Sign in with
Your question

H100 Problem

Last response: in Overclocking
November 21, 2011 8:54:11 PM

Hello guys,

Against my better judgement, after reading a nice review of several members of a forum about how "good" and easy it is to install it, I just said "Let's try it".
Okay so, The store that I bought it from has a 29 days return policy, no questions asked.I could return it right now, but I really want to see if you guys can come up with some solutions cause with NO FANS working, it keeps my CPU at 32*C idle.My old Noctua NH-D14 did 38*C on idle, so yeah.

After having to remove the motherboard(yes I have back-panel cut but one of the screws wasn't "uncovered" by the cut so I had to..) I took out the Noctua back-plate(kinda identical, I just did it so no problems will come up(lol).I then mounted the radiator on the top, fitted almost like it was ment for HAF-X, the 2 fans same.Just perfect, then I proceeded to mounting the CPU block to the..CPU(duh) and it all went perfect, it was looking(still) so neat and clean.(Not to mention small compared to the Noctua).I then connected the 2 fans to the CPU-Block and the CPU Block fan-like thing in the CPU_FAN slot and then the 4 pin (big thing) into a 4 pin thing.(I tested the line with a single fan, it has power)

I booted my system for the first time with this cooling, the profile leds lid up, water started moving around(could slightly hear it) but 5 seconds later the PC failed to boot(I forgot to plug the video card to the PSU), plugged the video card and then proceeded to booting again, but this time no leds lid up, nor did any water sounds nor did any fans started.After 25 seconds I was worried, So I though, let's check the temps it was very nice even with no fans running, so now.

What's this? Should I return it and get another one? Did I miss-uninstall it?

More about : h100 problem

a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 21, 2011 9:02:07 PM

This might just be me, but doesn't the pump get plugged into the CPU_FAN header and the fan leads should go elsewhere (like case fan leads?) I've never setup a LCS cooler, but it sounds like your fans are connect incorrectly. What do the install directions say? Do they not provide information on where/how to plug the pump and fan leads into?
November 21, 2011 10:18:48 PM

AlExAlExAlEx said:
Hello guys,

Against my better judgement, after reading a nice review of several members of a forum about how "good" and easy it is to install it, I just said "Let's try it".
Okay so, The store that I bought it from has a 29 days return policy, no questions asked.I could return it right now, but I really want to see if you guys can come up with some solutions cause with NO FANS working, it keeps my CPU at 32*C idle.My old Noctua NH-D14 did 38*C on idle, so yeah.

What's this? Should I return it and get another one? Did I miss-uninstall it?

I should return my whole watercooling loop including the 1080 rad and get an H100, My idle temps aren't much better than 32. :cry: 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2011 10:33:08 PM

What happens if you don't plug anything into the headers on the waterblock? It should run without fans plugged in, just try connecting them straight to your motherboard, as others suggested.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2011 11:49:49 PM

Sounds like you've got it set up right. The fans plug into the pump unit itself, while the leads from the pump unit plug into a molex connection and the 4-pin CPU connector on the motherboard. Also, don't run it without any fans. You may sit at 32'C temporarily, but eventually the coolant will warm the metal on the radiator and them temps will just steadily climb. See the following link for any further questions.

http://www.corsair.com/blog/installing-the-hydro-series...

As for it not working that's quite odd. Have you tried a different molex (PSU) lead? Are all connections tight? Does the system boot if you unplug the 4-pin CPU connection? Even when not booting can you hear water circulating when you power on?

November 22, 2011 1:26:41 PM

87ninefiveone said:
Sounds like you've got it set up right. The fans plug into the pump unit itself, while the leads from the pump unit plug into a molex connection and the 4-pin CPU connector on the motherboard. Also, don't run it without any fans. You may sit at 32'C temporarily, but eventually the coolant will warm the metal on the radiator and them temps will just steadily climb. See the following link for any further questions.

http://www.corsair.com/blog/installing-the-hydro-series...

As for it not working that's quite odd. Have you tried a different molex (PSU) lead? Are all connections tight? Does the system boot if you unplug the 4-pin CPU connection? Even when not booting can you hear water circulating when you power on?

I don't get something, I've been running the H100 for 24 hours(almost) with it's fans not spinning, no water moving sound and still my CPU temperature is 32*C.
At this point I'm thinking the MOBO is nuts.Can the fact that the cpu-block is not running give out false temperatures?

I took a new cable from the psu thingie(its modular) and connected it myself, I tried powering a fan with it(via convertor) and it worked fine.All the connections are as tight as it goes.I did not try to see if it boots without it.I can not hear water, never.(Only on those first 5 seconds)

But something else is bothering me.
It has 2 thingies that I need to connect.I do not know the standard definitions.
It has 1 smallish thing like all fans have, that you normally plug in SYS_FAN, I plugged that one in CPU_FAN.
I have one bigger thing that is SUPPOSED to have 4 metal round things inside, this one only has 2 on the right side, is that normal?!
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 22, 2011 1:35:46 PM

Can you post pics of these 'thingies'?
November 22, 2011 1:48:07 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Can you post pics of these 'thingies'?

