Rattle--N--Hum

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Is there a raid setup which utilizes all disk space instead of truncating it? IF SO....

I am getting 4 seagates 2tb each and was wondering If I setup the 4 under raid 1,0 on the motherboard, and the SSD utilizing either an app or windows raid imulation; could I combine the 2 speeds? the setup I have would (according to posts) would be about as fast as the SSD. This would be fruitless of course if the first question is a no.

IF YES; please dont ask me why would I want to do that. Im a tinkerer and that is the only reason I need unless it could feasibly be detrimental.

LordConrad

Distinguished
In a RAID 1-0 configuration you will have 4TB of storage, because two of the drives will be used as a mirrored backup of the first two (if one RAID 0 array fails, you have another ready to take over). If you setup a RAID 5 array, you will have 6TB of storage and be able to have one drive fail without losing your data. Storage wise, you will get more from a RAID 5 setup. As far as combining speeds, I'm not sure what you mean but this may answer your question: In a RAID 1-0 array, only one RAID 0 array is read from and written to, the other array is simply an invisible backup copy.

Rattle--N--Hum

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
What I was wanting to do was to have essentially 2 hard drives (one a super fast but small SSD and the other a raid 1,0) of different proportions; however after doing some research, i think Im just going to setup a symbolic link for my program files and have the OS portion only on the SSD.