Sign in with
Your question

Only 2gb usable, but 6gb available?

Last response: in Memory
February 26, 2010 1:13:27 AM

My computer reads that there are 6gb, but only 2gb is usable.

running windows 7, ultimate 64-bit.
pc specs:
i7-920 @2.67ghz (w/ CM hyper 212+)
GA-EX58-UD3R (just RMA'd to fix 2 broken RAM slots, strange huh?)
6gb (3 2gb sticks of Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333mhz ram)
640gb WD CB hdd

i tried changing the RAM voltage, reseating it (not RAM problem), just RMA'd the mobo, but could be a problem again? went into msconfig, advanced, boot unchecked the maximize memory, manually set it at 6144 too, and that didn't work too.

any solutions besides a fresh installation of win7? which i may try...but have seen that isnt the solution all the time

More about : 2gb usable 6gb

a b } Memory
February 26, 2010 7:36:06 AM

Have you tried updating your BIOS ?
m
l
February 26, 2010 8:47:23 AM

Yeah,

the things ive tried:
Clean install of Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Went to msconfig and unchecked the maximum memory (even tried checking it and manually setting it to 6144mb)
Checked bios, couldn't find memory remapping but read that my motherboard does it auto
Updated bios to latest version, FG
Reseated RAM 3 times in different slots
Reseated CPU and checked for bent pins, no problems.

m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2010 1:05:52 PM

Have you tried this:

Run:

Msconfig

Boot Tab

Advance options button

Make sure the max memory isn't checked, or if it is, that the amount is correct.
m
l
February 26, 2010 10:32:54 PM

Funny...this exact same thing happened to me just today. I've got the same configuration as the OP: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R with 6GB (2x3GB) RAM. Only 2GB was usable. Did what Huron mentioned, unchecked max memory, and I am back at 6GB.

Sorry you had to go through all that headache DRG. I think we've all been there. Sucks you had to find out the hard way. At least you got a nice clean install again. Always good to do that every now and then. I'm due for one pretty soon myself.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 26, 2010 10:37:42 PM

a) what Huron said

b) Checked your manual ? Are RAM modules installed in correct slots ?
m
l
a b } Memory
February 26, 2010 11:39:11 PM

Does your BIOS recognize all of the RAM?
More importantly, have you tried just on module at a time in every slot?

I know you mentioned in your orginal post that it isn't a RAM problem, and later you mentioned reseating the RAM 3 times, but I'm asking because you weren't specific about the configurations you've tried.
m
l
April 22, 2010 11:22:02 PM

I have a similar problem. I have 4GB of ram installed but windows 7 64 bit says "4GB (3.25GB available)."

I think it might have something to do with shared video memory.

Here are my specs:

This is what Windows 7 says:

And my shared video memory page:

Can I change the shared memory somehow?
What else can I do to unlock all 4GB of my RAM? I have tried going into msconfig and noticed the box saying "max ram" is unchecked. Also, I manually set it to 4096 MB and that didn't work. What's bothering me is that 64bit OS should recognize all of my RAM.

I have disabled the onboard VGA adapter.

My BIOS reports 4096 MB of ram.

Thanks in advance.
m
l
!