X58 Super computer sound problem

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi,

Im trying to connect my pc to my tv using hdmi. I need to use a spdif cable with the nvida 9800gx 2 to chanel the sound to the tv, and ive pluged it in on the spdif slot on my motherboard several ways with no result the spdif cable has a 2 pin conector red/black wires but the motherboard spdif slot has 3 pins.

These are 2 diagrams from the x58 super computer manual

Diagram in - onboard headers and connectors section.

Pin 1 - +5v
Pin 2 - Empty gap
Pin 3 - Spdif out
Pin 4 - Ground

Diagram in - pin header easy instalation guide.

Pin 1 - +5v
Pin 2 - Spdif
Pin 3 - Empty slot
Pin 4 - Ground

These diagrams are confusing as it is not clear witch diagram is correct.
Witch two connectors are required for it th work.

I can only connect the spdif cable to two of these, with the cable ive got. Do i need a new cable to fit all three pins. or can i fit it to two of them to get it work.

If i need to connect it to two of them can you tell me what i need to do next to get the sound working properly.

Thanks War994.

SYSTEM: Vista 64 bit ultra.
CPU I7 920
CPU COOLER: THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME + 120MM FAN.
PSU: THERMALTAKE 1500W
MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK X58 SUPERCOMPUTER
MEMORY: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600MHZ
SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE: OCZ CORE SERIES V2 60GB AS BOOT DRIVE.
HARD DRIVE: 300GB WD VELOCIERAPTOR.
GPU: NVIDIA 9800X2.
CD/DVD/BLURAY DRIVE.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
When I look at your mobo manual (p 38-39), it says the mobo comes with a SPDIF cable that has a BLACK 4-pin connector on one end that must connect to the mobo pinout. It actually only has two wires in it - blue on pin 3 for signal, and black on pin 4 for ground. Then at the other end you have a choice of two white connectors to plug into the SPDIF connector on your video card. Each has only blue and black wires, and your choice is a 2-pin or 3-pin connector on the video card. There is a cautionary note to plug this into only a connector for SPDIF, and not another similar-looking connector.

Does that not match up with what you actually have?

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi, Paperdoc

I think we have differant manuals because that information is on page 32 in my manual. I never got a spdif cable with my motherboard. But i have a spdif cable that came with my graphics card and i have connected it to my motherboard the way you have said and it did not work. So I think I may need to activate some thing in windows. I have selected digital out put device spdif . in the sound menu so far. I noticed on another system that there is a Hdmi option in the sound menu that I dont have in my list of options.

I would apreciate any ideas to try.

Regards War994

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm guessing the actual SPDIF digital output stream is created by the on-board sound chip in your mobo, then simply fed via the cable we're discussing into the video card. From there I would bet the video card merely makes those signals available on the HDMI connector - it does no processing of the SPDIF signals.

If that's the case, you will need to ensure that the BIOS settings for the on-board peripherals include activating the sound chip and ensuring it does output the SPDIF signals. Then you need to be sure that Windows is using the right drivers for the sound chip, and has enabled use of it to output sound signals on the SPDIF port. Then I would look carefully at the documentation for the video card, and its drivers, to ensure it is doing its part - accepting SPDIF input, and sending it out on the HDMI port.

My reading of the manual I saw says the cable connection is: blue is the signal, found on pin 3 of the mobo port, and black is Ground found on pin 4. I expect the video card also uses black as Ground and some other color (likely blue) as signal; further, I expect the cable they provided only attaches to their card one way. So you only need to ensure that, as you plug it into the mobo pinout, the black wire goes to pin 4 and the other to pin 3.

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Hi paperdoc

Thaks for the explination.
I have connected the SPDIF cable like you've said and i've enabled the settings on the bios, i also have the latest bios 2.50.

I will try these steps you have said.

Thanks For Your Help War994