Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good setup and a good price?

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2009 5:13:25 PM

I'm having a friend build a system for me and I'm just wary of being gypped by getting older, obsolete parts compared to what's newer and available.
I need advice as to whether this sounds like a good setup.

Here's the specs:
$400 but it's all brand new parts w/1 year warranty..
it's Vista Home Premium on an E2200 Dual Core,
MSI Extreem Edition Motherboard,
4 GB 800Mhz DDR2,
250 GB WD Enterprise drive,
Optiarc dvd burner,
Nvidia 7300GS 16X PCI Express,
Realtek 7.1 Dolby Surround,
Mid-Tower w/ATX Power,
and extra case fans for cooling

I'm leery of anything that's a P4, since they're old and I can't find much positive info on the E2200 at all.
What's the diff between a Core2 and a Core2 Duo? Would one of those be a better processor than the E2200?

Thanks for your help!!

More about : good setup good price

September 8, 2009 8:00:51 PM

Core 2 is a family of processors, core 2 duo (the E2200 belongs to this branch) and core 2 quad are two branches of that family, they both run circles around any P4.

The E5200 and E5300 are priced pretty close to the E2200 and they're better, but an E2200 will still be miles ahead of a P4.

I wouldn't go for the Nvidia 7300GS, get an ATI HD 4650 instead, you can actually play games on it, unlike the 7300GS.
Also, if you've gone over your budget by now, get a cheaper motherboard, something like the ASUS P5KPl-AM will suit your needs just fine.
September 9, 2009 12:48:43 AM

Hi! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll send them on to my friend!
Related resources
September 9, 2009 12:51:56 AM

Here's more of what my friend said about the setup....is it true?

"Another benefit of the part selection i used..... If you choose down the road to go quad core, this setup is ready for it, just have to pop off the processor and pop in the quad... it uses the LGA775 architecture.. but right now in my opinion the quad's are a bit overpriced, in a year or so they will be reasonable enough to consider upgrading.. but like I was trying to get across, the huge single cores with HT are not for everyone, in what I do they are faster, in what others do they may not be.. cause like I said, when a core is limited to a ceiling it won't take advantage of larger number crunching programs.. the dual/quad core benefits are only felt when many smaller programs are run.. I tend to run huge intense programs, so if I had a core channel limited to 2.2 it would run the program 2.2, no more.. but I have 3.8, it can run that program with 3.8 ghz behind it instead of having it run 2.2, and then have another 2.2 channel sitting there twiddling it's thumbs.... the only multi core that gets around that limitation are the I7 processors, and they are unreasonably high right now $500+ just for the processor
September 9, 2009 1:46:40 AM

It's not a high horsepower system, but it is okay for an average user who browses the web, checks email, maybe store some MP3's, plug your Ipod in, print some school or work papers, run Microsoft office etc.
It is not a movie watching system.
It is not a gaming system.
That 7300GS is a real standout weak point of the system.
It simply is a pitiful completely outdated excuse for a video card.
However, it is a $400 system. You are not going to get the best for that kind of money.
The hard drive, I would probably rate about as high as I did the video card.
The motherboard, yeah its okay.
The processor, not too bad.
The memory, yeah, it'll work fine too.
The Sound, well you know it is simply the standard on-board. It's fine.
What about the PSU, if you ever want to upgrade that dud of a video card, I bet the PSU in the tower is likely bottom rung....you'll have to upgrade it too.
1 year warranty? Okay, that is actually pretty decent for the price, and a shining point in considering this system.

So there, my 2 cents. Only you know for sure how you will be using the system.
Is it worth the $400, yes it is absolutely..... if the system fits your needs.
September 9, 2009 6:44:25 AM

kmodek said:
Here's more of what my friend said about the setup....is it true?

"Another benefit of the part selection i used..... If you choose down the road to go quad core, this setup is ready for it, just have to pop off the processor and pop in the quad... it uses the LGA775 architecture.. but right now in my opinion the quad's are a bit overpriced, in a year or so they will be reasonable enough to consider upgrading.. but like I was trying to get across, the huge single cores with HT are not for everyone, in what I do they are faster, in what others do they may not be.. cause like I said, when a core is limited to a ceiling it won't take advantage of larger number crunching programs.. the dual/quad core benefits are only felt when many smaller programs are run.. I tend to run huge intense programs, so if I had a core channel limited to 2.2 it would run the program 2.2, no more.. but I have 3.8, it can run that program with 3.8 ghz behind it instead of having it run 2.2, and then have another 2.2 channel sitting there twiddling it's thumbs.... the only multi core that gets around that limitation are the I7 processors, and they are unreasonably high right now $500+ just for the processor

Well, the E2200 or E5200/E5300 are dual cores and dual cores blow every single core HT processor out of the water because they are simply more advanced (a core 2 duo with one core disabled is still faster than a P4 with the same clockspeed, because of the better tech.) The motherboard I suggested also has the LGA 775 slot (it's the only slot core 2 duos and core 2 quads will fit on.)

