in the first link that you posted the person claims that the overclocked it to 4.2 ghz easily, with stock cooling. I would think that the proc would overheat with stock cooling.

Do you think i should purchase aftermarket cooling?
September 8, 2009 8:15:40 PM

psyco_kitty said:
Wow! that is pretty phenomenal to squeeze that much performance out of a $200 processor, but there was one question... in the first link that you posted the person claims that the overclocked it to 4.2 ghz easily, with stock cooling. I would think that the proc would overheat with stock cooling.

Do you think i should purchase aftermarket cooling?

Myself I always use a after market heat sink and thermal paste. Stock coolers are usually junk imo... same with the thermal paste the stock ones come with.
September 8, 2009 8:48:35 PM

Okay so i think I'm going to go with the hyper 212. I like the price, and as long as it can deliver adequate cooling at overclocked heating levels its good to go. Plus coolmaster is a good manufacturer.

Thanks for your input.
September 8, 2009 9:54:43 PM

The Hyper 212 is on frosty's top 10 intel cooler list so it should about as good as you can get with air cooling.
September 9, 2009 12:45:17 AM

Why_Me said:
Myself I always use a after market heat sink and thermal paste. Stock coolers are usually junk imo... same with the thermal paste the stock ones come with.

Bullshit. Nothing wrong with stock HSF. Especially for a mild to moderate overclock.
September 9, 2009 12:52:55 AM

AMDThunder said:
Bullshit. Nothing wrong with stock HSF. Especially for a mild to moderate overclock.

You go ahead and stick with your stock cooler there "AMDThunder", for a few dollars more I like to keep my temps as low as possible ....and when did the OP say anything about a mild o/c ?
September 9, 2009 12:57:44 AM

yeah....what about 3.8ghz? he'll want more than stock, or the temps will go 75C+ easy
September 9, 2009 1:25:30 AM

Why is there arguing over $30 to get a cooler that should safely let you jump from 2.66GHz to over 4GHz on an i5? Stock is safe if you are only going to overclock a PhenomII a few hundred Hz but why risk damage to your CPU and Motheboard and why not get that 50% increase for such a small price.
September 9, 2009 1:29:09 AM

He didn't. You said stock coolers are usually junk. I called bullshit. Its misinformation at best. I never said an after market HSF shouldn't be used or considered, or that they were never needed.

Now where exactly did the OP say he wanted to hit 3.8?
September 9, 2009 4:23:01 AM

psyco_kitty said:
Well i might as well dish out $30 for a nice cooler that will be more quiet than a stock cooler.

The OC i am going to try and achieve is 4.8 Ghz... according to this link it is possible

(http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-750-core-i7-860-8...)

I would take it in small steps (o/c) that is. 3.4 - 3.8 is an excellent o/c so don't despair if you don't get to 4.8 especially seeing how guru only got it stable to 4.1 and another site maxed out at 3.8. Anything over 3.2 on that cpu is still giving you a bargain and then some.
September 9, 2009 4:29:09 AM

Why_Me said:
I would take it in small steps (o/c) that is. 3.4 - 3.8 is an excellent o/c so don't despair if you don't get to 4.8 especially seeing how guru only got it stable to 4.1 and another site maxed out at 3.8. Anything over 3.2 on that cpu is still giving you a bargain and then some.

Oh alright i don't necessarily need a massive overclock. I just wanted the most bang for my buck :) 
September 9, 2009 4:46:16 AM

@AMDthunder:
funny how he wants to get to 4.8ghz, and u want a stock cooler....i thought that was funny..... and anyone who wants to OC the new CPUs should probably go with an aftermarket one, unless they want only an extra 400mhz....

@psyco_kitty:
4.8ghz is pretty extreme.....id go with 3.4ghz, get it stable and then go for 3.8ghz max....unless u want to go ~4.2ghz just for some benchmarks, or bragging rights :p 
listen to Why_Me...he knows what he's talking about
September 9, 2009 4:49:40 AM

psyco_kitty said:
Well i might as well dish out $30 for a nice cooler that will be more quiet than a stock cooler.

