Driver has stopped responding but has recovered

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
yes. This error....

Display driver 190.62 has stopped responding but has succesfully recovered.

VERY annoying. Only happens when playing far cry 2 (but have not tried many games yet) , and only since I just installed win7 RTM. Also had this problem with Release candidates.

By the way, it seems to stop happening when I switch to DX9 mode, but thats a waste. Ive still had crashes with other DX9 games though

Any help???

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
After a while (estimate 20 minutes) So far it has happenned mostly with DX10 games, but DX9 games are slowly getting affected too, (5 hours before crash)

Times are getting shorter, sometimes longer, its quite random actually. Sometimes I can play for hours without a problem, whilst other times i cannot even play for more than a minute.

I took off my Overclock to my CPU But it hasn't made a difference

Could it be my CPU temp, or GPU:
(no overclock, running at stock speeds)
Idle CPU: 40ish
Idle GPU: 46ish

LoadCPU: 72ish
LoadGPU: 79ish

Room Temperature is 28 ( live in middle east)

190.62 is the newest driver yes, but iv'e tried a quite a few others with no luck...

ridic23

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Welcome to the club....am having the same trouble.....if u found a cure let me know....turning off aero reduces the problem a bit....try it...

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
ive got no dust, just put a bigger cooler on, (i was already worried with stock cooler), and I have a 25cm fan on the side of my case...... The only thing that is going to cool it better is liquid, but i think that's a little extreme for a dual core.... My old temps were around 83 with old stock, no OC, and same with OC but with the bigger cooler.

Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103031

do i need better?......

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

I've got a cooler master 520 watt PSU. I think thats more than good enough

You would think so. When it's under load maybe not. The video card is failing under load. Bad card or PSU.

EDIT: The driver has stopped responding because of hardware failure.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
yes, but I just don't get it:
CPU: 65 watts
GPU: 144 watts (a lot)
HDD: 20 watts (max)
X-fi, Wifi, Ram, etc: 3x 20watts: 60
Mobo: 60 watts, from what i hear.

Total: 349 watts, (stressed at it's maximum potential)
The reserve 171 watts seems plenty, especially presuming I had my system OC'ed (CPU) and it was running entirely stable under windows XP, Why would it consume more power using win7, and why would the card start crashing under win7, whilst it ran fine in winXP? EDIT: I have removed the OC as soon as I installed win7, so since im using win7 I have not had my system on an overclock, so it should be using less power than winXP

It's just so confusing.

Could it be the following:

Because win7 supports CUDA, and I was suffering a bottleneck in winXP before, that win7 using CUDA is using fragments of the graphics card that were not used before, which are unstable, cause the crashes? That these unstable fragments were avoided by windows xp, which would actually explain why XP ran fine.

Is there a way to turn CUDA off, or is it never even on by default?

It's just a theory, but it might be something...