Anyway, don't get the 7300GS, it's a waste of money, you can probably get a HD 4650 for $20 more and it's performance is stellar compared to the 7300GS.
September 9, 2009 12:12:25 PM

By the way, your "friend" does not have a flippin clue. Buying a P4 these days is like going out and buying a 1974 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. Yeah, it may haul a lot of crap, but there are just so many reasons why you don't want it.
September 9, 2009 4:12:02 PM

jitpublisher said:
By the way, your "friend" does not have a flippin clue. Buying a P4 these days is like going out and buying a 1974 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. Yeah, it may haul a lot of crap, but there are just so many reasons why you don't want it.

I completely agree: anyone telling you to get a P4 doesn't know what he's talking about.
September 9, 2009 4:33:11 PM

Which version of OS are you using? 32 or 64? If you're using 32 bits system, you might save some by getting 2GB of RAMs of the same speed, or opt for 2GB of RAMs of higher clock speed.
September 9, 2009 4:40:11 PM

dragoon190 said:
Which version of OS are you using? 32 or 64? If you're using 32 bits system, you might save some by getting 2GB of RAMs of the same speed, or opt for 2GB of RAMs of higher clock speed.

Yep, no point in getting RAM clocked higher than DDR 533 (that would still allow a 33% overclock with a E2xxx or E5xxx CPU), I would recommend getting 4gb though (3gb would be the sweet spot, but that's impossible to get with dual channel.)
September 10, 2009 5:26:03 PM

Im not into heavy gaming, just some kids games for my daughter. I just don't want to buy something and find out it's outdated or that I couldve gotten something better if I'd been more informed!
Also, upgrading in the future needs to be possible- processor, HD, RAM, etc. I want to go with 64-bit also.

Any suggestions on the best core 2 duo that won't be out of date, but also isn't the slowest available? What mobo would be best for it AND leave open the option to upgrade?
Thanks!
September 13, 2009 7:34:53 PM

E2200 or E5200 would be good (get a cheap Asus mobo with a G31 chipset) you can always upgrade them to core 2 quads if you want to, but not i5 or i7 quadcore, they use different sockets.

September 13, 2009 10:02:21 PM

Personally dude, look into an AMD rig. AMD's are cheap now, but you can still get good performance, and will have a lot better upgrade path down the line. 775 is pretty well a dead platform imo.

Btw, as far as reliability, I can understand that maybe you've never used anything but intel, personally, I've been working with computers and on them since about 1997, and whenever I've built a personal rig, have used an AMD chip every time because of preference, price and performance. No problems with the chips, have always had good luck with them. And I'm about to upgrade to hopefully an AMD quad this year sometime.

Check this out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

254 bucks will get you an AM2+ board, dual core chip at 2.8 ghz, 4 gb of ram, and 500 gb hard drive. Nice thing about the AM2+ board, when you want to go quad, you should just be able to drop in a socket AM3 quad later with a bios update and have it continue running. Also getting 4 gb of ram here, faster than what is suggested currently.

ATI 4670 video card, 70 bucks, but WAY better than the 7300gs. Trust me, I've got a card that is only slightly better than the 4670, I upgraded from a 7300LE and it's a night and day difference.

So 255+70=325 left.

Case, plain, but cheap. 30 bucks, free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Up to 355.

29 for LiteOn DVD burner.

OCZ 400 watt power supply, 2 12v+ rails, rated at 18 amps each. 50 bucks, but 40 after 10 dollar mail in rebate.

Without rebates, I think you are looking at just under 435, plus shipping. If you want to cut the cost, maybe grab a 4650 instead of a 4670 which would save about 15-20 bucks, it's a little over what you wanted to spend, but compared to the other build, should really rock.

Also, I know the other build was going to use a power supply that came with the case, so you might be tempted to grab a cheap one, don't do that. Take it from someone with experience, a cheap power supply can go out, and take out your machine, I think I even once had a motherboard go bad possibly because of a cheap power supply.
September 13, 2009 11:28:37 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Personally dude, look into an AMD rig. AMD's are cheap now, but you can still get good performance, and will have a lot better upgrade path down the line. 775 is pretty well a dead platform imo.

Btw, as far as reliability, I can understand that maybe you've never used anything but intel, personally, I've been working with computers and on them since about 1997, and whenever I've built a personal rig, have used an AMD chip every time because of preference, price and performance. No problems with the chips, have always had good luck with them. And I'm about to upgrade to hopefully an AMD quad this year sometime.