The OC i am going to try and achieve is 4.8 Ghz... according to this link it is possible

(http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-750-core-i7-860-8...)

I think you mean 3.8
The result was an overclock the processor to 3.8 GHz on the Thermalright MUX 120 air cooler. Here's what we did: said:
The result was an overclock the processor to 3.8 GHz on the Thermalright MUX 120 air cooler. Here's what we did:
September 9, 2009 5:11:48 AM

micky_lund said:
@AMDthunder:
funny how he wants to get to 4.8ghz, and u want a stock cooler....i thought that was funny..... and anyone who wants to OC the new CPUs should probably go with an aftermarket one, unless they want only an extra 400mhz....

I never said he should use a f***ing stock cooler. I was replying to what Why_me said in his post. Thank you for failing at reading and comprehension.
September 9, 2009 5:15:51 AM

ahhhhh.... reading.....i was just reading what u wrote here:
[b said:
AMDThunder wrote:
Bullsh*t. Nothing wrong with stock HSF. Especially for a mild to moderate overclock. ]AMDThunder wrote:
Bullsh*t. Nothing wrong with stock HSF. Especially for a mild to moderate overclock.
[/b]

i supplied in case u were too old and have Alzheimer's as well..... obviously ur previous message is not saying he should use a stock cooler....
u should also note that ur grade 1 comprehension is surpassed by my grade 12 levels.....
anyway, ill leave that for the general public to decide....
September 9, 2009 5:19:23 AM

dndhatcher said:
I think you mean 3.8

Well i want to see what it can do for a 1 time deal then ill push it down to 3.8 :) 
September 9, 2009 5:43:20 AM

micky_lund said:
ahhhhh.... reading.....i was just reading what u wrote here:

i supplied in case u were too old and have Alzheimer's as well..... obviously ur previous message is not saying he should use a stock cooler....
u should also note that ur grade 1 comprehension is surpassed by my grade 12 levels.....
anyway, ill leave that for the general public to decide....

No, it doesn't. It said a mild to moderate OC is doable with a stock HSF. Nothing more, nothing less. Again, you fail. Maybe English isn't your first language? Judging by your typing skills, I'm going to guess not.
September 9, 2009 5:53:05 AM

True. English isn't my first language. I live in Australia.
And my typing isn't that bad. I use full stops (lots of em), the occasional comma (like back there <---------) and capitAls sometimes....

@psyco_kitty
Get an after market cooler. It'll help your 3.8ghz OC
September 9, 2009 1:46:06 PM

Australians don't speak English?
September 9, 2009 2:04:56 PM

Just calm down. Would you please?!!
I'm talking to "AMD Thunder" and "micky_lund" It's just a cooler, Noo! Wait a minute it's not even a cooler nor anything physically existing! It's just some words So ... .

PEACE PEACE!! ... .

EDIT: Oh, And as i remember this thread is for a new system purchase ...
September 10, 2009 8:48:15 AM

sorry Psycho Sykes..... hes kinda aggro...... but u should get a cooler if ur going to OC

@AMDThunder:
we can argue elsewhere.....and yes, Australian's don't speak English....we speak Australian....
September 10, 2009 2:07:20 PM

No need to argue anything. I never said the OP shouldn't get a cooler, but rather that he didn't HAVE to for a mild to moderate OC. I had taken an exception to Why_Me's opinion that stock coolers are junk. It simply isn't true. That's the point I was making.
September 10, 2009 5:55:57 PM

You both have points.
And I didn't say I'm at "AMD Thunder"`s side neither at yours, I simply said that it's not a big deal to argue about something like that as each one of you has a separate opinion and it's whatever happened in the hand of "Thread Starter".

So I'm with "AMD Thunder" that he MAY NOT NEED a cooler for low-end OC'ing and if the environment is suitable he may not need it ever.
AND I'm with "micky_lund" That he'll need a cooler if he's going to OC to 3.8 as he said while "AMD Thunder" offered his opinion BEFORE he said the ratio he will be shooting to (The Thread starter).

So I don't mean to rude or anything but here you go...

Best Regards.
!