Question about the way i installed my 9400 GT

solidpro9

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
well for some of u know i made a thread of it overheating. i want to know if the way i installed it was the correct way.

ok i took the card i had gloves on poped it in the pciE slot. but there was this one wire in the 9400 GT package box. i think you would connect it to the side of the card it has a little white slot. ill take a picture later if u guys want. idk wat it is for. i didnt put the wire on the card.

so is what all i needed to do was pop the card in my pci slot or do something else? p.s its a small black wire with to links on each end. does the 9400GT need a 6pin power connector? thats wat it said in installing hardware section in my PNY manual

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Or it's this sound thingy cable...SPDIF or smth. A 9800 has one, does a 9400? Not sure, but that's some very specific thin 99% ppl don't need. I had mine installed but removed it again, just clutter. And - it the manual says it needs a 6pin power connector it probably does - the card shouldn't even function without it, actually. If it has the connector socket, plug it, pretty simple.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

The 9400GT DOES NOT need a PCI-E power connector, it's only there in the manual because the manufacturer was too lazy/cheap to print a separate manual for the 9400GT, so they just recycled one from a more powerful card.

Here's a picture of a 9400GT with a fan cable plugged into the white slot on the card: http://www.zipinformatica.com/tienda/images/ecs_9400GT.jpg