Check this out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

254 bucks will get you an AM2+ board, dual core chip at 2.8 ghz, 4 gb of ram, and 500 gb hard drive. Nice thing about the AM2+ board, when you want to go quad, you should just be able to drop in a socket AM3 quad later with a bios update and have it continue running. Also getting 4 gb of ram here, faster than what is suggested currently.

ATI 4670 video card, 70 bucks, but WAY better than the 7300gs. Trust me, I've got a card that is only slightly better than the 4670, I upgraded from a 7300LE and it's a night and day difference.

So 255+70=325 left.

Case, plain, but cheap. 30 bucks, free shipping.

Up to 355.

29 for LiteOn DVD burner.

OCZ 400 watt power supply, 2 12v+ rails, rated at 18 amps each. 50 bucks, but 40 after 10 dollar mail in rebate.

Without rebates, I think you are looking at just under 435, plus shipping. If you want to cut the cost, maybe grab a 4650 instead of a 4670 which would save about 15-20 bucks, it's a little over what you wanted to spend, but compared to the other build, should really rock.

Also, I know the other build was going to use a power supply that came with the case, so you might be tempted to grab a cheap one, don't do that. Take it from someone with experience, a cheap power supply can go out, and take out your machine, I think I even once had a motherboard go bad possibly because of a cheap power supply.

Keep the AMD fanboism to yourself and no, that Newegg deal isn't right for the OP: an E5200 + Asus P5KPLM-AM + 500GB 7200 HDD + 4GB Corsair 533 Value select will be much cheaper and do the job just as well, now I'm not saying there's no AMD equivalent to what I described, but there's no need to look for it as it won't be cheaper than this.
September 14, 2009 12:58:12 AM

Fanboism...hmm your build might be cheaper except the fact it will be a dead end for upgrades. And part of op's requirements are to be upgradeable, now with an AM2+ board and ddr2 it may be more limited, but should take an am3 quad down the road.

http://en.hardspell.com/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=6438&page...

Also, looks like the 240 is even ahead of the e5300 hundred for performance.

Not even sure your build is cheaper. I see no e5200 on newegg. However the e5300 with that mobo is 125 bucks, 69 for the chip alone. The Athlon 2 is 60.

Let me see if I can cut some more fat off the build.

Athlon 2, x2 240 regor-60

Everyone says not to go with nvidia chipsets, but my board has an nvidia chipset and has done ok. And we are on a budget.

MSI GF615M-P33 AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Micro ATX AMD Motherboard-55 bucks

This will add some cost, but this board uses ddr3, so it should be a little more future proof as far as upgrading.

4 gb crucial DDR3 1333(be sure to double check mobo compatibility before buying however.)-73 bucks

WD 320 gb hard drive-50

238 so far.

Forgot about this card earlier..

ASUS 9600 gso 512 mb-55 bucks, 35 after a mail in rebate, should perform about as well as the 4670, and the listed power supply should run it.

293 so far.

With everything, counting the above case and dvd drive and power supply, should be looking at 402 bucks. 2 bucks above your price plus shipping.

I don't know much about the MSI board, but it looks like the cheapest you will find for an AMD ddr3 board. This build I think would give you decent upgrade options down the line, and is still cutting some off the original build, and still performing the same or better than the intel build.

Also, check out 3btech.net, I believe all orders have free shipping, including cases I think if you want a little more choice in the budget range, I personally have never ordered from them, but a good friend of mine has and he said they are awesome to deal with and stand behind their products.

EDIT *Scratch the 4670 altogether, while ATI makes good cards, this deal will cut $$ off the build and still deliver equal performance.

Also, if you wanted better upgradeability than the above motherboard can give, maybe look at this motherboard.

It's 80 bucks so not good for the budget, but does give you more ram slots for later and seems rated highly as well.

September 21, 2009 2:24:46 AM

Thanks for the additional ideas!
Actually, I've ONLY had AMD's! Never had an Intel, but my dad has a sucky Celeron. I'd like to have a Phenom ii x2.... I plan on eventually doing some photo editing in Photoshop, and mobile programming too, so I'd like to keep it awhile. I've got a laptop now with an Athlon 64 x2 and only 80 gb HD, which is pretty much full.
I definitely want 500 gb next time around. Hopefully that'll last awhile!
I don't care much about sound or anything. I do mostly web stuff right now, mainly cuz that's all I CAN do. I just hate trying to do things and it takes 30 or more seconds just to open a program. I guess we're impatient nowdays, but we've grown to expect instant results from our computers.
!