Sign in with
Your question

ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 + i5-2500k Stable @ 4.3GHz

Last response: in Overclocking
November 22, 2011 12:07:46 AM

Well after looking all over online on guides and the liking I managed to pull off 4.3GHz on virtually stock voltages stable for 12hrs Prime95 blend and 50 passes with Intel Burn Test on High mode. Highest Temp on one of the cores was 57c however I have the junk putty that comes with the HSF and case airflow project is still under works.

Here's the small issue I'm having. It is 100% stable @ 1.215v vCore however I cannot seem to find a way to make the system stable when it's off full-load. I'm not certain the exact voltage but using llc3 and offset of -0.50v if memory serves me right it would idle at something like 0.825v. With the voltage that low the system would freeze not even BSOD.

That being said I have 2 questions for the community. Firstly I know running anything electrical at a lower voltage than designed makes the device work harder causing it to lower it's life. I also know over-volting causes the same problem. Only reason I'd prefer to use offset instead of fixed is because when it's idle I'd like to save power with it running at a lower voltage but when I load up BF3 I want the 1.215v to kick in for stability. One option I haven't tried yet was playing around with Turbo Additional Voltage however I fear that only kicks in when multi is 34x or higher. I might end up biting the bullet and run it 24.7 @ 1.215v.

Another quick question someone might know. The CPU running at 4.3GHz and a vCore of 1.215v shows in my monitoring services 79.9 ~ 83.5 TDP. Are these normal readings for a 2500k?

Here are screenies of my settings. Looking to achieve maximum stability + life of system. (And yes I know many people said 1.35v is 100% safe to run at but stock 2500k suits my needs. I must say however that I achieved 4.8GHz with 1.3v stable max temp 68c but happy with 4.3 lol 1GHz OC.)

a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2011 3:35:37 PM

Edit: Are you using the igpu? Asrock had a bios update to fix a freezing issue with the igpu because the default ipgu voltage was wrong.

Otherwise:

Set your llc to level 4 and you can raise the offset. This will keep the load vcore the same but raise the idle vcore so you can be stable.
November 23, 2011 1:27:30 AM

k1114 said:
Edit: Are you using the igpu? Asrock had a bios update to fix a freezing issue with the igpu because the default ipgu voltage was wrong.

Otherwise:

Set your llc to level 4 and you can raise the offset. This will keep the load vcore the same but raise the idle vcore so you can be stable.

I'm running the latest version of the bios 1.20 although I'm still running fixed voltages from last version. I'll reset all bios options to get the default value for the igpu. Waiting for a deal on a vid card from the egg until than integrated.

So llc4 and adjust the offset the voltage to accommodate for the change. Temperately I had to change it from -0.50v to -0.40v to fix the idle vcore.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2011 2:12:41 AM

Oh nvm that igpu voltage fix was released a week before the extreme3 was released, should've looked at the release date.
March 29, 2012 1:54:39 AM

Is this main post good settings for 2500k at 4.3? I have mine at 4.3, and i want to know the best settings for me to use. I was using settings for 4.3 at like 1.3V

Now I used these settings from the pictures above and its at 4.3 at like 1.24V i believe so? Is this stable and good as can get? or should i change some of the settings from above?
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 3:39:10 AM

Please don't bump posts.

No one can tell you if you are stable. You need to stress test yourself with prime95 or ibt. I usually do it overnight. No one can tell you what voltage you should have at a certain speed. This is also something you need to find out for yourself. Every cpu is different and also your other components can affect your oc. Even if someone has the exact same parts as yours, it will not be perfectly alike. So what works for them may not work for you. 1.24v seems about average. You can try to lower it as much as you can until you are unstable. At this speed, you don't need to change every setting like he did. Multi and vcore is all you really need to change.
!