CORSAIR TX 650W
2 x 2GB DDR2 800mhz
WINDOWS XP SP3
2 OLD 250 GB HARDDRIVERS
NVIDIA GEOFORCE GTX 260
ASUS P5Q-E MOTHERBOARD
COOLER MASTER FULLTOWER HIGH AIR FLOW 932
Usb mouse and keyboard

Everything works fine until i try to play any game, after a random time in a game the computer will lockup with a soundloop playing. On the screen during the lockup there is either a completely white screen or lots of differently colors in a rectangular pattern or whatever showed before the lockup is stuck on the screen.
The only way out of the lockup is to reboot the computer.

This have happened in several games but seems to occur most frequently in world of warcraft.
I have tried with and older graphic card (Geoforce 9400gt) but i still get same errors.

Ive tried with several different drivers for the graphic cards with no change.
Bios, chipset drivers, sound drivers all updated.

Ive run memory tests, cpu stress testing and different stress tests for the graphic cards without any errors.
What bothers me the most is that i cant seem to duplicate this error outside of a game and since its a hard lockup it doesnt give me any error message to go on.

Would be helpful for any advice on what could be wrong (sorry for the somewhat bad english)

saedoc

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009

Oh forgot to mention i did check all temperatures durin full load and from what i can see nothing is overheating.

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
check your RAM, memtest86+ is a good program to use. Also, try dropping down to 1 2GB DIMM, testing each by itself. If there's no improvement, and memtest86+ doesn't show any errors, you don't have a RAM problem.

saedoc

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
I have run memtest86 for a good 6 hours without any errors but will try with just one stick of ram aswell.

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Make sure you try some games with just 1 stick. When I was working on a system with similar problems, it was related to the implementation of dual channel memory on the board. Found the problem by testing 1 stick at a time, since the games would not crash with just 1 stick. Even could run games with both sticks as long as they were on separate channels

saedoc

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Yeah i thought id check up some more on my memory and its KVR800D2N5/2G Kingstong memory, now when i looked that up it sais its not for dual channel memory.
Yet i run it atm as dual channel with 1 stick in each channel.

I have this feeling thats not to good....

saedoc

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Running with one memory stick worked fine for a few days but now it started crashing again randomly just like before. It seems abit less frequent now though.

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
It also is probably related to your RAM timings not being up to par for your ASUS board, I don't remember the details on why this happens, but higher density DIMMs on motherboards need to have their timings and voltages configured a little differently. You could try tweaking these settings yourself as the board allows, or switch them out for higher quality RAM. In your board manual, there should be an approved vendor list for various RAM modules, I'd select one off that list.

saedoc

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Well considering the problem went away completely when i switched to just one ram stick i guess its related to ram anyway. I ordered some new ram that should be compatible with the motherboard, hopefully that will help.

saedoc

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Actually crashed once with just one ram stick aswell, and now i got the new ram (CORSAIR 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC8500 1066MHZ CL5) and ive set the timings voltages according to what the memory wants and i still get random crashes.

saedoc

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Most of the crashes i had is when playin wow but it also crashed twice in crysis.
Have updated all drivers already but thanks for the tip :)

Think i need to test some more games with the new memory to notice if its just in online games now or if its all games that crash though but wow still makes me randomly crash just like always.

saedoc

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Well graphic card started makin highpitched noices now so getting it replaced, hopefully it was the graphic card after all.

mighttuss

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I have a Geforce 6600 I play WOW as well.I have installed Graphic card drivers to play WOW and found some newer driver do not help the product out.And have to turn around and install old driver to get it to work right again.