HDD disappears during copy

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Been a while since I've been on this forum. Hope all is well.

Just built a new rig. Specs are as follows:

i7 2600K
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb x 2
Seagate Barracuda XT 2Tb x 4
Silvertone Strider 1500W
GTX 480 tri SLI

After installing Win7 on SSD, system recognized all 6 SSD/HDDs.

Moving/Copying files gives me the following:

"An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. Error 0x8007048: The device is not connected"

Then the drive disappears from My Computer until reboot. The drive is also not recognized in Disk Management or Device Manager until reboot.

Also, transfer rates seems low. ~70Mbs. Strange numbers for SATA3 storage IMO.

A reboot will recognize the lost disk until I perform another copy function.

I have connected disks as follows :

SSD 1-Intel SATA3 connector,
SSD 2-Intel SATA3 connector,
HDD 1-Marvel SATA3 connector,
HDD 2-Marvel SATA3 connector,
HDD 3-Intel SATA2 connector,
HDD 4-Intel SATA2 connector,
ODD 1-Intel SATA2 connector.

CPU/VGA are at stock.
Have connected extra Molex connectors to power MB.
Have checked connections/cables. Cables are all SATA3.
HDDs have been set to AHCI in BIOS.
BIOS/Drivers are up to date.
All important Windows updates (including SP1) have been installed.
The 4 HDDs are running off a common backplane (ie all 4 HDDs are run off a single power cable) as found in Corsair 800D case. I installed the SATA3 board.
Seagate firmware is up to date.

The rig is watercooled so I don't want to disassemble/drain loop until necessary.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

roald

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
You seem to be talking about your SSD drives. Did you upgrade their firmware? You can use the following link to go directly to the correct page on the OCZ site.

Also i have a Vertex 2 drive which did not work well with the Intel RST 10 drivers. OCZ doesn't mention any problems with them regarding Vertex 3 but you could investigate that.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Update:

I think I isolated the source. The 800D comes with a SATA backplane where 4 HDDs are connected into a common PCB powered by a single power connector.
When I hot swapped the HDDs, windows would recognize the disk again until the problem reoccurred.
After removing the backplane and directly connecting to the HDD, I seem to have fixed the issue. Copying/moving/transfer speeds/stability seem OK so far.
Will monitor situation.

jstyles_80

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

You pretty much have the same build I do... Ran into the same issue, but it was not the backplane on the 800D. I originally was trying to raid 0 my SSD's on the marvell controller and have a raid 10 on my sata disk which was connected to the intel controller. What i had to do to fix the issue was use the intel controller for all my drives. so the 6 red sata connections will be your SSD/HDD (set this to raid-mode) use the gray (set to ACHI) for your dvd rom or any other sata device you may have. Should be good to go after that. Also, make sure you have all the controllers enabled in the bios, but they should be set that way if you are running ASUS optimized setttings.

P.S. Firmware for your Vertex3's are at 2.11 now ;)