Sign in with
Your question

Hidden files on external HD

Last response: in Storage
July 4, 2011 6:11:44 AM

Hello,
I have a WD 1.5TB HD with all of my music stored on it. When I open itunes it displays and plays all 5,000+ songs I have. The problem is the HD only shows folders for artists A-M. When I try to copy the music from itunes back to my HD it tells me a folder with the same name already exists. The HD is formatted NTFS and is set to show all hidden files including sytem files. Any help would be much appreciated.

More about : hidden files external

a c 104 G Storage
July 4, 2011 3:57:40 PM

Hello, & Welcome to the Forum!

So, on the ITunes server, all your files are present, but on your local computer, you see just the first half of the alphabet?

What appl are you using to categorize or file your mp3 files? Does it store you tunes in a catalog or database, or are you just placing them all in a folder or library in Windows 7? If in Win-7, did you click on say the date colume heading to order them differently than alphabetical

Might give us an idea how your file structure is set up for your music
Also please double check in Tools, Folder Options, on the View tab, that both the 'show hidden files and filders radio button is selected, and the checkbox 'hide file extensions of known file types is unchecked.

that way we will have better information to get to the bottom of this problem
m
l
July 4, 2011 9:52:34 PM

First off I'm still using Windows XP. I categorized and placed all of my music files on th HD myself and then put them on itunes. I tried clicking on a different colum heading with no success. The "show hidden files and folders" button is checked and "hide file extensions of known file types" is unchecked as well as the other 2 buttons. I have also tried using the searching tool and still can't find them.
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
July 4, 2011 10:58:37 PM

packer96 said:
First off I'm still using Windows XP. I categorized and placed all of my music files on th HD myself and then put them on itunes. I tried clicking on a different colum heading with no success. The "show hidden files and folders" button is checked and "hide file extensions of known file types" is unchecked as well as the other 2 buttons. I have also tried using the searching tool and still can't find them.

There are ways to hide file and folder names from appearing in the file structure. If familiar with the cmd prompt, might start it up from the Accessories subfolder, and move to the file folder that houses your music files, and see if the missing ones are there. You can use the attrib command to see if any have the +h, +s, +r attributes set. Other thing to check is in the search applet, search for *.mp3 (or whatever file format your music is in) and see if they show up by that method.
m
l
July 5, 2011 1:18:43 AM

try using a program like media monkey, it lets you control where your ipod stores lets you see your music.
m
l
!