I just got a reply on another forum.
"well, I just checked it on my H100's Molex (the big plug with only 2 round thingies) and it only has 2 plugs. From what you're describing though it sounds like you may have had a defective unit."
And the other one is the stock connector for ANY fan.That I connected in the CPU_FAN.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 22, 2011 1:53:34 PM

Not necessarily, sometimes molex plugs only have 2 wires depending on the type of power needed. So, that user is likely correct that your molex is fine. I'm thinking you have a BIOS setting that needs to be adjusted- if you are using the CPU_FAN header, it may or may not be registering the pump header as the CPU fan and shutting down. If you attach the actual CPU fan header and connect the H100 pump line to another header and booted up, what do you get? This would power the H100 pump and the CPU fan would register as the CPU_FAN to the motherboard. There are usually BIOS settings to tell the board to ignore a CPU_FAN failure and continue booting- this is how you get by using watecooling.

Make sense? Just a thought.
November 22, 2011 1:59:14 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Not necessarily, sometimes molex plugs only have 2 wires depending on the type of power needed. So, that user is likely correct that your molex is fine. I'm thinking you have a BIOS setting that needs to be adjusted- if you are using the CPU_FAN header, it may or may not be registering the pump header as the CPU fan and shutting down. If you attach the actual CPU fan header and connect the H100 pump line to another header and booted up, what do you get? This would power the H100 pump and the CPU fan would register as the CPU_FAN to the motherboard. There are usually BIOS settings to tell the board to ignore a CPU_FAN failure and continue booting- this is how you get by using watecooling.

Make sense? Just a thought.

Well that's where I connected the Dual Connection for the Noctua.Also I get no failure, the PC turns on.
If it didn't detect CPU_FAN would it allow the booting to continue?
November 22, 2011 2:01:09 PM

I just tried connecting the fans in a fan controller I had around to test if they worked, The fan on the right(not that it matters) worked, while the one on the left did not spin up.
Could the H100 not start because the not-working fan?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 22, 2011 2:14:16 PM

Quote:

No, if it is expecting a CPU fan it likely will shut down as part of the fail-safe by the motherboard. If you can plug in a valid CPU fan header (doesn't need to be mounted on the board at all) and keep the H100 setup as-is, but power it using a different connector, you might be able to determine what is causing it.

Your one fan not working could be an issue with not enough power being supplied to the fans via the power header, but you might just have a dead fan. Can the fan be plugged into a normal 3 pin?
November 22, 2011 2:35:42 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:

No, if it is expecting a CPU fan it likely will shut down as part of the fail-safe by the motherboard. If you can plug in a valid CPU fan header (doesn't need to be mounted on the board at all) and keep the H100 setup as-is, but power it using a different connector, you might be able to determine what is causing it.

Your one fan not working could be an issue with not enough power being supplied to the fans via the power header, but you might just have a dead fan. Can the fan be plugged into a normal 3 pin?

I tested with a 10-fan fan controller.It should work with 2, don't you think?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 22, 2011 2:45:50 PM

Quote:
I tested with a 10-fan fan controller.It should work with 2, don't you think?

Not sure I entirely follow you- if the H100 fans worked with the fan controller, they should work then. If they aren't, sounds like an issue with the MB CPU_FAN header not supplying enough power for the pump and the 2 fans all together. If you disconnect the fans from the pump, and leave the pump plugged into the CPU_FAN, does it boot up? You will be fine as long as the pump is running, the rad will work OK as passive for a little while.
November 22, 2011 3:02:17 PM

Only 1 fan out of 2 worked with the fan controller.
Going to test if it boots with no fans now.

It does boot with no fans plugged in the corsair.But the h100 still does not lid up.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 22, 2011 3:08:01 PM

So, sounds like you have a dead fan and a motherboard header that doesn't supply enough power. I'd RMA the H100 to get one with good fans out of the box (or just use another fan) and then you might consider setting your CPU_FAN alert setting off and using a molex to 3 pin adapter for the H100. It will run at 100%, but that's how you really want it, anyway.
November 22, 2011 3:19:19 PM

Ok so, I just tried using a molec adapter that converted a molex into another molex but with the cpu_fan slot too.I took the cable that was in the cpu fan in that, conected the h100 molex and one of h100 fans in the cpu_fan.

It still refused to light up, what I don't understand is how did it light up the first time...
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 22, 2011 3:37:42 PM

Not sure, but I wouldn't be willing to use a new cooler that the LED stopped working and one fan was dead out of the box. Unless for some reason your board caused these issues...it at least sounds like it doesn't push enough voltage to power the pump and the 2 fans on the CPU_FAN header. I'd RMA it and either get a new one, or decide what is best for you. I'm not sure what's going on with your board...what brand/model is it?
November 22, 2011 3:40:30 PM

My signature is updated apart from the cooler.
November 22, 2011 8:54:28 PM

I just recieved word(mail) from Corsair that the best course of action is to RMA the product.
I'm going to dis-mount it later and deliver it back to the store.(I won't RMA it directly to corsair because of 2 reasons: 1) it would take alot of time 2) the store has a free-no-questions-asked-policy-29 days return policy.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 22, 2011 9:41:25 PM

Probably in your best interest to just get a new cooler or your money back in this situation.
!